Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2015, 10:56 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Opening a Photoshop CS file with Photoshop 6???

I am having designs supplied to me by a designer who is using Photoshop CS. I only have version 6 but we are sure it should be possible to open the PSD files on the lower version.

I get as far as seeing a preview of the file fine in File>>Open but on opening I get the message

"could not open C:\.........etc etc.psd" because there is not enough memory(RAM)

The PSD is only 3Mb.

From what I have been told the files is being saved with a maximum compatibility setting checked.

What can we do to open these files? Thanks

07-23-2015, 11:18 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Unless you are talking about REALLY old versions, you probably mean Photoshop CC that the designer is using (not CS, in which case I would ask CS what number?) and Photoshop CS 6 that you are using? If your photoshop is not a CS version (that's a decade or more now), it ain't gonna work. (You can get CS2 for free, you know.) Your designer shouldn't be giving you psd files anyway unless you are going to Photoshop them some more (with the same version) -- they should flatten it and give you a tiff or png or something. But if you have CS2 or better, if they give you a flattened file, then a psd should also work I think...
07-23-2015, 11:43 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
You can get CS2 for free, you know.
The Adobe website says the downloads are for users who have previously purchased a valid license so it is not free.
07-23-2015, 11:55 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The Adobe website says the downloads are for users who have previously purchased a valid license so it is not free.
It can be downloaded and used, and there is no option to pay for it. I'd call that free, whether you want to honor their legalese or not is up to you. This is a typical wink-and-a-nod from Adobe, who have semi-openly allowed piracy of their Photoshop products since forever knowing that it was actually gaining them market share and loyal (and paid) users down the road. (Most pros will buy it.) That's a strategy they have used to become the dominant image editing software. Now they've switched to the subscription model which is really just a variation on the strategy without the subterfuge -- get you hooked with a low entry cost, and charge you forever...

07-23-2015, 01:12 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Gee I don't know any software companies who openly or semi openly allow piracy on non freeware. Adobe tried several ways to stop piracy of their products but hackers always figured a workaround and openly published them.

As far as cost it is costing me a heck of a lot less for what I receive using the subscription model than it did when buying the upgrades for the same length of usage. I can use it, receiving all the minor and major updates, for approximately 6 years for what it used to cost me for one upgrade and receive lightroom with all updates to boot.

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 07-23-2015 at 01:26 PM.
07-23-2015, 02:38 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
Gee I don't know any software companies who openly or semi openly allow piracy on non freeware. Adobe tried several ways to stop piracy of their products but hackers always figured a workaround and openly published them.
Well, they are doing it right now with CS2 as I just pointed out. And if you were Adobe as the market leader, would you rather have someone using a non-licensed copy of your software or a paid copy of one of your competitor's software, eh? i.e. They've never tried very hard to stop it, not to mention having cheap student editions, etc. Anyway, that's off-topic. If you don't believe it, you're free to do so, but I'd say you're being naive if you think that was never part of their strategy...
07-23-2015, 02:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'd say you're being naive if you think that was never part of their strategy...
It might be stretching it a bit to claim it was a strategy but their software has always been the easiest to pirate compared with other major software companies.

07-23-2015, 02:55 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mohb Quote
It might be stretching it a bit to claim it was a strategy but their software has always been the easiest to pirate compared with other major software companies.
I'm sure they've had meetings! That's how the rich get richer.
07-24-2015, 05:42 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Give us a break!

Your the one that took this off topic with your response to Not a Number's correct post. IE;

"Read before you download a CS2 product

Adobe has disabled the activation server for CS2 products, including Acrobat 7, because of a technical issue. These products were released more than seven years ago and do not run on many modern operating systems; Adobe no longer supports them.

Adobe strongly advises against running unsupported and outdated software. Only customers who legitimately purchased a CS2 or Acrobat 7 and need to maintain their current use of these products may use the serial numbers provided during the download."
https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/cs2-product-downloads.html#

Adobe, Corel, Topaz, Nik, Alien Skin and a host of other software companies have spent billions of dollars fighting piracy to no avail. IMO it is completely naive of someone to think otherwise and that they openly endorse piracy in meetings or otherwise. All of these companies fight infringement:
Adobe, Autodesk, and Corel team up in copyright infringement lawsuit | Cadalyst
http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pressroom/pressreleases/pdfs/199907/19990708.10thlawsuit.pdf
Apple, Adobe, others join forces in software piracy lawsuit
Adobe Settles Copyright Suit

I Challenge anyone not using a licensed (pirated) copy of this or any other version or pirated software from any company such as Adobe, Topaz, Apple, Nik, Alien Skin etc. to inform them they are using an unlicensed/pirated copy and see what they have to say about it. When a company informs end users only ligitimate licensed users may use the software any unauthorized software use is theft plain and simple. It's the same as others taking your photos and using them for whatever purpose without your permission. Is that Ok in your book too?

