Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-13-2015, 12:40 PM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Windows 10 and Canoscan 8400F

Hi,

I thought I'd struggle with installing my Canoscan 8400F under Windows 10, remembering what a faff it was getting it to work under Windows 8.1. As it turned out, it was quite easy - here's how I did it:

Download Canoscan Toolbox 4.9 software. I already had the install file saved - I don't think it's hard to find on the web. There are later versions - don't be tempted.
Locate the file on your computer, right click it to open properties, select compatibility and set this for Windows XP SP2.
Right click it again and run it as administrator.

Re-start the computer as requested.

Download TWAIN driver file 8400fvst6410231a from Canon's website (note I think the 64 in the file name might mean 64 bit, so you may need another for a 32 bit system).
Locate the file, right click it to open properties, select compatibility and set this for Windows XP SP2.
Right click it again and run it as administrator.
This will create a folder called 8400fvst6410231a_64en (again, might be different for 32 bit) in the same directory as you downloaded the file into. In that folder is a file called SetupSG. Run that to install the driver.

A restart here is not required

This worked right away for me. I had the scanner connected to the computer all through the process and don't know whether this makes a difference. You will see Canoscan appear in Device Manager if you have it open when you install the driver.

Hope this saves a few people some time and grief. The process is probably the same for other older Canon scanners.

08-13-2015, 02:58 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't have the scanner but that's great info for people that do. Kind of makes you wonder in they based Windows 10 on XP, since it was probably the most stable version ever.
08-13-2015, 09:35 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I don't have the scanner but that's great info for people that do. Kind of makes you wonder in they based Windows 10 on XP, since it was probably the most stable version ever.
The driver model is much more stable now then it was back then, Ramseybuckeye.

A dud printer install (kernel mode) from a manufacturer could bring down your whole machine. :-(
11-24-2015, 07:06 AM   #4

TWAIN driver file

Hello,

I recently bought a Canoscan 8400F and I'm trying to hook it up to a Windows 8.1 machine .... as you might have guessed this doesn't work I would really try to use your method but I'm having a lot of trouble to find a download for the TWAIN driver file "8400fvst6410231a". Do you perhaps have a link to the right URL on the Canon website?

Thanks in advance for your time and trouble!

Best regards,
Edwin
Amsterdam
The Netherlands (where it is currently raining at a freezing temperature )

11-24-2015, 01:33 PM   #5

OK, it seems that I've found the answer to my own question .... Windows 8.1 will not connect to Canon scanner over USB - Super User
I followed the steps and now I am able to scan! Just wanted to share the information.

Best regards,
Edwin
11-24-2015, 06:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

There is always Vuescan ...
11-24-2015, 07:39 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
There is always Vuescan ...
Vuescan still requires the Canon TWAIN driver. At least it does on Mac OS X. Luckily the drivers from 10.6 still work on 10.11...

11-24-2015, 09:40 PM   #8

As far as I can tell VueScan is not free ... please correct me if I'm wrong.

---------- Post added 11-24-15 at 09:59 PM ----------

Just to be sure .... this is the method I've used:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I found a solution on the Microsoft forum - thanks to ArtoTyrväinen I adapted his solution for a similar scanner to work for the CanoScan 8400F and Windows 8.1 Pro.

My scanner had previously worked on Win 8.0 Pro so I was surprised that I had problems with 8.1 Pro. It took me some time to come across his solution.

Go to Canon for the device drivers
and get the Windows 7 (x64) drivers (No Win 8/8.1 drivers exist)

Go to your downloads folder (or wherever you saved it) and look for a folder labelled: 8400fvst6410231a_64en

Inside that folder find the file "SetupSG.exe"

(this step might not be needed, but it didn't hurt) Right click properties on "SetupSG.exe" and go to compatibility tab of that file and select both "Compatibility Mode for Windows 7" and "Run as Administrator". Click Apply and OK.

Then double-click "SetupSG.exe".

After, download and install the CanonScan Toolbox setup file from the Canon website:
Run "cstbwin4932en.exe" by double-clicking it.

(this is the important step) Then in "This PC"->System Properties->Advanced system settings->Environment Variables-> System variables->Path Edit this line by add " ;C:\Windows\twain_32\CNQ8400" end of line

(keep whatever line is currently there...just be sure that you include the ";" to separate it from anything already there.)

Check if the path is right on your c: drive

Reboot the computer to complete installation.
12-31-2015, 01:27 PM   #9

This is the number one hit for "canoscan 8400f driver for windows 10" on google... Worked for me! The links may or may not stay good, but here is where I found 4.9-

CanoScan Toolbox Ver. 4.9.3.2 (Windows 7/7 x64/Vista/Vista64/XP/XP x64/2000/Me/98)

Running this the first time created the SetupSG.exe file mentioned in post #8. I followed those directions except minor changes to how you add to the Path variable under 10.

Thanks!!

Markd
01-16-2016, 12:49 PM   #10

Thanks for the Good Info on 8400f and windows 10

The top blog in this thread saved me an ENORMOUS amount of time. I needed my scanner to work quickly to satisfy a personal business obligation, and the detailed instructions in that blog worked perfectly. Thanks so much for taking the time.
01-19-2016, 03:11 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MariaPauken Quote
The top blog in this thread saved me an ENORMOUS amount of time. I needed my scanner to work quickly to satisfy a personal business obligation, and the detailed instructions in that blog worked perfectly. Thanks so much for taking the time.
All part of a day's work!

Since starting this thread I've upgraded my laptop and, thankfully, the new one has good old Windows 7. This means that one of these days I'll have to upgrade to Windows 10 again. When I do, I'll be referring back to my own thread for instructions.
10-16-2016, 05:25 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
As mentioned in my last post on this thread, the new laptop was subsequently upgraded to Windows 10. Today I tried using the scanner for the first time and my original instruction let me down. The solution was in Sark's post - add the line about the twain source in system variables. In windows 10 when you select "edit" in environment variables you are preseneted with a list and the option to "add" Paste the line:

C:\Windows\twain_32\CNQ8400

into the new box that opens for you. It's slightly different to as described in Sark's post for Windows 8. you do not ned the quotation marks.
01-03-2019, 06:30 PM   #13
hud

Thanks!

Thank you to the original poster of this thread. I just followed these steps this evening to get my Canon 8400F scanner installed and operational on my Win10 machine.
11-14-2019, 10:07 PM   #14

I have tried using these steps to install my old (and wonderful) Canoscan 8400f on my Windows 10 laptop...with no success. :-( I used SARK's instruction but was not successful. Any tips?
11-16-2019, 03:07 AM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
You didn't try a newer version of Toolbox did you? You definitely need to use version 4.9.