Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2015, 03:45 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Lightroom v6.2.1 has broken MSVC dll

Well Adobe has done it again.

LR is broken, won't even load throws the following error event in the application log:

Faulting application name: lightroom.exe, version: 6.2.1.10, time stamp: 0x561477b9
Faulting module name: MSVCR120.dll, version: 12.0.21005.1, time stamp: 0x524f83ff
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x0000000000074a30
Faulting process id: 0x16b0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d10b82b6559257
Faulting application path: D:\Program Files\AdobeLR6\Adobe Lightroom\lightroom.exe
Faulting module path: D:\Program Files\AdobeLR6\Adobe Lightroom\MSVCR120.dll
Report Id: e68864cf-4002-4584-8ab1-bead0f20b8e2

When I checked for updates this morning, the program just sat there. I uninstalled the entire thing (with the nagging Adobe manager with it) and reloaded the application. I have a Perpetual License (the one where no "new" features are provided for paid in full owners) used up a good hour to let the "update" occur. Still broken..

I am sort of ticked off, but my major PP package is Capture One nowadays so not too much impact on my "hobby".

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL

Last edited by PDL; 10-20-2015 at 11:48 PM. Reason: highlighted actions taken
10-20-2015, 06:23 PM   #2
Pentaxian

The ride never ends with Adobe.
They seem to get more sloppy with their software QC every day.
10-20-2015, 06:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Msvcr120.dll is a fouled up Microsoft file not an Adobe one... Just thought I'd mention that. Try updating that file or your C++ runtime on your computer

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 10-21-2015 at 04:28 AM.
10-20-2015, 07:06 PM   #4

Or load a system restore point from before the file got corrupted.

10-20-2015, 08:38 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If you look at that message, the Adobe version of Mscvr120.dll (check its file path) fell over because Lightroom did something incorrectly.
10-20-2015, 11:46 PM   #6
PDL
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
Mscvr120.dll is a fouled up Microsoft file not an Adobe one... Just thought I'd mention that. Try updating that file or your C++ runtime on your computer
AH, wrong. I unistalled Lightroom and reinstalled it. The DLL is from the latest install of Lightroom. Capture One uses the MSVC runtime also (part of its install) and that program runs just fine. Please re-read the event log details.

I edited the original message for clarity

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL.
10-21-2015, 05:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
If you look at that message, the Adobe version of Mscvr120.dll (check its file path) fell over because Lightroom did something incorrectly.
Oh I read the message and in my almost 40 years of dealing with computers and fault codes I am pretty darn confident if that were the case then it would be a global issue and every computer that installed that LR update containing that faulty msvcr dll file would be having a problem with it loading, which nothing major is being reported as such outside of this posted thread. So if your still of the mind the systems analyst's of Lightroom wrote something incorrectly then please logically explain why it's not happening with mine and thousands of other lightroom users who use the same application msvcr dll with their update.

Whether you or PDL choose to believe it or not the solution may lie within Windows files not Adobe ones, research that fault code. Laying blame solves nothing, taking action and advise for solutions does. If one installs and re-installs with the same problem and nothing regarding that error code is being reported then one needs to look elsewhere outside of the application such as the registry or possible windows files that need to be replaced or updated. Not all software run on the same windows versions.

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 10-21-2015 at 05:46 AM.
10-21-2015, 07:19 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh I read the message and in my almost 40 years of dealing with computers and fault codes I am pretty darn confident
Then you should know better!

He has already said Capture One works fine with its version of the same library.

The error code is unambiguous.

Let us hope Adobe's bug fixers don't adopt your 'blame something else' attitude.

10-21-2015, 08:32 AM   #9
PDL
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Oh I read the message and in my almost 40 years of dealing with computers and fault codes I am pretty darn confident if that were the case then it would be a global issue and every computer that installed that LR update containing that faulty msvcr dll file would be having a problem with it loading,
Well I see your 40 years with my 20+ years of being a MS user and Windows Server Admin for Fortune 50 Global corporations. I know how Windows works (I was on the NT Beta Team).

In fact I copied the dll out of the windows folder and into the Lightroom folder. Lightroom still fails. I have a response from the thread/bug report - they are "Looking into it".

If the issue is something that is peculiar to me or the other people reporting the same problem, I will report back.
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1976082

10-21-2015, 10:58 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Wow a whole 2 LR 6 users, which includes yours PDL, from Oct 11 to current after the update reporting a problem constitutes a major program flaw in yours and Clackers opinion I guess huh.. I still haven't read a logical explanation from either of you on why if it is a fouled up file from Adobe it isn't effecting more than a few isolated cases. Oh well I will continue to enjoy using the perfect working condition of mine along with all the other users who don't seem to have a LR mscvr120.dll problem after that update, good luck with yours.

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 10-21-2015 at 11:12 AM.
10-21-2015, 01:05 PM   #11

No problem with 6.2.1 on my windows 8.1 machine
10-21-2015, 06:00 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I still haven't read a logical explanation from either of you on why if it is a fouled up file from Adobe it isn't effecting more than a few isolated cases.

Because the configuration you, Headmj and I use, Oldbayrunner, must be different to those two.

None of us have identical setups. Is that hard to understand?

This release (6.2 and its CC equivalent, which I use) has been so bad, Adobe are for instance ditching the whole Import process and reverting. It's been a debacle.
10-21-2015, 06:32 PM   #13

I had to use lr5, since my 6 is now slow as molasses on my Macbook Air.
This happened last week.

Last edited by BATMON; 10-21-2015 at 07:17 PM.
10-21-2015, 07:07 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm having no problems but I'm still running CC 2015 1.1. I've heard about a lot of problems, not just here in PF. Macs are having more issues than Windows from what I'm hearing but I'll just keep waiting. No reason to update for me.
10-22-2015, 01:10 PM   #15
PDL
Pentaxian

Original Poster
So, just to add gasoline to this fire, I ran LR on my other computer Windows 10 Pro (you get two licenses, just don't run them at the same time?) on a much less powerful laptop. It ran just fine. same version etc.
The laptop is a 2008 Toshiba tablet PC with 6GB of memory and a pitiful Core 2 Duo 2.2GHz T7500 processor and a 160GB SSD. (I upgraded the drive and memory when going to Windows 8.0 x64).
My desktop is a iCore 7 with 24GB of RAM 120GB SSD system drive and two mirrored volumes of 1TB and 6TB of storage.

So I deleted Lightroom v6 off of the desktop (again) and I have deleted all instances of the MSVC runtimes. Strange, but Capture One v8.3.3 and Media Pro run just fine, thank you very much. I deleted all the adobe stuff using Revo Uninstaller which scours the registry pretty well (better than undelete). I then removed all the Adobe/Lightroom "stuff" from folders hidden away in the c:\users\<username>\appdata\local .. locallow .. roaming folders. (lots of left overs there, all the way back to Lightroom 4.0)

I will peruse the program data folder over the next day or so and possibly give reinstalling a chance, if it fails - I will continue to use LR on my old laptop because Capture One just will not run well on it (not enough screen real estate to display all the goodies and the performance would be glacial). So we will see what happens. I don't think Adobe will say/do/suggest anything about it. In my experience, ever since LR 5beta, their response to most little issues is to let the user community figure out what is going on. They (Like Phase One) are enamored by Apple anything, so if you are using Windows - you are "below them" as I see it.