Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2015, 02:36 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Photoshop online - Photoshop CC ... What to do ??

I have been thinking about "upgrading" to Photoshop CC: is this the same as what some call the "online" or "cloud" version?

It says that it is the "Adobe Creative Cloud" and is $9.99 per month.

Is it really worth doing this? .... I used to have an "older" version which has been flushed out of the PC a long time ago.

Thanks!

JP

06-04-2015, 02:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I have been thinking about "upgrading" to Photoshop CC: is this the same as what some call the "online" or "cloud" version?

It says that it is the "Adobe Creative Cloud" and is $9.99 per month.

Is it really worth doing this? .... I used to have an "older" version which has been flushed out of the PC a long time ago.

Thanks!

JP
YES!

I love my CC subscription, I've been on it for 2 years now. constant frequent updates, don't have to shell out $1000+ every year for a new version of Photoshop plus $160 for lightroom. a much better model. sure you don't "own" the software. but what good is the software when its out of date and no longer being updated?
06-04-2015, 02:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
CC is the lightroom/photoshop combo you get for $10 a month. That is the only way Photoshop is available, however Lightroom is promised to be a a stand alone download...for now. But yes CC is the cloud version. Is it worth it...I don't know, I don't ever use Photoshop, so for me, not really. I use Lightroom, and if lightroom goes to cloud only, I will move to another software company
06-04-2015, 02:53 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, IF you use Photoshop. I would never have bought stand alone PS, I do not use it enough but since I have it I am learning and using it more. If all you use is Lightroom then it is not such a good deal. $120 per year versus $80 per year for LR updates. But $120 per year for Lightroom plus Photoshop, yes that is a good deal.

Now, do we trust Adobe to stay at that price? Or not raise it dramatically after they have us all hooked? I don't know but I think if they do someone will have an alternative and we can all jump to that.

06-04-2015, 03:06 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If you want photoshop, it boils down to paying the $10 per month or paying a lot for a boxed version of CS6, which is no longer in stores as far as I know.

It's really not a bad deal.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-04-2015, 03:37 PM   #6

YES! You will always have the updated version of everything.
06-04-2015, 03:59 PM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
The CC route works well for me and my needs.

06-04-2015, 06:04 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks to all for the comments which are appreciated.

Once you opt for that route, how much space will this "cloud" software occupy on my SSD ?
Is it as "good" as the boxed version(s)?
Any glitches while using it ?

So, if this is a "cloud" software, you wouldn't be able to use it if, let's say, your internet browser goes off ?

JP
06-04-2015, 06:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Thanks to all for the comments which are appreciated.

Once you opt for that route, how much space will this "cloud" software occupy on my SSD ?
Is it as "good" as the boxed version(s)?
Any glitches while using it ?

So, if this is a "cloud" software, you wouldn't be able to use it if, let's say, your internet browser goes off ?

JP
-just like Google doc, all the spaces are provided by Adobe in the 'cloud' aka Internet server space.
-I think it should be as good as boxed version, and certainly the most up to date.
-the only thing you need to be concerned with is your Internet connection (if you have no connection, you obviously can not use it) and also the connection speed.
-Again, if you have no Internet connection and/or browser, you are out of luck.

But of course, you have advantages too especially when you don't have enough space to install the standalone PS+LR software, and you can use it on any computers/laptops.
06-04-2015, 06:51 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
So, to summarize:

1. Photoshop available ONLY when you're connected. If the connection is lost, for whatever reason, you're bummed!
2. Saving on HDD/SSD space.
3. I assume you can still save your pictures on the PC.
06-04-2015, 06:57 PM   #11
Pentaxian

So, to summarize:

1. Photoshop available ONLY when you're connected. If the connection is lost, for whatever reason, you're bummed!
2. Saving on HDD/SSD space.
3. I assume you can still save your pictures on the PC.
No.

1) Your photos/files are not in the cloud (unless you want them to be). The programs don't "run from the cloud" -- they are installed on your machine as usual. You only have to connect every 30 days if you want (just to make sure you license is active). Everything runs and is stored on your computer as normal.
2) See #1
3) See #1

The main thing is if you use features of the program that make your PSD file of an image incompatible to open with old versions (by using new features), the second you cancel your subscription you won't be able to open that file anymore. However, you can flatten it so it can be opened in old versions or other programs (for printing, for instance), and you can of course re-start your subscription to re-gain access.
06-04-2015, 07:21 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
1) Your photos/files are not in the cloud (unless you want them to be). The programs don't "run from the cloud" -- they are installed on your machine as usual. You only have to connect every 30 days if you want (just to make sure you license is active). Everything runs and is stored on your computer as normal.
2) See #1
3) See #1

The main thing is if you use features of the program that make your PSD file of an image incompatible to open with old versions (by using new features), the second you cancel your subscription you won't be able to open that file anymore. However, you can flatten it so it can be opened in old versions or other programs (for printing, for instance), and you can of course re-start your subscription to re-gain access.
This!
06-04-2015, 07:28 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
No.

2) See #1
3) See #1

Thanks !

Any idea about the size of the (Photoshop) software to be installed on the PC?
06-04-2015, 08:29 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Thanks !

Any idea about the size of the (Photoshop) software to be installed on the PC?
About the same as before, if you had any versions before. There is probably a trial -- install it and find out...
06-04-2015, 08:32 PM   #15
Pentaxian

It's a pretty big download. Photoshop CC is 2.84 GB. Lightroom is 1.42 GB. Bridge is another 1.29 GB. Add to that the Adobe CC update software and a few other apps that come with it all (but you probably won't use. I never use Bridge). Once you sign up, start the downloads and go mow the lawn or something. Even with broadband it can take a couple of hours.

BTW...I got those file sizes looking at them in the Windows Control Panel. They are the most recent updates.