Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2015, 03:15 PM   #1

Histograms, learning resource?

Am relatively new to digital cameras and apart from functions like Crop and Tilt have not used, yet, any decent PP software (apart from a few failed attempts with DSS for my night sky pics)

Thing is though i note the camera provides histogram data but have no idea what it is and therefore how to interpret it to improve my pic's

Can tge oanel recommend any good resource to gain an initial understanding as a lot of what i have seen is too technical for an old dog like me

TIA

11-04-2015, 03:45 PM   #2
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Here are a few places to start:

First from the UK
Understanding Digital Camera Histograms: Tones and Contrast
Understanding Digital Camera Histograms: Luminosity and Color

From the US:
https://luminous-landscape.com/understanding-histograms

From Australia
Understanding Histograms - Digital Photography School
How to Read and Use Histograms - Digital Photography School

From somewhere:
https://photographylife.com/understanding-histograms-in-photography
Digital Photography Tutorial: Histogram - Photoxels

and on and on and on. Bingle is your friend here. Type in digital photography histograms and you will get millions of hits off of your favorite search engine.

In essence a histogram displays how your cameras JPEG engine detects the spread of light across the exposure. The thing you look for is "clipping" where the values displayed are packed up along either the far right, the far left or both. In an ideal world the histogram would show an even distribution of values - but shooting grey cards gets really boring after a while The real world has loads of variation and the histogram is but one tool to assist in its control. And for heavens sake shoot RAW - the more data you have to work with, the greater control you have over the end product.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
11-04-2015, 04:10 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by delboy65 Quote
Am relatively new to digital cameras and apart from functions like Crop and Tilt have not used, yet, any decent PP software (apart from a few failed attempts with DSS for my night sky pics)

Thing is though i note the camera provides histogram data but have no idea what it is and therefore how to interpret it to improve my pic's

Can tge oanel recommend any good resource to gain an initial understanding as a lot of what i have seen is too technical for an old dog like me

TIA
A pentax-specific article:
Using the Histogram to Get Better Photos - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: