Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
06-16-2015, 12:25 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Lightroom CC gets new features ... Lightroom 6.1 doesn't

Sigh.

June updates to CC Photography

Welp, I should have expected this, knowing Adobe. But less than two months removed from the release of LR6 this feels like a particularly nasty slap in the face of its paying customers.

If only there were a satisfactory alternative*.

* In my case that means nondestructive editing, good camera support, good denoise that isn't too fussy, and capable cloning and healing that can easily be copied/pasted from shot to shot. Others may have different preferences/needs.

06-16-2015, 12:38 PM   #2
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Downloading updates for LR6.1 as I type

Mate, go to the help menu drop down 'updates', the link clearly states LR6 is included with the updates, and it is updating for me right now.
06-16-2015, 12:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Similar 'dehaze' has been in DxO for a year or more, silly of Adobe not to make it available for the stand-alone LR. But it is just a contrast and vibrance thing anyhow. One could probably make some LR presets to emulate the effect.

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
If only there were a satisfactory alternative*.
Capture One probably ticks all your boxes. Even does layers.
06-16-2015, 12:39 PM   #4
Pentaxian

that was clear from beginning they need to generate a reason to move to this cloud...

06-16-2015, 12:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
Mate, go to the help menu drop down 'updates', the link clearly states LR6 is included with the updates, and it is updating for me right now.
Let us know how it goes for you.

Adobe clearly states:
QuoteQuote:
Lightroom CC on the desktop
Dehaze*

* Please note that these features are not available in the standalone version of Lightroom 6.1.
06-16-2015, 12:50 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Well, presumably dehaze will be in the next standalone LR, if there is one. That's the difference -- CC gets features as they are released, standalone gets lens/camera/bug updates and major new features go in the next version (which is what it has always done, but now you get to be envious of the new features that CC gets incrementally). CC has no version number, it just is updated often with new stuff. So the argument is I guess that CC shouldn't get anything new until a certain amount of time has passed since the standalone was released because it seems unfair?
06-16-2015, 02:04 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Well, presumably dehaze will be in the next standalone LR, if there is one. That's the difference -- CC gets features as they are released, standalone gets lens/camera/bug updates and major new features go in the next version (which is what it has always done, but now you get to be envious of the new features that CC gets incrementally). CC has no version number, it just is updated often with new stuff. So the argument is I guess that CC shouldn't get anything new until a certain amount of time has passed since the standalone was released because it seems unfair?
My point is that these little features (dehaze, adding "white" and "black" sliders to local adjustments) are ABSOLUTELY the kinds of things that would be added into prior Lightroom "point" releases. Now they will all be withheld from the standalone product for -- how long? -- maybe 18 months to two years if history is any guide ... if there even is a Lightroom 7 at that point.

06-16-2015, 02:59 PM   #8

In Lightroom, what actually is "camera support" ?

I don't see any place in Lightroom where you select a particular camera make/model.

Am I missing something?
06-16-2015, 03:08 PM   #9
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johngs Quote
In Lightroom, what actually is "camera support" ?

I don't see any place in Lightroom where you select a particular camera make/model.

Am I missing something?
You can select the Camera's ICC profile or Adobe's at the bottom of the Develop screen in the Camera Calibration module. Don't think you can choose a camera type persay.. it seems all automatic. You can, however, choose Lens profiles. Thats about it.

----------------

My take on LR6, being a current LR4 user, is I'm glad I didnt rush as I almost did to upgrade to 6. Short of profile support, there isn't much new here yet in the standalone. Maybe LR7 will be interesting with all of these (then old) features finally coming around to the standalone. What a situation.

That said, LR4 and Nik Effects are really powerful even today. So I'm not really in a hurt to upgrade..
06-16-2015, 03:09 PM   #10
Veteran Member

what actually is "camera support"
It's 'baked in' support for the features and 'personality' of particular models of camera. Hence you need to update the program to get support for new cameras.
06-16-2015, 03:13 PM   #11

So if I go to "Camera Calibration", "Profile", should I see anything other than "embedded" and "adobe standard"?

(in Lightroom 6 with Pentax k-50)
06-16-2015, 03:26 PM   #12
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Update is as advertised

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Let us know how it goes for you.

Adobe clearly states:
The asterixed differences between the 'CC' versus standalone versions are as indicated judging by the lack of a dehaze slider etc.

The Adobe business model going forward is clearly aimed at online subscription, so as a dinosuar I too am disappointed with the redundancy already being built into such a new release.

However as I don't use LR much anymore Adobe's lack of support for the product I recently purchased is becoming less relevant with my workflow. It is also likely to be the last version I will ever buy as I now have an alternative that gives me more.
06-16-2015, 03:51 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Yeay, I just bought LR6 two days ago. So that's the kind of support I paid €129 for. Way to go, Adobe, way to go ...
06-16-2015, 04:05 PM   #14
Pentaxian

It's possible that the new features will be in Lightroom 6.2 whenever that gets released.
06-16-2015, 04:11 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

So if I go to "Camera Calibration", "Profile", should I see anything other than "embedded" and "adobe standard"?

(in Lightroom 6 with Pentax k-50)
It depends on the camera. For current Pentax models, the answer is no.

Steve