Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2015, 10:33 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lightroom 6 de-haze

For users of the CC version of LR6 the new "de-haze" function has proven to be quite useful in removing atmospheric haze.

However, I found another use that I've found useful. If you slide the setting all the way over to 100% any sensor dust spots become glaringly obvious. Even better than the "visualize spots" button. I tried it on a really badly spotted image and found quite a few that had gone unnoticed in a previous edit using the visualize spots button.

Last edited by jatrax; 06-27-2015 at 06:05 PM.
06-27-2015, 12:15 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Great tip! Will try it tonight.
06-29-2015, 04:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

For anyone interested, this slider plug-in makes using the de-haze on (non-CC) LR v6 a little bit easier than setting up a bunch of manual presets.

https://cutthruthefog.wordpress.com/lightroom-6-dehaze/
06-30-2015, 05:52 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Thanks for the tip! The de-haze slider is going to be one of the best and must useful features that's been added to Lightroom.

07-02-2015, 05:03 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Question : is haze such a problem for that many people that this new function should take the Lightroom world by storm? It's something that never ever bothered me in the past, and even now I fail to see when I should use it. It seems like a very specific picture element.
07-03-2015, 03:57 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Question : is haze such a problem for that many people that this new function should take the Lightroom world by storm? It's something that never ever bothered me in the past, and even now I fail to see when I should use it. It seems like a very specific picture element.
Depends on what you shoot I suppose. And when. Both season and time of day. Here in the mountains shooting in summer during the day you are going to get a lot of haze in landscape shots. I am amazed what this function has done for some of my older landscape images I never bothered with because the haze made them unusable. Really cleaned them up. I think it will have a lot of other applications. One being going the other way and ADDING haze. This gives you a foggy/hazy/ethereal effect.

See the images below, top is just my default LR preset nothing else. Second is the same image with just a little 'de-haze' added no other processing.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
07-05-2015, 10:52 AM   #7
Pentaxian

As it hasn't been mentioned adobe raw 9.1 now has dehaze. It can be found selecting fx in raw.

07-07-2015, 08:16 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Here in the Northeast, there always seems to be a good deal of haze, a combination of higher humidity and the angle of the sun. A really clear day in summer is rare. In the past, we always made corrections in our photos fiddling with the contrast and exposure with mediocre results. It's a time saver and does a better job than any of my previous fiddling. I haven't had the time lately to go back through my old shots but it's something that's on my list.

There's a lot of days when I'm riding my motorcycle through the mountain roads and come upon what looks to be a really fine landscape scene and after stopping and spending a couple of minutes, I move on because I know the hazy summer sky isn't going to look good and just say "next time". I know this tool won't cure every shot but it will help a lot. I'm also fully aware that haze and mist and the way light interacts with them can also be used for some pleasing effects. It just depends on the shot. I'm also gung ho for any new feature that makes the job of PP quicker and easier and actually works and the Haze slider does a fine job.
07-07-2015, 09:54 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Here in the Northeast, there always seems to be a good deal of haze, a combination of higher humidity and the angle of the sun. A really clear day in summer is rare. In the past, we always made corrections in our photos fiddling with the contrast and exposure with mediocre results. It's a time saver and does a better job than any of my previous fiddling. I haven't had the time lately to go back through my old shots but it's something that's on my list..
So this may work with hot humid days? I have basically stopped shooting now because it has been so humid and 'thick' looking (that and the dang mosquitoes). hmmm, I might consider upgrading now.
07-07-2015, 08:47 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Murfy Quote
So this may work with hot humid days? I have basically stopped shooting now because it has been so humid and 'thick' looking (that and the dang mosquitoes). hmmm, I might consider upgrading now.
Yeah, I would think so but within reason. Today where I live, it was 82 degrees with 84% humidity and a dew point of 72. Kind of like walking around in a steam room. I was working and didn't take any photos today. One thing I noticed from some shots I took last weekend was that the haze slider did a nice job of cleaning up some shots taken around a campfire.
07-08-2015, 02:04 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
In the Develop/Basic module, if you adjust the Highlight slider to -100, Shadows to +100, then slightly tweak Contrast, Exposure and Clarity to fit the scene... you can accomplish about the same thing as DeHaze.
And you can do that in a local brush which is even better. I have a brush preset similar to that I call de-haze. But the De-Haze effect in LR 6 is better. I wish it was available as a brush.
07-09-2015, 09:14 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
And you can do that in a local brush which is even better. I have a brush preset similar to that I call de-haze. But the De-Haze effect in LR 6 is better. I wish it was available as a brush.
I was doing that also. I also would use similar settings using the graduated filter tool for some landscape shots but you still needed to use the brush tool. The other alternative (and even more time consuming) was to go into Photoshop and start doing multiple layers and masks. I agree completely, the De-Haze slider does it better. Maybe a De-Haze brush in the next update?
07-09-2015, 09:59 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Maybe a De-Haze brush in the next update?
Gets my vote I was surprised it was an "effect" rather than a brush slider which would seem to make more sense.

Still a great addition for landscape shooters. And I'm finding it useful in many other situations as well.