Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2015, 05:50 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
How would you process this image to bring out the Milky way?

I've been trying to capture images of the Milky Way and have been dissatisfied with the results. While not being an expert, I'm usually content with how I can process images. In this case, however, I cannot get close to what other people are getting with their Milky Way pictures.

This was shot towards the North (northern hemisphere). There is the halo of a city 40 minutes away showing to the right. Here is the original, along with the best I could do. Clicking the images will bring you to full size versions (mine are RAW, these are JPEG sadly, not sure how to link RAW in Smugmug). Have a go at it, as long as you teach me what you did

Original

Processed

09-11-2015, 06:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

why you don't link a TIFF image or if you have gmail/google account you can upload the file to google drive and list as public and put the download link here...
09-11-2015, 07:01 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Good idea, I'll try to do that at home this evening. Still, the 24 MP JPEG should be a good place to start
09-11-2015, 07:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

BTW - your JPEG image cannot be downloaded either just to let you know.

09-11-2015, 07:03 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

if you allow downloading of your image from SmugMug we can take a better peek...

Michael
09-11-2015, 08:34 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Sorry about that. Download should be possible now.
09-11-2015, 09:11 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I imagine you know this but darker skies would help.

09-11-2015, 10:53 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I imagine you know this but darker skies would help.
I do know this. working with what I have...
09-11-2015, 02:11 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I'm far to be an expert and I don't know exactly what you have done or not, but I would change the WB to 3900. I then work with an "inverted graduated filter", the masked part being on the bottom to work with the constrast and levels to get get the best out of it. Usually you've to be quite drastic with these settings... If you have it, I find these adjustemntes are best done with Topaz Clarity than with LR, since it allows finer constrast adjustments.
09-11-2015, 02:37 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I looked into his file but with JPEG file it is not much that can be done... too much noise, wrong WB, exposure has to be corrected etc. I just did quick dirty adjustments on jpeg file but this is far from good results.

09-11-2015, 02:55 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Do you have LightRoom? Try the new De-Haze feature as a start.
Very quick and simple, and does a pretty good job from what I've seen.
09-11-2015, 03:05 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
This was shot towards the North (northern hemisphere). There is the halo of a city 40 minutes away showing to the right.
According to the EXIF in the JPEG, you took the shot at 21h42. If you were in the Quebec City area, the milky way center, which gives the best shot, was to the south... What you got was only the end of the arm, which is not as bright or "good looking" than the center.
09-12-2015, 07:31 AM   #13

This is a really good tutorial for Milky Way photos:

How to Process Milky Way Astrophotography in Adobe Lightroom – Lonely Speck

It uses lightroom, most of his techniques would work in PS as well.
09-12-2015, 08:40 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is the Perseus Arm of our galaxy which is the farthest to the outside of our spiral arms. The constellations of Perseus (bottom left), Cassiopeia (center), and the Great Galaxy of Andromeda (center right) are plainly visible. Yes, the heart of the galaxy in Sagittarius will show the densest star fields but there is beauty across the heavens. Why limit yourself to a few months of the year?
09-14-2015, 05:13 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RAART Quote
I looked into his file but with JPEG file it is not much that can be done... too much noise, wrong WB, exposure has to be corrected etc. I just did quick dirty adjustments on jpeg file but this is far from good results.
I was away for the weekend and could not link the RAW. I'll do it this evening. Thanks already for the attempt.

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
Do you have LightRoom? Try the new De-Haze feature as a start.
I do have lightroom but not the CC6 version.

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
According to the EXIF in the JPEG, you took the shot at 21h42. If you were in the Quebec City area, the milky way center, which gives the best shot, was to the south... What you got was only the end of the arm, which is not as bright or "good looking" than the center.
Correct, I did not shoot the center. The South was filled with even more light than the North, sadly.