Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2015, 08:49 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Sources for ink? (Epson Artisan 1430 Claria cartridges)

Recommendations for good alternative ink suppliers are appreciated.

A new set of 6 cartridges(*) costs $120. It looks like Epson tightly controls the resale price, with Epson's direct price being the same price as most dealers. Amazon does not directly sell the cartridges. Some 3rd party dealers claim to sell genuine cartridges for $80 but they come in shrink wrapped plastic rather than boxes. That sounds shady to me; could be expired cartridges (tossing the box hides the expiration date) or counterfeit.

Then there are the "compatible ink" manufacturers selling for much less. Some companies are reliable but I don't want to deal with custom color profiles to get off-spec ink to work. Have any of you dealt with good third party ink suppliers whose ink that matches the original ink colors?

(*) Epson 79 (aka T079) Claria ink

06-15-2015, 11:08 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And a new Artisan 1430, with six ink cartridges, sells for around $240 from Epson. Printer companies make their profit on ink, I think!
06-15-2015, 12:39 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've been pretty happy with Hobbicolors ink on my Canon. Except the time I put the red ink in the photo magenta cartridge and all my photos looked really awful for a while (I ended up having to buy a new cartridge to get rid of the red cast)

And yes, that is where printer companies make their money. Just like razor companies make their money on blades and video game console manufacturers make their money on games.
06-15-2015, 12:54 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I used these guys on my last Epson 1400. Never had a problem with their inks.

Epson Artisan 1430 Inkjet Printer Supplies

06-15-2015, 01:08 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I've done a bit more searching and found inkxpro Refillable Ink Cartridge for Epson 1430. Haven't placed the order yet.

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
I've been pretty happy with Hobbicolors ink on my Canon
Bad news for you: It looks like the hobbicolors.com domain is for sale and their ebay store says they are "temporarily" closing to reorganize.

QuoteOriginally posted by waterfall Quote
...Printer companies make their profit on ink, I think!
Absolutely. The Epson is for my photo printing. I also have a $60 Canon scanner/copier/printer that doesn't get used much. When that ink runs out after 2 years I buy whatever new model is at the wholesale club because it's cheaper than buying ink.
06-18-2015, 08:37 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Putting some closure on this thread. I ordered the 6 refillable cartridges and ink from inkxpro.com Refillable Ink Cartridge for Epson 1430. Received them yesterday and installed last night. Print colors are indistinguishable from the original Epson cartridges - I held before and after prints side by side and can't see a difference.

Initial filling was not intuitive. There's an air vent plug and a fill plug on each cartridge but no indicator to indicate which is which. Putting ink into the air vent by mistake can ruin the cartridge. The inkxpro website knowledge base had PDFs that clarified the process.

I estimate future refills will take less than 5 minutes now that I know the process. Total cost under $80 for the cartridges and enough ink for ~10 refills. Cartridges from Epson would cost ~$1200 for the same amount of printing.
06-18-2015, 12:41 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Bad news for you: It looks like the hobbicolors.com domain is for sale and their ebay store says they are "temporarily" closing to reorganize.
Bummer. I probably won't need any more ink for a year or two though, so by then maybe they'll be back... or I'll just find another supplier. I don't print that much, and I have either 4 or 8 ounce bottles, I forget which, and only the black and photo magenta are below 2/3 full.