Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2015, 07:58 AM   #1
Veteran Member

LR what next?

I just finished editing all my 2014 photos (year runs August to August so I actually have to hussle and get my 2015 finished as well). What is the next step?

I know I export them but there are so many options I do not want to mess up. It's 800 pics it has taken quite a while.

07-31-2015, 08:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
backup Lightroom
07-31-2015, 08:29 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by condor27596 Quote
I know I export them but there are so many options
I don't export anything without a specific purpose. If I need an image I go to Lightroom and export it in the format and resolution I need. Which might be a print or a jpeg or a TIFF. The Lightroom catalog is my index for finding everything, if I exported all those images into, for example, jpegs in a folder how would I find what I want?

Set up export presets for what you need. For example I have a preset that exports a full size jpeg to an upload folder on my desktop, and another preset that exports a web version sized to fit the requirements of this forum and another that exports a jpeg sized to fit what I use on my blog.

I consider 'exporting' and 'printing' to be the same. One results in a viewable jpeg and the other in a physical print but both are outputs from my originals which I access only through Lightroom.
07-31-2015, 08:39 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I don't export anything without a specific purpose. If I need an image I go to Lightroom and export it in the format and resolution I need. Which might be a print or a jpeg or a TIFF. The Lightroom catalog is my index for finding everything, if I exported all those images into, for example, jpegs in a folder how would I find what I want?

Set up export presets for what you need. For example I have a preset that exports a full size jpeg to an upload folder on my desktop, and another preset that exports a web version sized to fit the requirements of this forum and another that exports a jpeg sized to fit what I use on my blog.

I consider 'exporting' and 'printing' to be the same. One results in a viewable jpeg and the other in a physical print but both are outputs from my originals which I access only through Lightroom.
100% agree with Jatrax. The only processed photos you want to export are those you have a specific reason to do so - email, web posting, or printing. Anything more is a waste of time and computer storage.

However, you do need to make sure that both your LR Catalog and the images themselves are backed up. This is not an LR Export process per se. I would recommend that you keep a copy of the Catalog and the images somewhere off your main computer hard drive, with an external drive my preference over cloud storage.

07-31-2015, 10:10 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lsimpkins Quote
However, you do need to make sure that both your LR Catalog and the images themselves are backed up. This is not an LR Export process per se. I would recommend that you keep a copy of the Catalog and the images somewhere off your main computer hard drive, with an external drive my preference over cloud storage.
+ 1 on this. Lightroom will automate the backup of the catalog for you if you set it up. And it should be backed up to an external drive or network resource such as NAS or other server. The images need to be backed up as well and Lightroom will not do this. You need to back up your images as part of your regular computer backup.

I use a file server with a RAID drive array to hold all the images, but the catalog must be on the local computer so I have Lightroom set to back up the catalog on every exit to the server. The server itself is then backed up to a pair of external hard drives that get swapped. One is supposed to be offsite at all times though I admit I am a bit lax on that. I also do an annual backup on a new hard drive and store that offsite in a fire proof box.
07-31-2015, 05:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you. I did back up today. Here is the thing. I need 800 photos made into JPEG ( have been using ) or presumably TIFF ( never used before ). Oh. Most of my photos start out as JPEG. It might be important to say that. I only shoot special days in raw plus JPEG.

Each year I make a photo book that summarizes the entire year. I do not use all 800 but I like to have all available. Pics range in size from 11x14 ( the cover, which is usually a birthday pic from my sisters $25k Nikon. To say 4-9 pics a page. 22-30 pages a book. I also make a yearly calendar ( I do all this myself including the binding ), magnetic fridge calendar magnets and a couple mouse pads.

I was hoping there was a button that can zap all of them to a directory.

How do I find them ? I manually scroll through visually. If I need to resize it I open in Photoshop. At this point I usually give it a unique name and if I have to downsize the file size I put a 4 on the end.

By using snapfish you also get a free music video that they make. It's pretty cool.
07-31-2015, 07:17 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by condor27596 Quote
I was hoping there was a button that can zap all of them to a directory.
There is. Setup an export preset with the destination as the directory you want. Set the export parameters for size, format and quality needed. Select the images you want. Right click>export>select your preset. Go get coffee.

If you want to work at your leisure: clear the Quick collection, then put each picture you want into the Quick collection and when finished go to Quick collection>right click>export>your preset