Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2008, 09:45 AM   #1
Forum Member

will a faster graphics card help ?

Greetings.

Recently picked up a K200D. Happy, happy, joy, joy.

Threw Lightroom on my old PC (an Athlon 2600 with 512MB RAM and a modest '05 vintage video card).

Previews are rendered at the speed of sludge.

Tried it on the PC I built for my boy earlier this year (a Pentium E-2180 2.0 GHz Allendale dual core with 2GB RAM and an MSI GeForce 8600GT.)

Preview speed is certainly acceptable.

My question -- does anyone know if a faster video card will likely provide the oomph I need to render/review these large-ish (~4MB) .jpgs on the old box at a tolerable speed, or is the 2600 just too aged?

Thanks kindly.

- Richard

06-16-2008, 09:56 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lightroom does not use the graphic card so a faster one will not likely help. Faster CPU and more memory are what Lightroom prefers.
06-16-2008, 10:00 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
I would double what Dave said, easiest way to improve speed in lightroom is to put couple of RAM in your computer. RAM is very cheap now aday and newegg.com is the way to go.
06-16-2008, 10:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

if you can find ram that can fit your mother board then buy yourself 2 1 gig sticks and be happy about.

Lightroom is all about RAM, it relies less on all of the other computer specs.

06-16-2008, 10:59 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just get a new PC

The problem he faces is that he probably uses the older 184 pin "DDR" type memory. As the DDR2 variant is now the mainstream, the older stuff is now becoming "rare" and is now more expensive than the newer stuff.

Before you get too balled up trying to upgrade a 2-4 year old PC, consider spending the money on a say, a new low end Gateway or Dell computer. These will come with way faster *everything* in them, and will most likely have a CD-DVD burner and the latest version of Windows. You're talking about 300-500 dollars, but a new graphics card and two gigs of older memory will cost you darn near 300 by themselves.

Then you can donate the old PC to Goodwill and take it off your taxes.

Worth thinking about....

germar
06-16-2008, 11:24 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Your problem is not the graphics card, Your problem is with the Processor speed and your Ram speed. 2600 is way to slow for todays processing. I would suggest an upgrade, but todays prices of PC's would make what you need in an upgrade higher priced than buying a new PC. Check the websites for a new PC. Start with Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more! and Cyber Warehouse - Welcome these two sites are highly recommended for pricing of electronics.
Anything now a days under 3800+ ghz and 2mb RAM isn't worth the upgrade.
06-16-2008, 08:25 PM   #7

Like everyone else has said a graphics card will not improve your situation. The Athlon 2600 is probably a minimum requirement of CPU capacity for Lightroom but you do need a lot more RAM. You will see a huge improvement with 2gb of RAM.

Cheers
Keith
06-17-2008, 07:27 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
More memory will improve your performance. I added another 1GB to my 6 yr old P4 2.4 and it made a world of difference. Regular DDR are still quite cheap. I bought a 1GB PC266 stick recently from New Egg for around 35 bucks. Also clean up your hard drive. After a few years things can really get messed up and the registry gets messed up to the point that a fresh install of Windows may be in order. Mine was like a new machine with some more memory and a new hard drive. If you re install windows don't forget to back up everything as it will be gone once the drive is partitioned and formatted.