Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2015, 07:05 AM   #1

Pentax K30 and DCU 5.3.1

I bought a K30 in march 2014 to upgrade my 10 years old Idt-DS, and several lenses since.

I was worried because the K30 did not come with Pentax Camera Utility, but only with Silkypix developer studio, a now obsolete software because it is not updated any more and thus doesnt provide support for recent Pentax Lenses, such as the HD DA 21 mm f3.2 limited which I bought in spring this year.

I tried to download Pentax DCU, but it would not install, requesting the presence of a previous Pentax DCU software.

Then, after looking around many forums, I found a post by blende8 in the Photography Articles Forum of PentaxForums, explaining that the installer's denial could be overrun by inserting a CD labeled S-SW140 in the computer before launching the software installer. The CD can contain any other data or none, it is just the volume name which is important.

I did it and it worked fine.

I started this new thread with K30 and DCU in the title because I think this tip will be useful to many other K30 or older Pentax cameras owners who want a better support for their lenses, especially the newest ones, and the thread in which blende8 had posted the tip was not about DCU 5.3.1, thus not easy to find for other users with only the keyword DCU 5.3.1.

I tried first to post it in the Photography Articles Forum, but I was answered that this forum didnt accept new posts, thus I submit it here.
Thanks to administrators to move it in a better place if possible.

I will also answer blende8 's post in case it may help.

10-31-2015, 08:56 AM   #2
Forum Member

Notice that you have two alternative to an emty CD labeled S-SW140. A memory card labeled S-SW140 or a silent installation.

In Windows you have to open the CD by Explorer. Inside you will find two folders. Shift + right click the folder named "BIN" and choose "Open Command Window Here".

Inside "BIN" you will find two programs; setup32.exe and setup64.exe. (If you are sure which one to choose for your system, then it's just to write in the command window (and press >Enter):

>setupXX.exe /s

Replace XX with right number for your system. In this way it's not neccessary with an emty CD or Memory Card with the right label. You will make a standard/default installation.

Simple and rapid....

Last edited by Dabola; 10-31-2015 at 09:07 AM.
10-31-2015, 12:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Try also the full version "Silkypix 6 pro" for 30 days free at SILKYPIX RAW Conversion and Photo Correction Software for Photographers
upgrade; Mirye Software
Or if you are European Silkypix Download | Silkypix
Upgrade from Pentax Camera Utility; Silkypix Upgrade | Silkypix