Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2015, 07:39 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Massive slow downs and latency in recent Adobe CC builds

Is anyone else seeing a massive slow down and latency for editing in the recent builds of Lightroom and Photoshop? I'm talking bad... to the point where the cursor has about a 3-4 second latency from input to actual movement on screen.

I'm usually running just LR and PS when I'm editing, no other programs running and I close most background operations (like Steam, Itunes, etc.) to make sure I have full resources. My resource monitor is pining 80%+ most of the time however... which it shouldn't be.

System build is:
Intel 4790k 4.4ghz quad core i7 processor
32gb DDR3-1600 RAM
2 SSHD 128gb hard drives (one running OS and LR/PS, the other has current editing library)
Asus GTX760 Nivida graphics chip
water cooling
temps never go over 37 degrees C

Both hard drives have at least 40% free

running Windows 10.

10-26-2015, 07:50 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nope. Not noticing that at all. But I'm on a different platform...

Mac Mini (Early 2009) Mac OS X 10.11.1 El Capitan
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz
8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM
Boot Disk: 240 GB Patriot Pyro SSD (129 GB free)
Library Disk: 1.5 TB USB2 external (840 GB free)
NVIDIA GeForce 9400 256 MB shared RAM

Not exactly a speed burner machine...
10-26-2015, 08:38 AM   #3
Pentaxian

it is known to happen

Adobe Lightroom CC Update Has Critical Crash Bugs
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1823761
10-26-2015, 08:45 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
mines not crashing.

10-26-2015, 09:49 AM   #5
Pentaxian

If you are a heavy user, you could be wearing out one/both of your SSD drives, they lose sectors over time as many writes are made. But you'd probably see system-wide slowdown, not just in PS & LR, so that's a longshot. I'd double-check all your cache /scratch disk/memory allowance settings, etc
10-26-2015, 11:03 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
Is anyone else seeing a massive slow down and latency for editing in the recent builds of Lightroom and Photoshop? I'm talking bad... to the point where the cursor has about a 3-4 second latency from input to actual movement on screen.

I'm usually running just LR and PS when I'm editing, no other programs running and I close most background operations (like Steam, Itunes, etc.) to make sure I have full resources. My resource monitor is pining 80%+ most of the time however... which it shouldn't be.

System build is:
32gb DDR3-1600 RAM
2 SSHD 128gb hard drives (one running OS and LR/PS, the other has current editing library)
water cooling

running Windows 10.
You might check your preferences in LR regarding Performance. The "Use Graphics Processor" selection has caused many people significant issues.
10-26-2015, 01:53 PM   #7
Veteran Member

My resource monitor is pining 80%+ most of the time
Using the something like the built-in Win 10 Task Manager, what's the breakdown of your process usage? CPU? Memory? Disk?

Some background Windows processes (update, antimalware, search, Skydrive, backup etc) plus Google (esp Chrome apps) and Adobe background processes, can often go deeply into some task that bogs down the system for a while. Examine what is set to run at startup on your PC and disable what you don't need.

10-27-2015, 08:13 AM   #8
Pentaxian

System build is:
32gb DDR3-1600 RAM
water cooling

running Windows 10.
Lightroom is a notorious resource hog and has been slow for me for a while but my system is nearly 5 years old and nowhere near the specs of your build. I also have avoided the past 2 CC updates because of all the reported problems. I have some lag but nowhere near 3 seconds. My hard drive is nearly full and I have moved most of my library to my external drives. I'm running an Athlon X3 (ancient), 8 Gig's of DDR2 memory (also ancient). After editing around 50 or so shots in a session, I have to shut down LR and then restart and that cures the lag issue when it starts. Your system is pretty robust and shouldn't be having an issue like this unless something is really going wrong.
10-27-2015, 08:37 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Recent LR has become very heavy. I too am experiencing lag especially when I export. It's become a habit now to disallow LR to use all of my CPU cores and also to lower the process priority though Task Manager.
10-27-2015, 03:15 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Are the Adobe programs cloud based? Is your Internet slow all around?

Randy
10-27-2015, 03:34 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
Are the Adobe programs cloud based? Is your Internet slow all around?
Cloud-based doesn't mean they "run from the cloud" -- internet should have nothing to do with it...
02-22-2016, 06:11 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I'm running LR 5.7.1 (not CC) under Win 10 and it's very, very slow. I reckon it's slower than the older version under Win 7. I regularly get a dialogue box telling me LR isn't responding and asking if I want to close the program or wait. I wait and eventually it starts again.

It's a new PC (well, Nov 2015) , quad core I7 processor, SSD Hybrid plus several other drives for storage of pix, 8GB RAM. All new drives (including the SSD Hybrid).

Win 10 Professional 64-bit

Last edited by p38arover; 02-22-2016 at 06:27 PM.
02-22-2016, 06:14 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
I'm running LR 5.7.1 (not CC) under Win 10 and it's very, very slow. I reckon it's slower than the older version under Win 7
So do I. (And ran it previously under Win7). Mine runs the same as always -- there must be something screwy in your config or your hard drive setup. (Also make sure you are defragging your drive once in a while if it isn't a solid state.) Have you rebuilt/optimized catalog, etc?
02-22-2016, 07:46 PM   #14
Veteran Member

quad core I7 processor, SSD Hybrid plus several other drives for storage
I have LR 6 on two oldish PC's, and v6 runs OK.

Perhaps have a look into how your drives are configured. On my primary PC, I split what LR does over a few drives: the LR catalog lives on a SSD, as does the LR previews database (which always ends up with MILLIONS of files and folders in it); the program itself lives on the Windows system HDD; and exports go to a third internal HDD. Backups go to a 4th external USB 3 drive. Plus I usually get LR to check and optimise the catalog every time I exit.

If USB external drives are in your system, somethimes they can cause mysterious slowdowns and lockups across the system. One of my W10 PC's has a portable port-powered USB3 drive attached and it caused all sorts of PC startup and other delays until I figured out what was going on - it was often simply too slow to spin up. USB 3 drives with their own power-supply never had that issue, so it took me a while to track the problem down.

Sysinternals tools like Process Explorer, autoruns and TCPView can be useful in seeing what's contributing to system slowdowns.
03-24-2016, 03:36 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I'm running LR 5.7.1 (not CC) under Win 10 and it's very, very slow. I reckon it's slower than the older version under Win 7. I regularly get a dialogue box telling me LR isn't responding and asking if I want to close the program or wait. I wait and eventually it starts again.

It's a new PC (well, Nov 2015) , quad core I7 processor, SSD Hybrid plus several other drives for storage of pix, 8GB RAM. All new drives (including the SSD Hybrid).

Win 10 Professional 64-bit
8G of ram isn't nearly enough. Put I'm as much ram as your motherboard can handle.
I am running 32G with separate ssd drives for photoshop scratch disk and one for windows virtual memory. Seldom get any problems

Randy