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 07-24-2015 at 07:11 AM.
07-24-2015, 06:45 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I Challenge anyone not using a licensed (pirated) copy of this or any other version or pirated software from any company such as Adobe, Topaz, Apple, Nik, Alien Skin etc. to inform them they are using an unlicensed/pirated copy and see what they have to say about it. When a company informs end users only ligitimate licensed users may use the software any unauthorized software use is theft plain and simple. It's the same as others taking your photos and using them for whatever purpose without your permission. Is that Ok in your book too?
I didn't say otherwise, obviously they aren't going to make any contrary public statements. And didn't say it was "ok", that's not for me to decide. And for the record I have a licensed copy of CS2 (& CS5 & CS6 & various Lightroom versions). I'm not sure what you are upset about, I don't think I said anything controversial. I'm not accusing Adobe of doing anything immoral or illegal, just of being smart. Ok? I'm done talking about this.
07-24-2015, 07:17 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Now for the OP's delima. There are contributing factors that can affect your PS opening of a psd file or out of memory errors in general. Whether your system is 32 or 64 bit and how much actual ram you have to start with coupled with background running processes your computer is operating at a given time. The more processes you are running using ram the less ram photoshop has to use.

Try this. First reset your preferences if that doesn't work then try Enlarging the capacity of your file handling in Performance. These usually are the culprits for out of memory errors in photoshop. Then if that fails try running your task manager and give High priority to Photoshop or shut down some un needed processes. If none of these work then there are other possible contributing factors.

(You can get CS2 for free, you know.)
hmm.. I guess this isn't saying otherwise in your opinion.. I am not upset in the least just re-affirming what Not a Number correctly stated and providing an opposing opinion of your statements.
07-24-2015, 08:37 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Now for the OP's delima. There are contributing factors that can affect your PS opening of a psd file or out of memory errors in general. Whether your system is 32 or 64 bit and how much actual ram you have to start with coupled with background running processes your computer is operating at a given time. The more processes you are running using ram the less ram photoshop has to use.

Try this. First reset your preferences if that doesn't work then try Enlarging the capacity of your file handling in Performance. These usually are the culprits for out of memory errors in photoshop. Then if that fails try running your task manager and give High priority to Photoshop or shut down some un needed processes. If none of these work then there are other possible contributing factors.

hmm.. I guess this isn't saying otherwise in your opinion...
At first I thought they were in-fact giving it away as that's rather common for companies to make old unsupported software available for free (or sometimes open-source). (And it was widely reported that CS2 was now free.) But them saying "free, but not really" even though they are giving you a serial number (rather than just saying use the one you have) is just typical Adobe in my book and completely consistent with what I (and many others) have considered part of their basic strategy for a long time (but no longer with the CC model) to make sure Photoshop and the other graphic products are the de-facto standard. And again, I'm not faulting them, that's smart.

Maybe a better term than "strategy" would be their "considered response" to piracy, i.e. I don't they on day one they said "let's have some piracy!" but certainly they had to decide how their resources were going to be used. And since any analysis of the situation would have to include "what would happen if we only made a fuss about high-profile and obvious egregious violations" (like your court cases) and "what if we didn't spend a whole ton of money on anti-copying technical measures" as options, and that the results of such analysis would likely come back as something like "If we took these two options, given our products and this marketplace, we'd only become more dominant in terms of market share, and we'd make more money long-term even if we are risking officially selling less units now (but our products would be used in much greater numbers than anyone else's even if we didn't get paid for them all right now, our competition wouldn't be selling their units either) . And so it is not only cheaper up-front than fighting everything tooth and nail, but such strenuous fighting would actually be to our own detriment and be disproportionately helpful to our competition in the long-term." And so after such consideration, is it not plausible that they said, "Yeah, let's do that."? I think so. Or any other scenario you wish to come up with, the facts are the facts. Their software HAS been very easy to pirate for the average non-professional user (that can't afford it) since forever and they've done little about it. So the question is WHY? And the answer is that it is good for them.
07-24-2015, 01:31 PM   #13
Pentaxian

All I have left to say is that truly is a lot of baloney....
07-28-2015, 03:43 AM   #14
Inactive Account

# Open the "Window" menu and choose "History" to display the History panel. Locate the "Flatten Image" step in the list of history states.

# Click on the history state just before "Flatten Image" in the History panel. Undoing the flattening process brings back your layered composition...

# Press "F7" or open the "Window" menu and choose "Layers" to open the Layers panel by pressing "F7" or choosing "Layers" from the "Window" menu. Verify that your document contains the layers you expect. If necessary, step back farther in the file's history to reach the point at which you want to reclaim your document.

# Open the "File" menu and choose "Save As." Change the name of your document and save the file.

Moreover if guide above wasn't effective, then you may use software for corrupted .psd files http://www.psd.openfiletool.com/ PSD Open File Tool