Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2015, 06:53 AM   #1

Need a monitor +/- $200

I've dealt with the poor color calibration from my laptop long enough. Had a child a month ago and family members want prints of pictures. Times I've tried to send files to a photo lab the prints do not come out as I see them. I'd love to hear your recommendations for a good monitor under $200 or not much over.

10-06-2015, 07:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Small suggestion in the meantime - process in-camera. Muted, saturation +2, contrast +2, fine sharpness +2, sRGB. I've had good results with these settings. YMMV of course.

As for monitors, Dell Ultrasharps seems to be recommended, but you might need to shop used or refurbished to get under 200$.
10-06-2015, 07:33 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dell ultrasharps are what I use after trying a couple other brands. But as noted you might want to look for a used one to stay in your budget.

Also, are you calibrating the monitor or just using the stock calibration? An investment in a calibration tool might give you a better result than a new monitor assuming your current one has adjustment controls. At any rate no monitor is going to be correct for your lighting without calibration so you should at the cost of a calibration tool to your budget.
10-06-2015, 08:32 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Dell ultrasharps are what I use after trying a couple other brands. But as noted you might want to look for a used one to stay in your budget.
Dell also sells refurbished monitors that have come off of lease. Check their website.

10-06-2015, 09:55 AM   #5

Original Poster
Anybody have experience with this?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B1IAL7W/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=178...thedigcam05-20
10-06-2015, 04:03 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Bunch Quote
I've dealt with the poor color calibration from my laptop long enough. Had a child a month ago and family members want prints of pictures. Times I've tried to send files to a photo lab the prints do not come out as I see them. I'd love to hear your recommendations for a good monitor under $200 or not much over.
How about Iiyama Prolite XB2483HSU? I have had similar issue as you have: my laptop colours were terrible. I then searched for a good and cheap display and that is what popped up. It is definitely not a pro display but if you are looking for your laptop screen replacement that is something worth to look at.

Regards,
Piotr
10-06-2015, 06:16 PM   #7
mee
Veteran Member

I might skip AVMA based monitors and go with an IPS panel instead. I think the AVMA panels still shift the color at different angles? I know they used to in the past.

You also might want to consider 16:9 or 16:10 format for the screen. Though there are fewer 16:10 sized monitors out there today...

Also make sure you calibrate it. This is where monitor calibration is actually useful.. not for calibrating to make your flickr or facebook posted images look accurate to other people (since they won't likely have the same color calibration or even color output ability as your monitor), but in printing your photos as you see on your calibrated screen (to the printer).

10-07-2015, 06:57 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I might skip AVMA based monitors and go with an IPS panel instead. I think the AVMA panels still shift the color at different angles? I know they used to in the past.

You also might want to consider 16:9 or 16:10 format for the screen. Though there are fewer 16:10 sized monitors out there today...

Also make sure you calibrate it. This is where monitor calibration is actually useful.. not for calibrating to make your flickr or facebook posted images look accurate to other people (since they won't likely have the same color calibration or even color output ability as your monitor), but in printing your photos as you see on your calibrated screen (to the printer).
The Asus screen I posted above is an IPS. While I'd prefer a 16:10, I don't think I'll find one that fits the budget.
10-07-2015, 08:24 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Actually the latest VA panels (like AMVA+) are not that bad nowadays. As a matter of fact I have never felt like angles for my model are causing any color issues when working with photos. Also do not forget about much better black levels and contrast for the VA.

Though we need to keep in mind that "angles" and "black levels" and the way we perceive them is very subjective and it is always better to verify in real live if AMVA or IPS works better for us. The thing that is good for one may be unacceptable for the other...
10-07-2015, 09:25 AM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
An investment in a calibration tool might give you a better result than a new monitor
+1 on this, IMHO calibration is a must when it comes to printing, or even better as part of a colour managed process.
10-07-2015, 05:25 PM   #11
Pentaxian

LG has some decent IPS monitors for right around that price range. I have an IPS235 that I bought in Best Buy for $229. It calibrates nicely with a Syder 4 Pro.
10-08-2015, 12:31 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
+1 on this, IMHO calibration is a must when it comes to printing, or even better as part of a colour managed process.
+2 then, here. A calibration tool is must-have no matter what monitor you are using, even if it's just your laptop screen. I would recommend purchasing the tool first and calibrate your current screen.

Not all screens operate at the magical gamma curve of 2.2. My Huion display tablet was at a whopping 3.3 or something crazy like that and I finally got it down to 2.4.There is a slight, but noticeable, difference in the highlights and shadows when compared to my iMac display that hits the calibration curve perfectly.

Calibration tool first, 2nd monitor second.