Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2015, 10:05 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Latest Lightroom Gaffe Good for Capture One Pro?

After the latest Lightroom gaffe in which Adobe released an update to Lightroom, knowing that it contained a bug, causing a huge uproar with users complaining about crashes, slowness, and removed functionality, I wonder whether this will drive more users into switching to Capture One Pro.

Apparently Adobe is determined to increase the user base for Lightroom and targets users using mobile devices and with a preference for simple interfaces. Unless Adobe decides to create two Lightroom versions in the future, I think this is bad news for those who appreciate Lightroom's design as it is and only wish for better performance and/or more pro-features.

As Capture One Pro started to support DNG 1.4 with version 8.3, i.e., no longer just supports native DNG from certain cameras, I will take another look at this alternative. Michael Woloszynowicz published a comparison between Lightroom and Capture One (version 7) a while ago. I'm not sure whether the claimed better RAW conversion quality is real or (more likely) just due to different default development settings. In any event, although I really liked Lightroom, I'm tired of Adobe's non-existent quality control and the need to force stop Lightroom now and then, and its annoying problems with refreshing previews and incorrect colours in previews. I furthermore have difficulty getting nice colours from my K-5 II despite having resorted to using custom camera profiles (created with an X-rite ColorPassport) and tweaking the latter by hand.

I look forward to playing with the latest C1 version and hope it will be a good alternative to Lightroom.

10-17-2015, 10:17 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I wonder whether this will drive more users into switching to Capture One Pro.
They certainly had me thinking about it.

However, Adobe's Tom Hogarty issued a public apology and then they announced yesterday that the next point release would bring back the old import dialog. Maybe they got the message...........? I guess we will see. The complaint thread on the Adobe forum is the largest thread there and the next largest has been up for years.

All well and good to try and get new users but when you mess with peoples' workflow, while they are trying to make a living, I guess some blowback is to be expected. I still have no idea what they were thinking. Especially when they publicly reported they knew about the bug but went ahead and released anyway.
10-17-2015, 11:18 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
and now Im glad I'm still using 5.7
10-17-2015, 11:27 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by twuynh Quote
What he said!

10-17-2015, 11:53 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by twuynh Quote
On my home PC I still use 5.7.1 - At work we have Capture one, Lightroom 6
10-18-2015, 12:09 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

I look forward to playing with the latest C1 version and hope it will be a good alternative to Lightroom.
I really like C1, and have kept it up-to-date alongside LR. But the two have quite different UI's and learning curves, and arguably usage cases too.

Overall I find C1 Pro by default extracts better, crisper detail than LR, works quickly, is very stable, produces good colours [once they get around to fully supporting your camera body], and has some handy development features (eg layers support) lacking in LR. It's certainly worth getting to know C1.

Just don't buy C1 expecting it to support the 645Z or 645D anytime soon, if you have one of those bodies.
10-18-2015, 12:33 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
don't buy C1 expecting it to support the 645Z or 645D anytime soon
They have been dragging their heels over that....

10-18-2015, 03:49 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
At work we have Capture one, Lightroom 6
Which one do you prefer for what purpose?

Lightroom might be better regarding image selection / comparison with its dedicated modes for these purposes, but as I wrote, I've had great difficulty getting good colours from my K-5 II (K100D was fine). Perhaps Adobe optimises their approach for Canon CFAs.

N.B., It is not a surprise that Phase One, the company behind C1 (Capture One), is not too much in a hurry to support the Pentax MF models. After all, they are competing with their own hardware.
10-18-2015, 06:12 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Which one do you prefer for what purpose?
This is a real can of worms in the studios where I work. Some of my colleagues are Capture one fans, some are Adobe fans. The reality is the program I use is largely driven by Client demand: my own preference is irrelevant I have to be able to use both competently. Some clients will request cooked TIFF files, that is easy I use C1 for that*. Some clients will ask for a LR Catalog populated with smart previews so they can see the work I have done and can mark images they want and give me an idea of how they want them to look. Though personally I prefer capture one for Image quality of RAW output, colour corrections and Moire control but I'm also a huge fan of the flexible image management, key wording, and offline editing capability of Lightroom.

*especially with the images from the Phase one back.
10-18-2015, 06:33 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Though personally I prefer capture one for Image quality of RAW output, colour corrections and Moire control but I'm also a huge fan of the flexible image management, key wording, and offline editing capability of Lightroom.
Thanks, this suggests that I'll probably appreciate C1 quite a bit.

I never used the DAM features of Lightroom much. And I hate how slow and jerky the scrolling in Lightroom's library module is. The free software Picasa is better at this.
10-18-2015, 06:46 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll probably appreciate C1 quite a bit.
Just a word of warning, the C1 colour profiles for pentax cameras aren't very good, you will have to build a custom profile...unless you REALLY like the colour green.

I never used the DAM features of Lightroom much. And I hate how slow and jerky the scrolling in Lightroom's library module is.
I don't have this issue because all my unsorted image catalogs are on SSDs, I use standard Hard drives for archival deep storage.
10-18-2015, 08:00 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Just a word of warning, the C1 colour profiles for pentax cameras aren't very good, you will have to build a custom profile...unless you REALLY like the colour green.
Apparently there are bad profiles (e.g., for the K-3 which initially was just a copy of a K-5 profile and then updated to something not much better) and some rather good ones. IIRC, user "ChrisM" at the PhaseOne user forum reported that the v2 version of the K-5 II profile is rather good.

I don't have this issue because all my unsorted image catalogs are on SSDs, I use standard Hard drives for archival deep storage.
I'm pretty sure the problem is not hard disk speed, but the sh*tty programming by the amateurs that call themselves "engineers". For the folder sizes I have been browsing, all of the thumbnails could be easily cached and displayed with lightning speed with smooth scrolling (with proper programming). No SSD required. Depending on the hardware, Lightroom will perform better or worse but there is little rhyme or reason as to when it isn't slow. Lightroom can crawl on very powerful hardware and run more smoothly on pretty average hardware. Too bad that they never managed to get on top of this problem which was mainly introduced with LR3 (a version that was supposed to bring performance improvements but meant drastically decreased performance for many happy LR2.7 users).
10-19-2015, 05:21 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I always wait to install CC updates. Adobe doesn't force you to update to the latest version. The CC model has generally been good and I hope they learned a lesson. I haven't updated in a while and I won't for the time being. There's nothing really important here other than a relocated Haze slider.
10-19-2015, 05:53 AM   #14
Veteran Member

They have stated they are trying to make it easier for new users, but I have heard they are going back to the old import screen. I am still on 5.7 with Lightroom. The thing that is preventing me from switching to capture one is the lack of catalog system. I keyword and then create collections for art shows, or group photos by my family members, I need to search by camera or lens sometimes. Sometimes I need a to look at photos within a certain year. I think capture one has better editing, but the keywording is what has got me staying in Lightroom, and I will stay there until there is some way to carry over the files and retain all the keywords.

Unless there is another program that can do a catalog like Lightroom? Then I would consider that along with capture one.
10-19-2015, 07:58 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Murfy Quote
The thing that is preventing me from switching to capture one is the lack of catalog system.
Capture One supports catalogues in addition to sessions. It also supports hierarchical keywords:

Not sure how well searching for particular lenses or cameras is supported. Apparently you can search for any text in metadata, so perhaps even that is supported. EDIT: As one can add new filters based on EXIF/IPTC data, searching for particular lens models shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited by Class A; 10-19-2015 at 08:42 AM.