Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2008, 11:02 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
See RAW in Windows Explorer?

Hi guys,

Does anybody know the software to make us able to see Pentax RAW file (PEF) in Windows Explorer without opening Bridge/Lightroom?
I remembered last time somebody mentioned it but I couldn't find it where.

Thanks for the help.

06-17-2008, 12:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

If you have Vista 32 bit, you can install the last piece of software from here.

Pentax Imaging - Software & Firmaware Updates

If you have XP you're pretty much out of luck
06-17-2008, 06:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For XP, there is dpMagic. Unfortunately, on subdirectories with large number of RAW files (over 100), it bogs down the system. This may be been fixed in later releases, but I haven't tried.
06-17-2008, 08:17 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, guys.
Well, I only have Windows XP Home. So I guess I'm out of luck here.
I know Microsoft has the Toys...I forget the complete name...but it only works for Canon & Nikon so far.

06-17-2008, 10:26 AM   #5
Inactive Account

There is a registry hack that allows XP to view PEF thumbnails/previews. Go here...
Restoring Nikon NEF Thumbnails Under Windows XP Service Pack 2 - Photo Tips @ Earthbound Light
Open the NEF version in text edit and change all instances of NEF to PEF. Save it, close it, then double click the file, which will prompt a dialog that asks if you want to add it to the registry. There are version for pre SP2 and post SP2. There is also one for DNG. I used them on a couple Windows machines and they work fine.
06-17-2008, 05:49 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This is interesting.
Thanks for the info, Dave.
Do you know how to undo it in case I don't want it anymore in the future?

QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
There is a registry hack that allows XP to view PEF thumbnails/previews. Go here...
Restoring Nikon NEF Thumbnails Under Windows XP Service Pack 2 - Photo Tips @ Earthbound Light
Open the NEF version in text edit and change all instances of NEF to PEF. Save it, close it, then double click the file, which will prompt a dialog that asks if you want to add it to the registry. There are version for pre SP2 and post SP2. There is also one for DNG. I used them on a couple Windows machines and they work fine.
06-18-2008, 07:24 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HermanLee Quote
This is interesting.
Thanks for the info, Dave.
Do you know how to undo it in case I don't want it anymore in the future?
Back your registry before you do any changes to it. This isn't the law, but it should be! That way if you screw it up, you have a good copy to go back to. Also, as you inferred, you can go back to it later if you wish.

As a side note, you should also do a system restore back up point before doing any changes if you haven't already done so. I say this after working for 20+ hours on a friends lap top who didn't do that and got infected with a malware program.

06-18-2008, 07:57 AM   #8
Inactive Account

What Tom said. I was never brave enough to play with the registry myself, but this was really simple. Do a restore point and a backup. I never wanted to remove it once it was there because it was very useful.
06-25-2008, 01:15 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
I wonder if there is a built in limitation to XP Home that doesn't allow this to work. I tried this on my laptop and it didn't work. I'll have to try this on my desktop that is running XP Pro.
06-25-2008, 01:21 PM   #10
Inactive Account

There are two different versions of the hack on that page, one for pre-SP2 and one for post-SP2. The latter is down the page a bit so if you have SP2 installed make sure you get the second hack.