Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2015, 10:19 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
there is no month-to-month service, they just tout it as 10 dollars per month to make it seem cheaper by charging you 10 per month towards your 120 owed.
There is also no option to pay annually which I would be glad to do. Instead they charge your card each month. I suspect this has something to do with the licensing model. They want to check in each month. Puzzling why that could not be annual as well but perhaps they have a reason.

---------- Post added 06-07-15 at 10:21 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
https://www.digikam.org/about I use Digikam primarily to handle my archives and leave developing Raws to Darktable and final editing to Gimp. But Digikam has its own Raw converter and editing capabilities.
Interesting, lots of features. Curious that I've never heard of it before. Good to know there is another option out there if Adobe ever makes me mad.

06-07-2015, 02:44 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm a natural contrarian, and the most popular option is usually the last one I'll consider. So. . . With Aperture going away, the last thing I wanted was to switch to Lightroom. I figured the user interface would be awful. Also, some years ago when I used other Adobe products, I found my interactions with the company rather annoying. However. . . I can be led to water.

So, this afternoon I went out and shot a series of test shots, under less-than-ideal conditions, with my Q7 and the 06 tele-zoom lens. I imported them into LR 6, started to fiddle around with them. Man, this program works great!

My three most-used adjustments are crop, straighten, exposure. Crop and straighten work differently from what I'm used to in Aperture, but just as well. Exposure adjustment works much better. I'm not sure what Adobe's programmers know that the guys at Apple didn't, but that exposure slider works wonders on a raw file.

LR has lens corrections built-in, which is something Aperture never had. I had to use PTLens for that, but PTLens didn't have calibration data for my Q7's lenses. LR understands them. I now begin to realize just how much Aperture suffered from Apple's neglect before they finally abandoned it completely.

I figured LR's user interface would be painful after years spent on Aperture. From what I've seen thus far, it's not so bad. It's not even drastically different.

I'm sold.
06-07-2015, 03:57 PM   #33
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
I'm a natural contrarian, and the most popular option is usually the last one I'll consider. So. . . With Aperture going away, the last thing I wanted was to switch to Lightroom. I figured the user interface would be awful. Also, some years ago when I used other Adobe products, I found my interactions with the company rather annoying. However. . . I can be led to water.

So, this afternoon I went out and shot a series of test shots, under less-than-ideal conditions, with my Q7 and the 06 tele-zoom lens. I imported them into LR 6, started to fiddle around with them. Man, this program works great!

My three most-used adjustments are crop, straighten, exposure. Crop and straighten work differently from what I'm used to in Aperture, but just as well. Exposure adjustment works much better. I'm not sure what Adobe's programmers know that the guys at Apple didn't, but that exposure slider works wonders on a raw file.

LR has lens corrections built-in, which is something Aperture never had. I had to use PTLens for that, but PTLens didn't have calibration data for my Q7's lenses. LR understands them. I now begin to realize just how much Aperture suffered from Apple's neglect before they finally abandoned it completely.

I figured LR's user interface would be painful after years spent on Aperture. From what I've seen thus far, it's not so bad. It's not even drastically different.

I'm sold.
If the editing you are wanting to do is that simple why not just use picasa. It does cropping,straightening and exposure brilliantly. I am a linux user but I have 2 installs of picasa, one running on wine and the most important one is on a virtual xp build. It is my printing app. (Linux doesn't do printing well).
I have just checked and it seems to be supporting DNG fine.
Picasa is a superb archive sorter and does a great job of simple editing.
06-07-2015, 04:03 PM   #34
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If the editing you are wanting to do is that simple why not just use picasa. It does cropping,straightening and exposure brilliantly.
It does all of those very well ... noise reduction, not so much. :-)

06-07-2015, 04:48 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If the editing you are wanting to do is that simple why not just use picasa.
Never heard of it.

I'll look that up.
06-07-2015, 05:21 PM   #36
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
There is also no option to pay annually which I would be glad to do. Instead they charge your card each month. I suspect this has something to do with the licensing model. They want to check in each month. Puzzling why that could not be annual as well but perhaps they have a reason.

If you are interested in that, the full 12 months in one lump sum can be paid if buying through B&H or Amazon

Actually, I see 'Annual, prepaid' option at adobe too.. so it is there.
06-07-2015, 06:11 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
If you are interested in that, the full 12 months in one lump sum can be paid if buying through B&H or Amazon Actually, I see 'Annual, prepaid' option at adobe too.. so it is there.
Did not know that, thanks. I remember looking on the Adobe site for that when I signed up and it said the only option was a monthly charge. Doesn't really matter except an additional line item on the card each month.

Just checked and see what you mean, but that option was not there initially, must have been a requested change.

---------- Post added 06-07-15 at 06:12 PM ----------

And I would be interested if they gave you a discount for annual but they don't so they can just charge me every month.