Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2015, 03:14 AM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

In general, for me, good enough is enough - Win 7 is good enough so it's enough.

08-21-2015, 03:19 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Windows 10 has converted many of my Photoshop backup RAW files on my external drive
into XMP format which I can no longer open. Any ideas?
08-21-2015, 03:26 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Glenn M Quote
Windows 10 has converted many of my Photoshop backup RAW files on my external drive
into XMP format which I can no longer open.
No, it doesn't, and hasn't, Glenn.

*Photoshop* made one of those for each RAW file you imported and proxessed.
08-21-2015, 03:34 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What I am saying is that these files will no longer open in the RAW converter as usual for re editing.

08-21-2015, 03:36 AM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Glenn M Quote
What I am saying is that these files will no longer open in the RAW converter as usual for re editing.
They aren't your backup files.

They're sidecar files.
08-21-2015, 05:16 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Mdave, I can't agree with your blanket advice to everyone.
As a general advice, I can. Regardless of what software you use, newly released ".0" versions of any software more often than not contain bugs. This is true for any software, be it a new Windows version, Mac OS, Lightroom, whatever. The extend to which those bugs affect you may be different. But they probably will contain bugs. I think this has to do with the deadlines that are often involved with the release of totally new versions. But it also has to do with the fact that it's not feasible to test every application on the face of the earth before releasing the operating system. So, like it or not, early adopters are kind of "gamma testers" (instead of beta testers). They will probably get it right, don't worry. And if they won't, the application vendors will fix it on their end. They can't afford not to. But if your work is important to you, you probably should delay upgrading for at least a few months or so, for that whole process to settle down a bit.

But of course, I do understand the desire to get the latest and greatest sooner rather than later, even if every application you use doesn't run entirely smoothly yet.

I work in IT btw.

Last edited by starbase218; 08-21-2015 at 05:22 AM.
08-21-2015, 05:38 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not so bad here....I'd do it again...

When Win 10 came out, I volunteered to upgrade my work machine (MS Surface pro3 i7/ 8gb/512gb), went well. Power settings, screen security and start menu groups needed to be reset. Norton needed an upgrade, all free. Edge doesn't have a bookmarks import from Firefox, so I moved them to IE then to Edge. No big problems.

On the workstation for Photography (HP i7 Hex 24gb/256ssd/1tb) was flawless (but the machine was 1 month old, lost a HDD on a 7 yr old HP Desktop, forced the issue). WACOM Cintiq 13 install was smooth, new driver is very stable, although it takes boot control of the PC as monitor until Win 10 fully executes. Same on Norton as above. Office 365 was AOK, RP Camera Utility 5, and Silky Pix very nice. Eye-Fi worked fine for X2 Pro, when I upgraded from 16mb to 32 Pro-Mobi, sofftware is fine, but you can only put one card on one PC... An Eye-Fi issue, not Win 10.

Lightroom 5.7x, PS Elements12, Picassa, Fractals all ok. directories, hierarchies, XMP/ RAW/JPG all ok.

My biggest concern was PIE utilities for a high res Pacific Imaging XA scanner, I had previously had issues with Win 8.1 on the workstation and laptops. Only ran on WIN 7. Now PnP in WIn 10, all drivers (Cyber Util, Silverfast) fly. Silverfast execute/scan clicks are in a slightly different order, but it works faster and is more stable, feels better than old "klugey" execution.

Servers (Synology) work nicely, Win10 raids/mirror capabilities are smoother with Synology management software.

APCs/ messaging on 4 1800 power backups are more stable. Win 10 seems more "fault tolerant" with spikes/ outages (Florida storms/ flooding have hammered us).

If anyone needs WACOM/ PP or PIE help with these apps/ drivers, please feel free to PM me...

Best Rgds to all...

---------- Post added 08-21-15 at 08:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yup. For that reason I doubt I'll be switching over from windows 7. I upgraded the family ultrabook from windows 8.1 and it runs a bit faster now, but will be holding off on all other PCs.
I agree on privacy. I shut off ANY info passes/ recomments/ etc., use Disconnect, ABP, and typically engage in no user experience/ make-it-better feeds, etc. I opted out of every MS/GOOGLE/APP feeds and lock with N360 and Dicsonnect. All that said, I still worry like you do...
08-21-2015, 07:42 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mdave13 Quote
Delay upgrading to Windows 10 for a few months!!!! Basically just got back on line after a grueling 2 day job restoring my Computer. Tried upgrading to Windows 10 and found that several of my programs would not run properly, namely Live Mail, Corel PSPX7 and Family tree maker. After chatting with the useless Microsoft support for an hour, I decided to roll back to Win 7. After all, they said it would be no problem. WRONG. Sure, it downgraded ok but the programs were still giving me problems, and the up and down process had erased all my restore points. Luckily I use Acronis True Image to backup my entire main hard drive and was able to revert to a backup made last Friday, but not without having to do a fresh install of Windows 7 first as Acronis wouldn't run properly either. REPEAT, delay upgrading to Windows 10 till they get the bugs worked out. You have a year to get it free. In the short time I had it running, I liked the changes that were made. It's sort of the best of 7 & 8 combined.
I'm staying with Windows 7 Pro as long as I can.

08-21-2015, 08:24 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I have upgraded to windows 10 on my desktop for weeks now... and don't see any real issues with it - only with a couple of minor nuisance which was not there in Windows 7.
-menu fonts in the 32bit applications appear blurry and not clear; 64bit applications are fine. The fix is to disable display scaling on high DPI setting in the properties setting
-there is no command line window to run applications (now replaced with search web and windows in menu bar); just a matter of getting used to.

This of course is just IMHO, YMMV,
08-21-2015, 09:20 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just upgraded this morning on my old HP laptop and everything went okay. Where's the control panel?

Edit: Nevermind, I found it.
08-21-2015, 12:16 PM   #26

I am the worst. I wait until I need a new system before I upgrade. Too many nightmares with too many things. I am using windows 7 on everything except for one tablet that has 8.1 and i hate eight. The charms are anything but charming in IMHO. Is 10 an improvement. I hate 8 so much I have done nothing with the tablet expect surf the net and watch movies in my tent at night. It is my Netflix machine.
With my brilliant skills I am going to wait until I update my laptop or buy a new desktop and am forced to learn a new operating system. i am too old and too addled brain wise, I started with DOS for cripes sake and I need a rest.
08-21-2015, 12:23 PM   #27
Pentaxian

I have two Win8.1 systems successfully updated to 10. No issues.
08-21-2015, 01:06 PM - 1 Like   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My Windows 7 is running fine, I am going to wait until after the new year to install 10. It should have the bugs worked out by then. I am in no hurry.
08-21-2015, 02:06 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
After reading the link about the privacy attack, I am pretty sure the disclaimer will be different for different countries.
In the EU, this cannot be accepted. And in the past, German courts have frequently stated parts of the WIndows disclaimers are not compatible with our jurisdiction, and should just be ignored by customers and users.

Specially in my countriy, with this disclaimer there would be a warning by the federal authority about the usage. And the republic as well as the states could stop any state controlled body to do business with companies using Windows 10.

But my guess is, that they will force MS to change the default settings to a privacy sensitive line, or else.
I would love to install a version of W 10 which had the German restrictions on privacy violations activated. I suppose MS has thought ahead of me though, and won't allow me to get something in the USA that was actually in my interests instead of theirs.
08-21-2015, 03:47 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

These privacy issues are serious. Of course, I have no privacy issues, right?