Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-26-2015, 10:14 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Update! So what did I learn?

Tried RawTherapee - had to force stop it several times because it stopped responding. The crop function made me so mad I rage quit the ****. At this moment it wont be shut off from the X button in the upper corner, crap software.

Then I tried LightZone - Sony A7 raw files look like shit when I open them. Need to unlock and disable things to even make the image look OK. Do not want this... Below is how a slightly underexposed picture looks like when I open it in the editor with default settings.

What the he.. am I supposed to do? am I too stupid for those softwares? Lightroom might not be perfect, but I cant use any of the above. Leaning towards buying LR.

Edit:

Downloaded Capture One for Sony only, and it's free. Workflow seems OK and I managed to edit a picture with a pretty good results for being the first time. Only problem is that it wont work with my K-5 or Q that I rarely use these days. Mainly shoot A7 with Takumars.

Last edited by fikkser; 09-26-2015 at 11:16 AM.
09-26-2015, 10:35 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Have you tried Darktable yet?
09-26-2015, 12:10 PM   #33
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fikkser Quote
Update! So what did I learn?

Tried RawTherapee - had to force stop it several times because it stopped responding. The crop function made me so mad I rage quit the ****. At this moment it wont be shut off from the X button in the upper corner, crap software.

Then I tried LightZone - Sony A7 raw files look like shit when I open them. Need to unlock and disable things to even make the image look OK. Do not want this... Below is how a slightly underexposed picture looks like when I open it in the editor with default settings.

What the he.. am I supposed to do? am I too stupid for those softwares? Lightroom might not be perfect, but I cant use any of the above. Leaning towards buying LR.

Edit:

Downloaded Capture One for Sony only, and it's free. Workflow seems OK and I managed to edit a picture with a pretty good results for being the first time. Only problem is that it wont work with my K-5 or Q that I rarely use these days. Mainly shoot A7 with Takumars.
I have lightzone running in wine(not wine - thanks Newmikey) on linux but have never played with it much so your comments sent me off to have a look at it.
I am sorry but if it is too complicated for you and you are used to lightroom then you are better off paying your kickback to that company and getting on with photography.
Lightzone seems simple and intuitive to operate with a lot of presets (styles) for those who like to work that way.
If a person was unacquainted with both Lightroom and LightZone then I think Lightzone would be much simpler to learn than Lightroom.
The lack of a colour curves tool to drag the histogram around is a deal breaker for me (maybe I missed it) - I will stick with Gimp.

Just to clarify with people - the screenshot image of lightzone above is a detail of the tools area -- not an overview of the screen.

Last edited by GUB; 09-26-2015 at 01:50 PM.
09-26-2015, 12:32 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
I have lightzone running in wine on linux ...
Have to ask: why in wine and not the native Linux version? It's in the repos of most distros.

09-26-2015, 01:06 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Did you try Polarr?

Edit... Nevermind, despite chrome being linux based, polarr doesn't have a linux version!%/\:#!$#...

Last edited by UncleVanya; 09-26-2015 at 01:53 PM.
09-26-2015, 01:38 PM   #36
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
Have to ask: why in wine and not the native Linux version? It's in the repos of most distros.
Sorry -- brainfade - it is indeed the linux version. It is Faststone that I have running on wine
09-26-2015, 04:16 PM   #37
Pentaxian

I haven't fully committed to it but DxO often free-dumps their software when it's 2 generations old; I picked up v8 that way a couple months ago. If you have 'the Latest' in cameras this won't work at all, so my K-s1 should work via its native DNG but not Pentax' own raw. I've just been using Picasa raw conversions (dcraw?) until I have more time to relax by the computer (house refi in progress..).

09-27-2015, 07:04 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
I have lightzone running in wine(not wine - thanks Newmikey) on linux but have never played with it much so your comments sent me off to have a look at it.
I am sorry but if it is too complicated for you and you are used to lightroom then you are better off paying your kickback to that company and getting on with photography.
Lightzone seems simple and intuitive to operate with a lot of presets (styles) for those who like to work that way.
If a person was unacquainted with both Lightroom and LightZone then I think Lightzone would be much simpler to learn than Lightroom.
The lack of a colour curves tool to drag the histogram around is a deal breaker for me (maybe I missed it) - I will stick with Gimp.

Just to clarify with people - the screenshot image of lightzone above is a detail of the tools area -- not an overview of the screen.
Was just a tiny bit of sarcasm in my post, but I'm not that good at English. That picture of the tools area thing represents what the actual screen looks like - shit. What I meant was that it's hard to use because the raw files looks like crap. Don't want to start my editing with blown highlights on all pictures, even underexposed ones. Maybe it's just on my machine but it doesn't work with my .arw files. Rawtherapee froze too many times in an hour to be useful on my machine - makes it hard to use.

Capture one worked out of the box. Very nice feature...

Haven't tried darktable, haven't got Linux installed, might try on my Mac later.
09-27-2015, 08:45 AM   #39
Oricman

Aftershot 2 RAW converter, RAW Photo Editing Software - Corel AfterShot 2 - Formerly Bibble

I have seen it under £12, but at the price it's at now it isn't half bad. It is surely worth a try at this sort of price?
09-27-2015, 10:25 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fikkser Quote
Haven't tried darktable, haven't got Linux installed, might try on my Mac later.
Well, once you do get it installed, have a watch of Robert Hutton's tutorials on YouTube. These help immensely in getting to grips with the interface (which is actually pretty solid, but just looks daunting on first glance).

09-28-2015, 08:00 PM   #41
Veteran Member

LightZone can do amazing things... but I never get the majority of my pictures looking as good as the Pentax jpeg does. So I mostly only use it for certain circumstances.

I tend to use Fast Stone for browsing and minimal tweaks, PDCU for RAW conversion and bigger tweaks, plus then occasionally LightZone, GIMP or Perfect Effects. Everythign I use has been given away at one point or another. I was using DXO v8 as per Jim above, but while it will handle K5 files it won't do K3 ones. I also got PhotoDirector4 free at some point, and that has a number of neat tools, but similarly to LightZone I typically prefer the Pentax program's output.
11-01-2015, 03:30 PM   #42
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
You're on a Mac? The Photos app!

Yes, the Photos app built into OS X Yosemite and El Capitan is what I'm using now. Its RAW support is really good, too.

The editing tools certainly aren't as powerful as Lightroom, but I find its library management,exporting and keywording to be just as good. Beyond that, if you need to edit a photo further than what you can do with the built-in tools, both Pixelmator ($30 once off) and Affinity Photo ($40 once off, amazing program) have extensions built right into Photos.