Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2015, 05:50 AM   #16

The others won't really be substitutes for Lightroom, which is why it costs as it does. I used Apple Aperture for about nine months until Apple announced it wouldn't support it any further. I am surprised how quickly Apple has been able to update iPhoto and Photos apps to handle RAW. But I know this doesn't make sense for non-Apple users, but it is a consideration for those thinking of a new computer.

09-19-2015, 06:13 AM   #17
Veteran Member

+1 for Darktable. Once I'd watched Robert Hutton's youtube tutorials on it I never looked back. I rarely even open GIMP these days.
09-19-2015, 10:47 AM   #18
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fikkser Quote
Are there any substitutes for Lightroom that are free?
Are you aware that you can probably get, Lightroom CC, Lightroom Mobile and PS CC 2015 for less than $10 a month?
09-20-2015, 12:33 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the answers! Guess I'll just have to try a few of them out!

Not interested in Adobes CC at the moment. I don't use the computer enough to justify it these days.

09-20-2015, 12:51 PM - 1 Like   #20
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Are you aware that you can probably get, Lightroom CC, Lightroom Mobile and PS CC 2015 for less than $10 a month?
I think a $1000 a decade is what he is trying to avoid.
09-20-2015, 12:55 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
I think a $1000 a decade is what he is trying to avoid.
With FOSS you get what you pay for.
09-20-2015, 12:57 PM   #22
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Not interested in Adobes CC at the moment. I don't use the computer enough to justify it these days.
That's great that you don't need to use a computer that much for your PP, as long as at the end of the day your getting what you want from your photography.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 09-20-2015 at 01:13 PM.
09-20-2015, 01:12 PM   #23
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I think a $1000 a decade is what he is trying to avoid
I really don't consider that to be a great cost, to keep the most current and updated software for my needs.

Prior to CC, I was paying full program cost initially, plus any update costs when they became applicable, for both Lightroom and Photoshop, which worked out substantially more than $1000 for the same 10 year period.

And prior to that... it was film and all the associated development costs of that, again substantially more than $1000 for the same 10 year period.

I guess it all depends at the end of the day what your photography means to you and what you need to get the job done.

For me that's the industry standard Adobe software, no rights or wrongs, just what works for me.
09-20-2015, 01:25 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
My company and many more have transitioned away from many commercial packages to FOSS for features and better support. FOSS can be far inferior or far superior to commercial software.
09-20-2015, 01:26 PM   #25
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for all the answers! Guess I'll just have to try a few of them out!

Good luck finding an alternative. I did it long ago by going totally FOSS with ubuntu . An interesting article from one taking their first step:Darktable, Linux, Lightroom and Pentax: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
09-20-2015, 01:29 PM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's not really a very smart remark, seeing that FOSS is what keeps the internet running, the stock exchanges ticking etc. And as for desktop software or OS's you'd probably be more correct in stating "with FOSS you always get more than what you paid for". You might not get what you wanted but as you pay zero, the fact you get more is a logic and automatic outcome.

Honestly, I thought we were over the fact that paying for something doesn't necessarily makes it better, it just makes it more suitable for larger audiences sometimes ending up in hiding interesting features or not benefiting from new developments.

The OT asked about alternatives and he got those. That shouldn't be a reason to go all sourpuss on the thread...

I'd second the previous calls on LightZone, RawTherapee and Darktable as well as Digikam for more of a DAM focus.
09-20-2015, 01:33 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
I'd second the previous calls on LightZone, RawTherapee and Darktable as well as Digikam for more of a DAM focus.
DAM??? What does that stand for?
09-20-2015, 01:39 PM   #28
Veteran Member

... and then some. Darktable is awesome.
09-20-2015, 01:40 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
DAM??? What does that stand for?
Digital asset management - basically digiKam is an image database which allows you to tag, geotag, comment, name and organize your images along with the option of a full 16-bit image editor thrown in as well as a raw conversion module based on the libRaw libraries. The editor does overall edits such as levels, curves, contrast etc. but not pixel-based edits such as stamping or cloning/spotting.
09-20-2015, 01:56 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
That's great that you don't need to use a computer that much for your PP, as long as at the end of the day your getting what you want from your photography.
I'm not very active at the moment. I take some pictures and keep them in the camera, but I don't import them to the computer very often. And what I tend to do in Lightroom is not worth 10 dollars per month. I think something open source should do just fine for me at this moment.

QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
Great! I will start with RawTherapee, saw a tutorial on youtube and it looks promising.

Good luck finding an alternative. I did it long ago by going totally FOSS with ubuntu . An interesting article from one taking their first steparktable, Linux, Lightroom and Pentax: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Interesting read! Thanks

Last edited by fikkser; 09-20-2015 at 02:01 PM.