Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2015, 09:39 AM   #1
Senior Member
originalwinger's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Oro Station, Ont. Canada
Posts: 148
FastStone Auto-Adjust Colours

Hi, looking for help or suggestions to a problem I have not been able to solve. I shoot RAW with a K3 and PP with Faststone of which gives me great results by using Colours-colours auto-adjust colours and a bit of sharpening. This works well if I only have a few shots to do, but when I have 40-60 it becomes a long process. In batch convert the auto-adjust colours is not available and I have not been able to clone it in the Batch convert Advanced Ajustments options I should mention I have used CS6 for batch adjustments but was not happy with the reults. Am I missing something.

08-29-2015, 03:58 PM   #2
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 11,742
It looks to me like Colors > Auto-Adjust Colors isn't available for batch operations in FastStone.

And you can't do it just by selecting a bunch of images directly from a folder either. Browsing an image folder, I tried applying auto-adjust to three images (select 3 images, then go Colors > Auto-Adjust Colors). The result was horrible. FastStone seemed to average out the colours from all three images and apply that to the auto-adjust result. And it only seemed to work on the last image in the series too.

For what it's worth, other freeware image viewers/editors I like (eg IrfanView and XnView) do offer colour auto-adjust as a batch operation, if that is important to you.
08-29-2015, 04:23 PM   #3
Senior Member
originalwinger's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Oro Station, Ont. Canada
Posts: 148
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
It looks to me like Colors > Auto-Adjust Colors isn't available for batch operations in FastStone.

And you can't do it just by selecting a bunch of images directly from a folder either. Browsing an image folder, I tried applying auto-adjust to three images (select 3 images, then go Colors > Auto-Adjust Colors). The result was horrible. FastStone seemed to average out the colours from all three images and apply that to the auto-adjust result. And it only seemed to work on the last image in the series too.

For what it's worth, other freeware image viewers/editors I like (eg IrfanView and XnView) do offer colour auto-adjust as a batch operation, if that is important to you.
Thanks rawr, those were my findings also, i will take a look at those two and see what I come up with. The reason colour auto adjust is important to me is it is quick, easy and gives me what I like 90% of the time. I wish I could figure out how to get good auto results from CS6.
08-29-2015, 08:03 PM   #4
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Oklahoma USA
Posts: 1,651
Auto-adjust in faststone always blows out highlights for me. Am I the only one with that problem?

08-30-2015, 05:03 AM   #5
Senior Member
originalwinger's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Oro Station, Ont. Canada
Posts: 148
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
Auto-adjust in faststone always blows out highlights for me. Am I the only one with that problem?
After seeing your post I took 2 random DNG K3 files and put them through Faststone and Photoshop CS6 auto processing function. I then opened the saved jpegs in Silkypix to see what the blinkies indicated. The results were CS6 more over exposed than Fastone which brought the highlights out but not way overexposed. Are we seeing different things due to the different cameras ?
08-30-2015, 01:32 PM   #6
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Oklahoma USA
Posts: 1,651
QuoteOriginally posted by originalwinger Quote
After seeing your post I took 2 random DNG K3 files and put them through Faststone and Photoshop CS6 auto processing function. I then opened the saved jpegs in Silkypix to see what the blinkies indicated. The results were CS6 more over exposed than Fastone which brought the highlights out but not way overexposed. Are we seeing different things due to the different cameras ?
My photos are all with K100, K200, and K5, if that matters, the latter two DNGs. I don't have cs6. I gave up on auto-colors in Faststone and just use curves and levels and shadow/highlight adjustments now. Also I find that if I don't dial down the raw conversion brightness (to say 50%) I've lost a lot of the highlights before I even begin. I've tried using raw converters first, and some of the do seem to give slightly better results, they're just clunkier to work with. Obviously I'm only saving in 8-bit and typically save as PNG, then eventually convert to JPEG. Sometimes I need to use gimp or other software that can segregate adjustments to highlights/midtones/shadows more than Faststone can, although by far the biggest limitation with faststone is the inability to feather selections. Otherwise it seems to be very powerful.
09-03-2015, 06:15 AM   #7
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 366
I'm a big fan of Faststone, but only as a file browser and basic editor. I would not use it as a raw converter, as it's capabilities are rather limited in that respect ( no white balance adjustment, highlight recovery, etc. ). I should add that I have only used FastStone for RAW conversion a handful of times, so I have very little experience using it in this way. Perhaps I'm missing something.

I mostly shoot RAW+JPG these days. I'll often work with the JPG file unless really serious adjustments are required, in which case I will go back to the RAW file and convert it using something like DxO or PDCU. But I call out to these programs from FastStone, as it's full screen viewing and side by side comparison modes are excellent for choosing which images I want to work on.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
batch, colours, faststone, photography, photoshop
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Adjust "auto" tone level in Lightroom/ACR? GeneV Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 17 07-19-2014 10:36 PM
How to adjust/calibrate auto level mikeSF Pentax K-5 86 01-28-2014 08:38 AM
best procedure to adjust auto focus? JimJohnson Pentax K-r 7 03-07-2012 08:16 AM
K10D GX10 CCD Position Adjust (AF adjust) kevbirder Pentax DSLR Discussion 10 09-22-2011 02:35 PM
K5 auto focus adjust joelovotti Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 17 11-26-2010 10:55 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:40 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top