Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2015, 06:07 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ISO invariance and PP possibilities (link)

DPReview has an interesting article on ISO invariance of the A7R II but the principles probably apply to a whole host of cameras, especially all of the ones using Sony sensors. Basically, the conclusion is the image exposure can be boosted so much in PP that, in many cases, it makes sense to shoot with very high underexposure and then adjust afterward. This to protect highlights above all.

My question (based on not being all that fluent in PP) -- if one were to shoot with EC set to -2 or even -3 almost all of the time, what would be the correct set of default adjustments in PP? My hunch is it must be more involved than simply boosting exposure by +2 or +3 and then shoving the highlight slider as far as necessary. Are there other sliders that should be included in a general starting point? Does order of operation matter? Is this idea too dumb to even be worth playing with?

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/7450523388/sony-alpha-7r-ii-real-world-iso-invariance-study

08-26-2015, 07:48 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I often follow these steps when adjusting exposure in Lightroom. My K-5 probably isn't as ISO invariant as the A7RII, but I can push shadows a lot, avoiding the extra processing and often overprocessed look of HDR.

1) Adjust the exposure slider if the photo is ridiculously underexposed (or overexposed).
2) Adjust the white point slider while holding down Alt to see clipped highlights.
3) Adjust the black point slider while holding down Alt to see clipped shadows.
4) Adjust shadow and highlight sliders if the scene calls for it.
08-26-2015, 07:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So this is different from Exposing to the right (ETTR), where you expose as brightly as you can without clipping highlights? Interesting.
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
what would be the correct set of default adjustments in PP? My hunch is it must be more involved than simply boosting exposure by +2 or +3 and then shoving the highlight slider as far as necessary.
I guess this depends on the PP software. If it has numbers for Exposure that mimic EV progression, then yes, +2 would be used to combat -2 in-camera. But as a rule, each new camera requires slightly different PP. I remember how some users had problems with K-3, before they got the hang of the processing. After that, they got better results than with their older camera. So things like Contrast, Saturation, NR might need changes, as well.
08-26-2015, 08:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I read the article carefully.
At first blush it seemed excessively hypothetical with little relevance to the real world limitations of camera use.
But he might be on to something - I'll try it and see what happens.

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
what would be the correct set of default adjustments in PP?
I doubt there is any such thing especially when you are pushing the limits of a sensor. It's PP by the seat of the pants where you must trust your eye not some canned procedure.
My guess is it would be about the same as a ETTR exposure in RAW - Push up exposure until it looks roughly right than balance out low, mid and high tone as close as you can, bring it into Photoshop for a careful manual WB and then worry about a precise local tonal range that looks about right to your eye.

Last edited by wildman; 08-26-2015 at 08:21 AM.
08-26-2015, 08:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
I often follow these steps when adjusting exposure in Lightroom. My K-5 probably isn't as ISO invariant as the A7RII, but I can push shadows a lot, avoiding the extra processing and often overprocessed look of HDR.

1) Adjust the exposure slider if the photo is ridiculously underexposed (or overexposed).
2) Adjust the white point slider while holding down Alt to see clipped highlights.
3) Adjust the black point slider while holding down Alt to see clipped shadows.
4) Adjust shadow and highlight sliders if the scene calls for it.
pretty much what I do. and I always tend to underexpose my images, I like how it looks and develops better,
08-27-2015, 10:13 AM   #6

good stuff here