Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2015, 03:54 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Printing with the Cannon Pro 100 Pixa Printer at home

With all the questions regarding the Cannon Pro 100 Pixa Printer that was recently in the Price Watch section I decided to start this thread. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/94-pentax-price-watch/301508-almost-free-...o-printer.html

I have not received my printer yet but I decided to start the thread anyway. I will admit that I never have been successful printing at home. I hope having a better printer will change that. There is a lot involved in this process and for some it can be quite overwhelming. Currently I have the Spyder Pro 4 system to calibrate both of my monitors at home and that has been working well. I welcome any advice on setting up the printer, including getting the WiFi working. My main interest is with color profiles. I have never been successful with them. What papers you use I know can also make a huge difference. Hopefully this will help people from wasting expensive paper, ink and more importantly time. I know I will have lots of questions when my printer arrives. I am sure that this has all been discussed before and I apologize if I am just repeating old posts. I thought it would be easier for people if we had everything in one post.

Michael

08-18-2015, 04:32 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I got mine a few days ago and set it up last night. The only thing I've printed so far is the print head alignment, and I have to say, it's beautiful.
I no nothing about printing, so I'll be watching this thread with great interest.
08-18-2015, 04:57 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If printing with PS or Lightroom, or another profile capable program, make sure you set the correct printer and or paper profile in the program. Calibrating the monitor is essential but not the end of setup for printing.
https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/help/color-management.htmlPS is similar.
"A. Profiles describe the color spaces of the camera and the image.
B. Using the profiles, the color management system identifies the image's actual colors.
C. The monitor's profile tells the color management system how to translate the image's colors to the monitor's color space.
D. Using the printer profile, the color management system translates the image's colors to the printer's color space, so the colors appear correctly in print."
Setting up the printer will load profiles for Canon paper. If you use other paper, try to find the profiles for that paper when used in a canon printer. For instance, Red River Paper has profiles for their papers combined with the Pro-100.
I have been using the Pro-100 for over a year and it renders great, true to color prints with the proper profile..
08-18-2015, 05:57 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks mdave13, I know have a lot of research to do. Luckily for me I enjoy learning new things.

Michael

08-18-2015, 06:07 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I have one and love it. With I knew about this deal 2 days ago because I would have purchased another, even if just for the ink since it's about $100 for a set of ink cartridges (plus have a backup printer to boot). But if it's your first printer, even without the extra $100 off it's still worth it. Even though the ink is expensive, it lasts a long time. I'm still on my original tanks and have spares just in case. It makes fabulous prints, especially on Canon's luster paper, IMO. Just to advise, it's not a printer that sits at your computer desk (unless you have a huge desk), it's large and heavy. I put it in the basement, but it features wireless printing which works flawlessly.
08-18-2015, 07:37 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought a Pixma Pro 100 about 6 months ago when the last round of crazy rebates popped up. It is a very good printer and can produce fab results. Calibrating your monitor is a good move. I use paper from Red River Paper for most of my work, which involves printing a lot of art cards and prints at various sizes. I have found the included software, Print Studio Pro does a fine job of producing nice results with a minimum of hassle in Photoshop, once you get to know its little foibles. One of which is not handling layers too well if you aren't paying attention. It always pays to scrutinize the preview print before hitting the print button!
08-19-2015, 07:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I made a similar thread (with a less specific title) and got some useful tips here, if that helps.

08-20-2015, 02:17 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Printer noob here. I've been trying to figure out calibration and color profiles all day and think I cracked it. Please tell me if I did this right.
I calibrated my monitor to sRGB with a Spyder4 Pro. I printed from Lightroom and told it to use the color profile I saved for my monitor using the Spyder software. The color intent was set to "perceptual". I went ahead with it because the print preview looked indistinguishable from the picture in Lightroom. The print I made, on some old 4x6" Kodak photo paper looked pretty close to what the monitor displayed, but not perfect. The print was a little weak in the reds and possibly blues.
Was my color not perfectly reproduced because I did not have a specific ICC color profile for the paper I used or did I do something wrong with matching my color profiles?
08-21-2015, 06:15 AM   #9

Gomez, since you're using Lightroom, why not try printing via Canon Print Studio Pro using a sheet of the sample Canon paper for which you'll have the correct profile. If you loaded the software, you'll find it in Lightroom under File > Plug In Extras. Then if your print doesn't match your monitor to your satisfaction, you can do a Pattern Print for color balance, again using Print Studio Pro, and select which adjustments to cyan, magenta and yellow will allow you to achieve your desired results. Print Studio Pro also allows you to make a Pattern Print for adjusting Brightness and Contrast. A Color Correction Pattern Prints gives you a series of small prints with incremental adjustments (increases and decreases) to cyan, magenta and yellow to help you select the settings that will give the "perfect" print.
08-21-2015, 09:01 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by T Evergreen Quote
Gomez, since you're using Lightroom, why not try printing via Canon Print Studio Pro using a sheet of the sample Canon paper for which you'll have the correct profile. If you loaded the software, you'll find it in Lightroom under File > Plug In Extras. Then if your print doesn't match your monitor to your satisfaction, you can do a Pattern Print for color balance, again using Print Studio Pro, and select which adjustments to cyan, magenta and yellow will allow you to achieve your desired results. Print Studio Pro also allows you to make a Pattern Print for adjusting Brightness and Contrast. A Color Correction Pattern Prints gives you a series of small prints with incremental adjustments (increases and decreases) to cyan, magenta and yellow to help you select the settings that will give the "perfect" print.
Thanks for the advice T. I didn't even know I had Print Studio Pro.