Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2015, 03:30 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Imac, Aperture, and iPhoto question

This question has been bouncing around in my head for a couple of years.

Can you resize your photos in Aperture and iPhoto?

Where this question came from is that my father has an iMac with both Aperture and iPhoto (when he was editing he mostly used iPhoto) and he sent me a couple of photos through email. As you can expect, the photos took a long time to download.

After he sent the email, we were talking and I asked him if he resized his photos for sending in email and he told me "he didn't know how to resize." So I get on his iMac (I'm a pc guy) and start looking around in iPhoto and Aperture to see where to resize and I could not find anyplace to do that.

Did I just miss the dropdown menu where you can do this or can you not resize a photo in iPhoto and Aperture?

10-06-2015, 03:40 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You resize the photos when you export them. There are several sizes available when you use the mail function.

How To Resize Images Using iPhoto [Mac]
10-06-2015, 06:37 PM   #3

Even simpler, if your dad uses apple's mail program to send you email, is to choose the "small", "medium" or "large" options for image size. Compared to "actual size", each of these options reduce file size, to varying degrees.

Apple's mail allows you to choose these options whenever you attach a photo. And the choice of size isn't hidden in an obscure menu - it appears in the mail window itself.
10-06-2015, 07:38 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Like Lightroom,
iPhoto, Aperture and now Photos all preserve the original image file you load into them, whether it be from a camera, scanner or whatever.
If you want to make a permanent change to the file you have to save a copy. At that point, you can specify size and format.

In iPhoto and Aperture, I've found it easiest to use the "File-> Export" command for most control. It gives you the most options for size and format.
The "Share" command in iPhoto and the "File->Share" command in Aperture allow a quicker and less options way to get there if you are e-mailing or posting to SM.
I have not messed with Photos much yet, but looks like it has the same functions under "File-> Export" and "File->Share".

10-06-2015, 08:15 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you all for your answers.

This question was more out of curiosity then anything else. I have been wondering about it for a couple of years because when we first talked about it, I looked around and found pretty much what you guys said.

Sadly, my father stopped taking photos and editing due to the loss of eye sight from macular degeneration.

Thanks for clearing up my curiosity.