Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2015, 08:04 AM   #1

Lightroom camera calibration

Hi.

I have read many forums on this subject without getting a definitive answer.

Lightroom only gives me the option of adobe standard or embedded.

I take raw only files and convert to dng.

Which is the most faithful to raw file profile. Iam interested in using the most natural settings and not ones lightroom pre-determins.

I have played around and the only difference i could see was less contrast in the embedded setting but no qaulity of file loss.

Is there one i "should" be using or does not really matter.

Thanks

06-27-2015, 08:10 AM   #2
Pentaxian

There isn't much difference. Whatever you think is best for a particular image, but leaving it on either one is not going to be a big deal. This place makes profiles that you may find superior to either ($15 per camera):

Huelight Pentax Camera Profiles
06-27-2015, 09:00 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Which camera?
On the k-5IIS I prefer the Adobe profile but on the k-3 I think the embedded one works better.
QuoteOriginally posted by R J P Quote
Which is the most faithful to raw file profile. Iam interested in using the most natural settings and not ones lightroom pre-determins.
What do you mean 'most natural' profile? It is a RAW file, there is nothing natural about it. It has to be interpreted before you can even view it. If you mean closest to the jpg remember the camera processed the RAW to get the jpg and did so using the jpg profile set in the camera.

Also, curious why you are converting to DNG? Most Pentax cameras allow you to shoot in DNG which saves a step.
06-27-2015, 12:19 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the link. Looks useful.

Its just a shame you cant try one photo as a trial before paying.

R J P

---------- Post added 06-27-15 at 07:30 PM ----------

When i say raw i mean whatever interpritation my camera uses, so if a k30 is dng and when i import to lightroom it asks to convert to dng, then i do that.

Dosnt waste any time as i would have to import anyway.

when i say most natural i mean as close to the raw (dng) file from the camera as possible without lightrooms interference. Iam aware that a raw file is the unprocessed file and is different to a jpeg.

I like both but the embedded is slightly flatter. Its just that i read that embedded was for jpegs and normally the camera profile section on lightroom has options for different cameras. It must be that they didnt bother for pentax k30.

Thanks.

06-27-2015, 02:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Hi.

I have read many forums on this subject without getting a definitive answer.

Lightroom only gives me the option of adobe standard or embedded.

I take raw only files and convert to dng.

I have played around and the only difference i could see was less contrast in the embedded setting but no qaulity of file loss.

Is there one i "should" be using or does not really matter.

Thanks
If you want it to be truly faithful to natural colors, get an X-Rite ColorChecker Passport ? X-Rite Photo ? X-Rite Passport. Set a custom white balance with the built-in grey card every time the light changes, then take a photo of the color card parts - you then run those through the software and it will make a color profile specifically for that lighting situation, lens, sensor combo, so it will be exactly accurate.

I use it sometimes, but I usually prefer the Huelight options.
06-27-2015, 03:26 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the tip.
06-27-2015, 06:44 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When i say raw i mean whatever interpritation my camera uses, so if a k30 is dng and when i import to lightroom it asks to convert to dng, then i do that.
If you are shooting in DNG Lightroom should not be asking to convert. Are you sure you are not shooting in PEF?

06-27-2015, 07:50 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
With the Huelight profiles.....I have these for my K3 and K5II......and try which suits a shot best and then start any adjustments from there....the profiles come with a standard, medium, heavy, and lite.
06-28-2015, 12:25 AM   #9

Original Poster
I use a k 30. It gives me the option of shot in RAW or JPEG.

So i chose RAW. So it must be raw as lightroom asks to convert. Thats all i know.

Ill take the advice about the profiles with me and have a think.

thanks for all the input guys and gals.
06-28-2015, 12:10 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So i chose RAW. So it must be raw as lightroom asks to convert. Thats all i know.
You also have a choice of RAW formats, either DNG or PEF. I think the default is PEF but you can change it to DNG which eliminates the need to convert.

DNG is the Adobe 'standard', PEF is the Pentax format just as Canon and Nikon have their own proprietary formats. If you set the RAW format to DNG then you have a DNG as Pentax wanted it rather than a conversion done in Lightroom.
07-19-2015, 09:31 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
If you want it to be truly faithful to natural colors, get an X-Rite ColorChecker Passport ? X-Rite Photo ? X-Rite Passport. Set a custom white balance with the built-in grey card every time the light changes, then take a photo of the color card parts - you then run those through the software and it will make a color profile specifically for that lighting situation, lens, sensor combo, so it will be exactly accurate.

I use it sometimes, but I usually prefer the Huelight options.
The Passport would be a great choice and then you can install the profiles it makes in lightroom which will become your presets

Randy

Randy
07-19-2015, 09:47 AM   #12

Original Poster
I will check out the passport. Thanks.