Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2015, 06:08 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Image cropping on a budget

I have a jpeg photo of three people and would like to crop out two for a project. I do not currently have Photoshop or PS elements and my mac will not support the latest version. Are there any other programs (preferably downloadable) that I could consider that would do the job? Thanks in advance for any help!

08-18-2015, 06:14 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I'm assuming you want to remove the extra element from the image, retaining background behind where it was? This is really 'cloning' or 'erasing' I think .... Cropping just means reducing the size of the image by changing the shape.

I use the free PhotoShop CS2, now over 10 years old but still fully featured for all this sort of thing. A search should bring up a download link .. There is a supplied license key and it's free to use for ever.
08-18-2015, 06:51 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Www.pixlr.com

Pixlr has several free programs and even fully web based editors. I use the express program for simple edits and the editor for more complex things.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 08-18-2015 at 06:58 AM.
08-18-2015, 07:11 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If it's simple cropping and image adjustment I like paint.net

It has some nice tools, and is freeware/shareware. You can also do basic stuff with picasa and Windows.

08-18-2015, 07:12 AM   #5

If you mean you want to cut out or replace elements then try Gimp which is like a free version of Photoshop. You can download it here: GIMP - Downloads

It pretty much works like Photoshop. The learning curve can be a little steep but there are a bunch of videos on YouTube.

Good luck!
08-18-2015, 07:27 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Photoshop CS2 in NOT free. The version that can be downloaded from the web is for those who own a VALID LICENSE for Photoshop CS2.

Pixelmator is a great app, but if you're Mac won't support Elements 13 it won't support Pixelmator either...

The native port of The GIMP is probably your best bet since it supports Snow Leopard and later.

lisanet has builds that will support Leopard or Tiger if you have X11 installed

GIMP on OS X

The lisanet build also has some extra plug-ins already built in, like Wavelet Denoise, Liquid Resize, UFRaw, and Fix-CA.

Last edited by boriscleto; 08-18-2015 at 07:33 AM.
08-18-2015, 07:55 AM   #7
Moderator PEG Gallery
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Hielands o' Scootlund......... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Canis Quote
a jpeg photo of three people and would like to crop out two for a project
Or alternatively you could post the image on the forum and we could all have a crack at it for a bit of fun.

As long as you tell us which two are to go.
08-18-2015, 12:18 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Even Apple's own Preview program can do simple crops. Select the area you want to keep and click crop.

08-18-2015, 12:52 PM   #9

Assuming that you took the pictures with a Pentax DSLR, even the supplied Pentax Photo Browser can be used for simple crops. I haven't tried it with JPEG files done by other camera brands, but I suspect it can crop them as well.
08-18-2015, 02:04 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the advice and suggestions! I suppose "cropping" is a bad choice of terms. I wish to work with one individual in a photo containing three. I used to use corel paint to do these edits many years ago, but never got them to where I was satisfied. I wish I could post here, but I must protect the privacy of the subjects in this case. Thank you again!
08-18-2015, 02:10 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canis Quote
Thanks for all the advice and suggestions! I suppose "cropping" is a bad choice of terms. I wish to work with one individual in a photo containing three. I used to use corel paint to do these edits many years ago, but never got them to where I was satisfied. I wish I could post here, but I must protect the privacy of the subjects in this case. Thank you again!
Perhaps Snapheal?

? Snapheal - Remove Unwanted Objects | Fix Photos App

But again, requires 10.9 or later...