Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2015, 05:04 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
removing dirt from paper background

oops. I posted this to the wrong forum, how to you move it to the digital processing forum?

I just finished shooting a dance studio and was wondering what you did for cleaning the floor of the paper background. What I usually do is layer out the subject and then use a gausian blur on what's left.

Someone else mentioned lightening the dark spots, but that's alot of spots. I though using a color range to do the selection if I was going to be selectively lightening.

What do you think?

Here's an example.

09-08-2015, 06:09 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

09-08-2015, 06:12 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Moved to correct forum.
09-08-2015, 07:27 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like to use the Noise>median command in photoshop. Unlike the technique Aaron describes in the video, Median is much simpler, and it works for all solid color backgrounds, not just white. It even works when you have, say, a gradient of light the background falling across the seamless. They really just should have called it the "remove dirt" command.

All you have to do is duplicate your base layer (it may work on smart objects too, I'm not sure), then run the command. In the preview window, put the magnifier over one of the offending areas, and increase the slider until it all becomes a uniform color. Median does a fair job of respecting edges, so if the dirt is very fine, you may be able to get away without masking, but I usually have to mask. So just add a white mask to the layer that you just medianed (is that a word?), and paint your subject out, or you can add a black mask and paint the cleaned-up areas in. Depending on your image one way may be easier than the other.

09-08-2015, 09:39 PM   #5
Brooke Meyer

One of the reasons I use a 9x20 white vinyl background, cleanable which is important over 4 days of recital photos. Also, you need to light it, you're under exposed. I use a couple of AB800's in 64" Buff PLMs with diffusers. And I shoot everything in DNG, open 100 at a time in Adobe Camera Raw, cull and do global adjusts. For print orders or in the case of tape I put down for marks, clean up in PS. Love my Wacom digitizer.

Setup below and some examples Picture Days 2015

Last edited by Brooke Meyer; 11-05-2015 at 09:36 PM.
09-08-2015, 10:04 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
I like to use the Noise>median command in photoshop. Unlike the technique Aaron describes in the video, Median is much simpler, and it works for all solid color backgrounds, not just white. It even works when you have, say, a gradient of light the background falling across the seamless. They really just should have called it the "remove dirt" command.
Thank you for your assistance. I'll definitely try the Noise->Medium. That will give me more options when I get ready to clean them up.

---------- Post added 09-08-15 at 10:17 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
One of the reasons I use a 9x20 white vinyl background, cleanable which is important over 4 days of recital photos. Also, you need to light it, you're under exposed. I use a couple of AB800's in 64" Buff PLMs with diffusers. And I shoot everything in DNG, open 100 at a time in Adobe Camera Raw, cull and do global adjusts. For print orders or in the case of tape I put down for marks, clean up in PS. Love my Wacom digitizer.
Our setups seems to be similar. The image is definitely a little underexposed. I've only applied my general adjusts so far and currently waiting for the dance studio owner to select the shots she likes. I'm currently running 2 Einsteins and 2 B800's with 64" Buff PLMs Soft Silver with diffuses. I'll definitely need to check out vinyl. If you notice in the lower left, there's a white square on the floor. It's a 3M product for removing dirt off your feet. Similar to clean room mats. First year I've tried it and greatly reduced the dirt tracked on to the paper.

Been looking at the Watcom digitizers, but it keeps getting pushed back each year...to much LBA...

09-10-2015, 12:01 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tear it off and throw away, it's disposable which is why paper sweeps exist, we change ours even during a shoot, their cost is built into our overheads for any shoot.

09-10-2015, 06:08 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
Noise>median command in photoshop
Phlearn has a video on how to clean background using Noise>Median :
09-17-2015, 04:15 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I do the same as I would for skin blemishes etc. Clone stamp or one of its colleagues. Works well, and especially with a pen it doesn't take that long either. The great thing is it works on all surfaces, and it is great practice for beauty touch ups.