Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2015, 05:04 PM   #31
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
After two more days of fighting the Adobe "crap" left in folders/profiles I have reinstalled Lightroom, updated the system to 6.2.1 and low and behold it works.

This was a long and painful way to get back to something usable and some of it, actually most of it over the last few days, was due to me being stupid. Let me add here that this machine first had Windows 7 Pro x64, upgraded to Windows 8 Pro, 8.1 Pro and now rests at Windows 10 Pro. No bare metal installs, all upgrades from the previous OS.

Short story: As I was going through the various folders for all of the accounts that I was using on this machine, I arrived at the point where I was "going to clean up the temp folder" on my admin account. (Please note: I have been using Windows NT and its derived system since the 90's. I still have the Beta CD's) I also have been purposely deleting crap out of temp folders for a good long time. When at work, someone would come over to me and say they were running out of disk space and needed help, the first thing I would do was have them shut down all applications and delete everything out of the temp folder and clear out their browser cache (when we got browsers on everyone device). After cleaning the temp folder, the end user would usually have enough space cleaned up to get work done (most of the time when people came over it was due to the fact that their backup software did not have enough room to run, most backup software systems need 5% or more empty space)

So, here I am back on topic. I changed to the, key phrase, temp folder and holding down the shift key pressed delete. Only I was not in the temp folder, I was in its parent. eg.
Thought I was here C:\Users\<UserID>\AppData\Local\Temp
I was here: C:\Users\<UserID>\AppData\Local

Sooo, I yet again (this is not the first time I have really screwed up one or another of my systems) I proved that you can not out run the delete key. I even clicked OK a few times as various folder names scrolled by. The account was so screwed up that once I was at the desktop I could not get back to the Start Menu.

Resolution - I was still able to get into Computer Management (CMD box still worked as did right click on the start menu button) and activate the "Real" Administrator account and give it a usable password. I logged on as the Real Admin and just blew away (losing what little data I had in my old day-to-day admin account) the account and profile. I then Created a new admin account for me to use and logged out.

I logged in as the new Admin account and after setting up a few things to get it working as I wanted, I disabled the "Real" Admin account, changed the password to a 25 character set of garbled random characters then deleted its profile. Now I have my system running as I want - er sort of. I have my Admin account I use to install/uninstall programs, update drivers and rule the roost as it were.

By the way, Lightroom seems to be working, but we will see. I really do not use it all that much any more on my primary system but it does have its uses. I use Capture One as my primary editor with Lightroom primarily as the application that I will start experimenting with stitching image together with. I have some scenes from Edinburgh and the mountains in SE Wyoming to play with.

So this story is resolved, but it took folder and registry editing to get it fixed, something that a average computer user might have bit of an issue with. Most of the really stupid things that happened were my own fault, but the machine has suffered zero down time as a result, which is pretty impressive actually.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL

Last edited by PDL; 10-28-2015 at 05:11 PM. Reason: spelling
10-29-2015, 01:12 PM   #32
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Just received a note from another Adobe user who pointed to this:

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/missing-msvcp110dll.html

I was not suffering from any "missing DLL's" so the response was missed placed. That said I did find it interesting that Adobe has a method of reinstalling MSVC runtimes on the Windows platform. If I had known this, I would tried it to see if that would fix the problem. The point is moot now, since my gyrations, fit starts and general screw-ups have resulted in a working Program. Nice to know that this exists, something to put in the old "when product X has this problem - try this".

I also received a note from Adobe "help". However their link just took me to a generic issue/contact us page. Even with an issue number I could not get to the person who sent me the link. I believe that Adobe could do better here. I have had issues with Capture One and when I get a notice from their help staff, I get pointed to a list of ALL of the issues I have had. I think Adobe could learn a lesson here.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
12-16-2015, 06:54 PM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
I have a Perpetual License (the one where no "new" features are provided for paid in full owners) used up a good hour to let the "update" occur.
I think Adobe revealed their true colours by not giving perpetual license holders updates like "dehaze and defog" on the basis that only subscribers can benefit from continuous improvements, but then forcing their rubbish attempt at improving the import dialogue on everyone, including the perpetual license holders.

So in the one case were one actually wished to be protected from their "continuous improvements", being a perpetual license holder was of no use. So it seems clear to me that the subscription scheme Adobe is trying to force on everyone is unrelated to improving user experience but only owed to the fact that Adobe would never be able to make as much revenue, if people actually made concious update decisions. Their products are already so feature overloaded and Adobe seem unable to address the real performance bugs, so new updates typically aren't that attractive to the majority of users.

I have been an enthusiastic Lightroom user, but Adobe's failure to fix what needs to be improved and instead developing into the wrong direction made me believe that the day Adobe does something that does not suck is the day they will start selling vacuum cleaners.

I know that this joke used to be made about Microsoft but AFAIC, Adobe has long taken away from Microsoft the honour of carrying the torch of the worst software company in the world.

Last edited by Class A; 12-20-2015 at 05:06 AM.