Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2015, 10:37 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You should delay Windows 10 upgrade!!!!!

Delay upgrading to Windows 10 for a few months!!!! Basically just got back on line after a grueling 2 day job restoring my Computer. Tried upgrading to Windows 10 and found that several of my programs would not run properly, namely Live Mail, Corel PSPX7 and Family tree maker. After chatting with the useless Microsoft support for an hour, I decided to roll back to Win 7. After all, they said it would be no problem. WRONG. Sure, it downgraded ok but the programs were still giving me problems, and the up and down process had erased all my restore points. Luckily I use Acronis True Image to backup my entire main hard drive and was able to revert to a backup made last Friday, but not without having to do a fresh install of Windows 7 first as Acronis wouldn't run properly either. REPEAT, delay upgrading to Windows 10 till they get the bugs worked out. You have a year to get it free. In the short time I had it running, I liked the changes that were made. It's sort of the best of 7 & 8 combined.

08-20-2015, 10:49 PM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by mdave13 Quote
Delay upgrading to Windows 10 for a few months!!!! Basically just got back on line after a grueling 2 day job restoring my Computer. Tried upgrading to Windows 10 and found that several of my programs would not run properly, namely Live Mail, Corel PSPX7 and Family tree maker. After chatting with the useless Microsoft support for an hour, I decided to roll back to Win 7. After all, they said it would be no problem. WRONG. Sure, it downgraded ok but the programs were still giving me problems, and the up and down process had erased all my restore points. Luckily I use Acronis True Image to backup my entire main hard drive and was able to revert to a backup made last Friday, but not without having to do a fresh install of Windows 7 first as Acronis wouldn't run properly either. REPEAT, delay upgrading to Windows 10 till they get the bugs worked out. You have a year to get it free. In the short time I had it running, I liked the changes that were made. It's sort of the best of 7 & 8 combined.
My upgrade to desktop went fine and everything is properly working. However, the laptop was a perfect massacre...Spent a week retrieving my mousepad, apps disappear and reappear, Windows store downloads impossible, photo app systematic crash, error codes all over the place and MS proposes only incredibly elaborate manual fixes that do not work. The forums speak of a general disaster. Having thoughts now about a nice new iMac retina...
08-20-2015, 11:07 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My windows 7 sony laptop was listed as unsupported on Sony's website. Windows 8.1 didn't work and was awful with about 6 missing drivers not available from Sony, so I wasn't expecting much. (Sony sold their laptop division after I bought my laptop, so support has been a disaster.) I cloned the drive as a backup and installed anyway, just as an experiment.
Much to my amazement, everything works really well, no missing drivers, easy to use and fast, so I'm staying with 10. Also installed it on a 2008 imac without any issues.
08-20-2015, 11:13 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Mdave, I can't agree with your blanket advice to everyone.

The two machines I've upgraded (laptop, desktop) are fine, for instance - better than before, even!

1. Corel PSPX7 apparently needs Service Pack 3 to have been installed first for best compatibility.
2. Family Tree Maker 64-bit should be patched to at least 22.0.0.1404, 32 bit was apparently okay.
3. I don't think Live Mail works anymore - the built-in Mail app is now a minimal thing with a touch-centric interface. I use Outlook, anyway. This may be a deal breaker for you.

08-20-2015, 11:14 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

I've gone from 7 to 8 to 8.1 to 10 and haven't had any problems. Maybe doing individual steps has helped. PSPX7 runs fine. Did yours have the latest updates? BTW beware of the Refresh option. I thought it was the same as the old Repair but it wipes out all your applications which is a little bit more than a refresh in my dictionary. I've done two PCs and one laptop now. The laptop which is 8yrs old went straight from 7 to 10 but it's the kids' so there was nothing at risk there. 10 runs slightly better than 7 on the old hardware.
The really big issue with Windows 10 is privacy:
Windows 10 privacy problems: Here’s how bad they are, and how to plug them.
08-20-2015, 11:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

It is a sword with two edges however if the proper swordsman handles the blade than it will be fine.

