Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2015, 03:04 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lightroom lens profiles for kit lenses

Lightroom doesn't have profiles for some lens variants. I'm not quite sure how it selects the profiles from exif, but IIRC there is actually a database somewhere with each lens. So it may go by that number, not the name. But in fact there are, eg, a bunch of 18-55 zoom variants, like the DA, and the DA WR, but not the DA-L WR. Same goes with the kit zoom.

So, if I am gonna manually pick a profile for the smc PENTAX-DA L 18-55F3.5-5.6 AL WR should I use the DA WR, the DA L non-WR, or DA AL or DA AL II? I chose the DA non L AL WR, but I dunno if that's the best. I just figured that among those characteristics, the L perhaps changed stuff less than the others. Although maybe they're the same glass-wise.

08-30-2015, 03:42 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Short answer: They all share the same optical design and it probably makes little difference which you choose*. For the DA L 18-55 WR, I would use the profile for the DA 18-55 WR.

QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote
I'm not quite sure how it selects the profiles from exif, but IIRC there is actually a database somewhere with each lens. So it may go by that number, not the name.
It is by maker and number, though the files themselves are by name. The globally available profiles should be at <LR install dir>\Resources\LensProfiles\1.0\Pentax.

Steve

* The profiles involve distortion and vignette correction only.

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-30-2015 at 04:08 PM.