Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-22-2015, 05:08 PM   #16
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Just received a response from my Adobe forums post.

Typical response:
Reinstall - been there, done that, still failed. Add into that according to some here, that is not the best thing to do based on 40 years of dealing with crappy software.
Run any plugins? - Not a bad thing to think of, but the only plugins I had enabled were Color Checker Passport and DNG Profile Manager.
Go back to version 6.1.1 (which worked, but so did 6.2.1 first time out)
Post your configuration from the LR tool - ah, can't LR is not on the machine.

At least the community is trying. I am still working up the gumption to continue looking for LR droppings on my file system to clean up before another reinstall. So it goes.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL

10-23-2015, 01:32 AM   #17

I feel your pain. I had major problems with some HP printer drivers. I did not care at all for the change in functionality of one of the updates but couldn't get a reinstall of the older version to take. Even when using HP removal tool which supposedly scrubbed everything off. Finally I just deleted any file and folder that started "HP". Then I went through the registry several times with some registry cleanup tools and finally manually going through and tearing out anything starting "HP". It took me maybe 3-4 hours just on the registry.

The driver version I wanted installed cleanly after that. And all was fine until the print head went out on the printer a few months later. I had an unboxed printer that a relative had given me so I just replaced the printer. All was fine until 6-8 later the print head went out on that one too. And no, I was not using non-HP ink. Fed up at this point with HP I bought an Epson printer and so far am happy although it seems to eat ink at a faster rate then the HPs.
10-23-2015, 11:21 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is why I'm so hesitant to update anything anymore. I'm using a 5 year old PC with a Vista era motherboard. I had issues from the beginning with Windows 7 but got it all worked out and what I have works fine. I don't want Windows 10 on this machine and I no longer have auto updates enabled because Microsoft is ramming Win 10 down everybody's throats and even going so far as installing it secretly on our hard drives. I have Adobe CC but they don't force you to update so I likely won't.

In the past, Adobe issued several Beta versions before releasing a final version. That way, most of the bugs got fixed. Now it seems they no longer have a beta program so stuff like this will likely become common.
10-23-2015, 11:52 AM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
. I'm using a 5 year old PC with a Vista era motherboard.
Fwiw, Win10 will speed up that computer. :-)

10-23-2015, 01:08 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Fwiw, Win10 will speed up that computer. :-)
Maybe but I'm planning on a new build soon anyway. I would rather start out with a clean slate. As for Lightroom updates, I'm in no hurry at all. I haven't purchased any new lenses or a new camera so I'm not in need of any profiles. What I have is working fine and until I upgrade my hardware, I'm keeping it that way.
10-23-2015, 05:02 PM   #21
PDL
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Two things, received another response:
Are you running plug-ins from ON1? ==> Ah, no - as I said in my first response - I do not use plug-ins other that those from X-Rite.

If anyone is going to "get" Windows 10 - please, please get the Pro version. You will gain the ability to have much more granular control over your system using global policies (even on a stand alone system). If you get the Home version, you pass nearly control over to Microsoft, which some may say is a bad thing.

10-23-2015, 05:55 PM   #22

The only piece of software I have on autoupdate is my virus scanner. Everything else is check on demand. And before I update anything I always do a disk image backup and a system restore point. Many updates will do a system restore point for you but it never hurts to do one of your own before hand.

10-23-2015, 08:34 PM   #23
PDL
Pentaxian

Original Poster
If you are using Windows 10 Home you can not turn off updates. Another reason to get Pro.

10-24-2015, 12:38 AM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
If you are using Windows 10 Home you can not turn off updates. Another reason to get Pro.

Yeah, this is a feature aimed at Enterprise IT people like me, but there's no reason except cost you couldn't do it at home.
10-24-2015, 01:13 AM   #25

Even in Pro You cannot pick and choice which updates to install. Nor can you turn updates off completely. Just defer the new features. And those will get rolled in eventually want 'em or not. You might be able to turn off new features once they are installed with the Group Policy editor as you can with Cortana. But you cannot keep them from being installed. The only way to avoid updates on Win10 would be to not connect to the Internet. However since much of Win10 is cloud based it may not be fully functional.
10-24-2015, 04:57 AM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

True that you can only defer - my bad. (Edit: Even using your own update server)

On any edition including Home you should be able to disable the update service, either temporarily or permanently.

Not to be recommended, unless you're a Unabomber sort with a cabin in the woods.

Last edited by clackers; 10-24-2015 at 01:16 PM.
10-24-2015, 02:19 PM   #27
PDL
Pentaxian

Original Poster
This thread has gotten a little off topic.

My issue is with Adobe, not Microsoft. On my system, something occurred with the LR install and it was broken. I am still "getting around to it" to delve into dig into the c:\Program Data folder to dig out more Adobe droppings. Windows 10 updates have nothing to do with my ongoing issue and as a matter of fact MS downloaded updates to MSVC x86 and x64 onto this machine yesterday (the 23rd). I am sure that this was as a consequence of my device phoning home with regard to its system integrity.

Now I know this next statement is going to tick off some people who have 40 years experience in using crappy software. But the run-time components are used by multiple programs including the OS itself. MS detected that the run time environment had been deleted, so it brought down the latest version so programs/OS components can function and that is pretty impressive. MS, in this case, is being pro-active in keeping my system working. Your mileage will vary as your opinion will too. Keep in mind that while I hold a degree in Computer Science, when I am using a off-the-shelf application, it is not my responsibility to debug application failures as a simple end user. In my real world work experience, I worked on software projects using multiple platforms, with multiple languages and a wide range of application functionality. I also worked for many years as a Windows System Administrator and had to deal with 3rd party software providers who's software would fail and cost the company downtime => money - real money. I had to argue with 3rd party developers in multiple cases where the knee jerk reaction is "reboot", "reinstall". You do not reboot/reinstall a production system supporting multiple applications at the whim of a so-called propeller head. I do not want to work out Adobe's Pcubed (P*ss Poor Programming) problems, they are not paying me to "test" their software which is supposed to be a production release. If Adobe has an explanation for or experience with this issue, then THEY should be coming forward with potential solutions.

Anyway I have most likely p*ssed everyone off, so if I get "around to it" with a process that resolves the problem I will let you know and I will let Adobe know so others can be assisted. One more thing, why Adobe puts MS dll's in its own folders, when the dll's are OS components is just, to be blunt, STUPID. There, I feel better.

Last edited by PDL; 10-24-2015 at 02:27 PM.
10-24-2015, 03:47 PM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

One more thing, why Adobe puts MS dll's in its own folders, when the dll's are OS components is just, to be blunt, STUPID. There, I feel better.
I actually have no issue with this decision of theirs, Elitist.

When a program calls a library, by default it will use one in its own directory before any other.

So Adobe have the choice of using the current system version of a DLL, or an older 'known good' one they did all their testing on.
10-24-2015, 04:53 PM   #29
PDL
Pentaxian

Original Poster
So the reintroduction of DLL hell? Not a good way to go, the mid 90's called and they want their paradigm back.

10-24-2015, 05:52 PM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

(Sigh). No, it's definitely not that, since the Adobe version of the DLL isn't overwriting the system version - that was what we called DLL Hell.

It is well-behaved and installing to its own clearly defined directory.

And if it somehow did otherwise, the system restores itself over the modified version.

That dll lives and gets called inside the Lightroom folder. Windoze and other apps never use it.

Last edited by clackers; 10-24-2015 at 06:10 PM.