I have made switch on 3 computers to windows 10 and in generally all runs much better. I like the windows 10 interface also better than 8.1 that's for sure. I had a problem only on one PC but fixed all in one hour (more than less). All the programs running fine as I had already on all PC's 64-bit windows edition running and no conflict issues. On the two PC's I did the upgrade and activate the windows 10 first than formatted the hard drive again and installed pure windows 10 Pro on both of them (windows got activated automatically as long as you sign in with same ID used during the upgrade). I had on one PC Win 7 Pro 64-bit, on the second 8.1 Pro 64-bit as well as on the third. Some of the programs are running better on the win 10 and some exactly the same as on the old OS.

Do not get scared but you have to be careful in regards of software compatibility especially if you having 32-bit windows edition installed, but this is obvious as it was the same case between win7 32 and 64 bit versions.

All your hardware should be also 64-bit compatible otherwise it will cause some problems with drivers running in compatibility mode or not running at all.

Just my 2c on this one. YMMV
08-20-2015, 11:23 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
The really big issue with Windows 10 is privacy: Windows 10 privacy problems: Here’s how bad they are, and how to plug them.
Yup. For that reason I doubt I'll be switching over from windows 7. I upgraded the family ultrabook from windows 8.1 and it runs a bit faster now, but will be holding off on all other PCs.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-20-2015, 11:39 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have done Dell E6530, runs faster, no problems except Cisco VPN client, IT is working on it.
All other are Mac's , I have WIN XP, 7 and 8.1 on them.
I wanted to upgrade 8.1 but I could not , my 8.1 is Enterprise and it is not free upgradable.

08-20-2015, 11:45 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Yeah , running W10 right now !
I downloaded the ISO , burned it to disc .. ( W10 )
Then upgraded VIA the DVD drive ...
Went rather smoothly , my only issue was with Virtual Box 5 , I reverted to an earlier build and no current issues ..
Supporting older software will always be an issue , and I still have software that needs XP to run , hence Virtual Box .

I migrated from 8.1 if that matters ?
W10 is here now , and by the time SP1 comes out , it will hopefully run smoothly for everyone ..
08-20-2015, 11:53 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Went from Win7 Pro to Win10 Pro in about 2 hours on my older AMD6000+ 4Gb RAM machine just over a week ago. Used the MediaCreationTool directly to do so.
No problems - everything remained and everything works..
My main PC is still on Win7 Pro, which I'll keep that way because I like Win 7
08-21-2015, 12:04 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
I have done Dell E6530, runs faster, no problems except Cisco VPN client, IT is working on it.
Tell 'em to install the updated Citrix DNE patch to get the Cisco stuff going.

I had to do it.

Last edited by clackers; 08-21-2015 at 03:09 AM.
08-21-2015, 12:08 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I've upgraded from 7 to 10 easily, but after 5 days turn back to 7. Yes, 10 works faster, but if I put my computer to sleep, is an error, and it take 10 minutes to start again. Hibernate, that I use all the time in 7, is no more. And the design of 10 is awful, and confusing, with windows without borders. Explorer I find it less easy to use, and with some unnecessary upgrades, but without others that was useful. Also, some programs must be reinstalled. And a friend of mine who has a SSD instead of HDD on his laptop tells me that his computer works much slower after he installed 10.

So, for now, IMO, Windows 10 is not a finished product.
08-21-2015, 12:19 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I have SSD and it runs with equal speed as previous Windows I had... also I do not have errors waking up PC from sleep.
08-21-2015, 12:38 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
The really big issue with Windows 10 is privacy: Windows 10 privacy problems: Here’s how bad they are, and how to plug them.
After reading the link about the privacy attack, I am pretty sure the disclaimer will be different for different countries.
In the EU, this cannot be accepted. And in the past, German courts have frequently stated parts of the WIndows disclaimers are not compatible with our jurisdiction, and should just be ignored by customers and users.

Specially in my countriy, with this disclaimer there would be a warning by the federal authority about the usage. And the republic as well as the states could stop any state controlled body to do business with companies using Windows 10.

But my guess is, that they will force MS to change the default settings to a privacy sensitive line, or else.

Last edited by RKKS08; 08-21-2015 at 12:45 AM.
08-21-2015, 01:18 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Install win 10 pro for 2 desktop
One for work one for photo
Corel. Canon printer Lightroom
Work fine
Only one problem can't created tumblenail photo folders view
Maybe some help
Generally work very smooth
Actually Corel sent me week ago new PsP x8 for trail
Ready include win 10 very cool new program