Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2015, 08:03 PM   #1

pentax k50 and lightroom RAW format editing question

I just got the k50 and set the settings to raw+ and took random photos. Imported to lightroom and tried to see how things work.

My initial assumpton on raw was that for instance if you raise a certain area on the picture up in HSL -- Saturation, that only that specific area will change. But i am getting the entire picture changing...is that normal?

I thought in raw format you can affect any one region without affecting the other. or am i mistake or have some setting wrong? please advice

shooting on 18-55 kit lens and AV

08-24-2015, 08:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
hsl will do the whole image. you will need to use adjustment brush, or graduated mask to do certain sections. you can up all the blue, for instance, but it will be the blue throughout the whole picture.
08-24-2015, 08:27 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Murfy Quote
hsl will do the whole image. you will need to use adjustment brush, or graduated mask to do certain sections. you can up all the blue, for instance, but it will be the blue throughout the whole picture.
When I was doing this with my point and shoot, i thought it was just because the picture wasn't raw format. But clearly i misunderstood.

So what am i actually getting when i am shooting raw with this camera? is this the same for all cameras?
08-24-2015, 08:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by max77p Quote
When I was doing this with my point and shoot, i thought it was just because the picture wasn't raw format. But clearly i misunderstood.

So what am i actually getting when i am shooting raw with this camera? is this the same for all cameras?
I am not sure I understand your question, but yes the hsl adjustments work the same for all raw files and jpg files. all the choices in the develop module work the same regardless of raw or jpg, they just work better with raw because it has more data, and none of the presets your camera applies if you shoot in jpg, such as sharpening

if say, you want to change a yellow sky to orange, if you use the hue slider for yellow, all yellow will change, so yellow flowers will be orange too. in order to just do the sky, you will need adjustment brush or graduated mask to just change the sky.

08-25-2015, 01:41 AM   #5
Veteran Member

As has been said you need to select a specific part of your image if you do not want global changes to the whole image,
There are two tools for that, the most usefull for specific items is the brush selection tool. For example you want to alter the exposure or colour of a single flower in a image you select it with the brush tool (top right of the tool bar in developed module )that open a menu with all the adjustments you can make.

If you want to alter a large area for example the sky in a image you use the graduated mask
Hope we have cleared up your question for you
08-25-2015, 06:44 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
As has been said you need to select a specific part of your image if you do not want global changes to the whole image,
There are two tools for that, the most usefull for specific items is the brush selection tool. For example you want to alter the exposure or colour of a single flower in a image you select it with the brush tool (top right of the tool bar in developed module )that open a menu with all the adjustments you can make.

If you want to alter a large area for example the sky in a image you use the graduated mask
Hope we have cleared up your question for you
Thanks makes perfect sense now!
08-25-2015, 07:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by max77p Quote
You get much more latitude to work in post-processing. With JPG, you can't do much more than light retouching. It's the same with all camera. If you want to do any sigificant post-processing work, use the raw. If not, use the JPG. With RAW+, you have the best of both world. If the JPG isn't to your taste, you can still reprocess the RAW to something more to your liking. You can even do it in-body and get different JPG versions of a same picture directly from the camera.