Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2015, 02:47 PM   #1
Forum Member

Best Format for Printing

Hello everyone.
My client wants to print pictures out on a size of 1,5m x 1,2m (about 4,9 feet x 3.9 f) and I don't know how to deliver the file. Pdf is fairly huge.
Suggestions?

Best regards and Thanks in advance

06-14-2015, 03:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A .tif is best for a picture but you had better be shooting raw and converting to a .tif with a 645Z to obtain good quality at that size.
06-14-2015, 03:20 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you, I was going wit 300dpi (from a RAW) I'm affraid I'll get a 1GB TIFF out of it though
06-14-2015, 03:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

You do not need nor should you go for 300dpi when printing at such sizes.

06-14-2015, 03:36 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
You do not need nor should you go for 300dpi when printing at such sizes.
what do you recommend?
06-14-2015, 03:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Corgi Quote
what do you recommend?
Can you ask the printer that will do the final printing. It will be depending on where it will be viewed. You can get pretty low at large sizes that will be viewed from further away.
06-14-2015, 04:03 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Concur with asking printer if possible. If not, I got this chart from this site.

Printing > Which Resolution? > Long Answer > 1 - Print Size & Viewing Distance

As you can see the dpi on a large print can be a rather small number. It's all about the viewing distance. According to chart you could go with 32dpi (round up to 36). If the viewing distance is likely to be closer, bump it up. 72dpi or 144dpi would most likely yield good results.

Format should definitely be TIFF unless printer asks for something else.

Attached Images

06-14-2015, 04:54 PM   #8
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have made a number of 2 ft x 3 ft w/ 180 dpi (for Epson printer) and that will make a big change in file size (about 1/3 the size of the 300 dpi). As you still want persons who stand close to look to not be taken aback, I would think this is a reasonable size--as you cannot control the viewing distance. w/ Epson anyway I believe it is recommended to use a integer divisor of 720 dpi. Vis-a-vis resolution many of these were fairly significant crop from a K20d, and in a few cases a moderate upsampling w/ photshop--and they looked/showed fine.

And I also used tiff--as I gave the files out for printing/that is what was desired. I suggest you make sure what color space they are using and set same when you create tiff file. Or you set it and advise them to use same. I used prophoto RGB.

Last edited by dms; 06-14-2015 at 05:00 PM.
06-14-2015, 06:29 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you compress your TIFF file the size should be somewhat manageable.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-14-2015, 11:59 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A lot of printers will not work with compressed .tiff files. The preference is usually unlayered, uncompressed and unprofiled.
06-15-2015, 01:21 AM   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
preference is usually
Just a quick aside... just noticed your very cool location place, how on earth did you manage that.