Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2015, 06:01 AM   #1

Lightroom and Pentax lenses support

I've just purchased a copy of LR 6 (then updated to ver. 6.1.1). I am newbie with this software, and I've discovered that there some odd behaviours with Pentax lenses.

I can manually choose the Pentax brand and the supported lenses in DNG files shot with smc DA 17-70/4, which appears in the metadata in the Library tab and either in the Development tab for lens correction options.

HD DA 20-40/2.8-4 does not appear in the Library's metadata section, but in Development tab the lens appears and it is supported for distortion/vignetting corrections. But in JPG shots the 20-40 is not available and neither can be manually selected since there's not Pentax brand in the list of lens available for manual selection!

The DNG and JPG shots with other 'HD' lenses I have (15, 70, 55-300) do not show up neither in metadata info in Library, neither it is possible to select them manually in Development tab since you can not select Pentax (it would be possible to select manually at least the older 'smc' versions of the lenses for vignetting and distortion correction).

With older LR version (e.g. 5.7) have you the same behaviour?

10-05-2015, 08:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by celmarco Quote
I've just purchased a copy of LR 6 (then updated to ver. 6.1.1). I am newbie with this software, and I've discovered that there some odd behaviours with Pentax lenses.

I can manually choose the Pentax brand and the supported lenses in DNG files shot with smc DA 17-70/4, which appears in the metadata in the Library tab and either in the Development tab for lens correction options.

HD DA 20-40/2.8-4 does not appear in the Library's metadata section, but in Development tab the lens appears and it is supported for distortion/vignetting corrections. But in JPG shots the 20-40 is not available and neither can be manually selected since there's not Pentax brand in the list of lens available for manual selection!

The DNG and JPG shots with other 'HD' lenses I have (15, 70, 55-300) do not show up neither in metadata info in Library, neither it is possible to select them manually in Development tab since you can not select Pentax (it would be possible to select manually at least the older 'smc' versions of the lenses for vignetting and distortion correction).

With older LR version (e.g. 5.7) have you the same behaviour?
The "HD" lenses are rather new and Adobe doesn't seem to be in a rush to add Pentax profiles. So, they aren't in the current database. No, an older version would not have them either.
10-05-2015, 09:24 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

one of the reasons I like DxO Optics Pro -- they do a very good job providing modules for Pentax lenses. For example, both lenses you mention are supported. Here is a page that lets you see what lens/bodies are supported: Supported cameras | www.dxo.com

Michael
10-05-2015, 09:49 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
The "HD" lenses are rather new and Adobe doesn't seem to be in a rush to add Pentax profiles.
I thought I read somewhere brands like Nikon get their profiles in Lightroom really fast is because they do the profile tests and submit them to Adobe. But I dunno. And if that is true, then Ricoh needs to also do that for their user base.

10-05-2015, 10:31 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
The "HD" lenses are rather new and Adobe doesn't seem to be in a rush to add Pentax profiles. So, they aren't in the current database. No, an older version would not have them either.
It seems that all new Pentax lenses are supported by LR/Camera Raw, even the new full frame 24-70: https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/lens-profile-support.html#Pentax
But what I found is that for HD 20-40/2.8-4 the JPEG profile is not there, in my case only with RAW it works.
Also, there's a bug because even if HD 15/4 is not supported, I cannot even select manually the supported smc 15/4 (which for distorsion/vignetting should have the same behaviour), because Pentax does not appear in the list of selectable brands.

Last edited by celmarco; 10-05-2015 at 10:49 PM.