Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
11-05-2015, 04:00 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What RAW file format do you use?

I have owned the K3 and the K3II. When shooting RAW, each camera offers two different RAW file formats that you can use - DNG and PEF.

Which RAW format do you prefer and why?

Also, if these two file formats are also offered on the new Pentax full frame camera, which file format do you believe would be best for full frame images?

Thanks,

11-05-2015, 04:03 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
DNG because it's a widely supported standard and there seems to be no benefit to PEF.
11-05-2015, 04:08 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DNG
I really see no reason to use PEF over DNG but there are reasons to use DNG over PEF.
11-05-2015, 04:18 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Which RAW format do you prefer and why?

Here are some of the previous threads about it.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/38-photographic-technique/291750-raw-files.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/280256-pef-vs-dng-lr-k3.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/302784-pef-vs-dng.html

11-05-2015, 04:26 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks much for the great advice, and SpecialK for the links!

Dave

---------- Post added 11-05-15 at 05:34 PM ----------

If DNG is better, I wonder why Pentax even bothers to continue to produce cameras that also make PEF format RAW files?

I hate proprietary RAW formats. I have many old proprietary RAW image files from Canon, Fuji, and Nikon. Often it's a real challenge for me to determine which of my many image editing softwares I should use to open them.

To further complicate things, I have old Fuji RAW files that are of a totally different format than are my new Fuji RAW files.
11-05-2015, 04:45 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have to use Adobe dng converter to get my samsung NX RAW pics into lightroom 3. Inconvenient but it works and its free.
11-05-2015, 05:10 PM   #7
KDD
Veteran Member

DNG or PEF but you need to chose RGB or AdobeRGB!!!!

11-05-2015, 05:59 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Pentax PEF used to be smaller than DNG. Now they use lossless DNG compression so the sizes are similar.
11-05-2015, 08:35 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

DNG no reason to use PEF also adobe RGB
11-05-2015, 09:46 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use PEF for no good reason whatsoever except that it is Pentax's format.
11-05-2015, 09:55 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I use DNG, because dont generate the extra file (sidecar), and when i copy the DNG and open in another PC or Laptop they keep all changes if a forgot the extra file.

Also sRGB, my screen cover ~90%sRGB and like 80%AdobeRGB so i got with the better coverage
11-05-2015, 11:45 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by virusn3t Quote
I use DNG, because dont generate the extra file (sidecar), and when i copy the DNG and open in another PC or Laptop they keep all changes if a forgot the extra file.

Also sRGB, my screen cover ~90%sRGB and like 80%AdobeRGB so i got with the better coverage
I really don't have a very good understanding of the difference between SRGB and Adobe RGB. Some say one is better then the other one. I'd sure like to hear from various folks on which RGB format they prefer...
11-06-2015, 12:55 AM   #13
Pentaxian

In general its better to take AdobeRGB as it has a wider color gamut - working for a printing company - for printing look out what the Print company is using... sRGB is more universally accepted and machines, printer & presses most of the time can not reproduce the color gamut of AdobeRGB then your better off with sRGB (most printer can not even reproduce the color gamut of sRGB) as you can do the conversation and not the manufacturer to see what you get...
AdobeRGB is better for reds and especially greens and the gradients...
For printing you use normally CMYK or CMYKXY, X can be e.g. lighter cyan, green; Y can be light magenta or red dependent on the process.

https://fstoppers.com/pictures/adobergb-vs-srgb-3167
Attached Images

11-06-2015, 02:52 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KDD Quote
DNG or PEF but you need to chose RGB or AdobeRGB!!!!
Adobe RGB produces a more robust color pallet.
11-06-2015, 04:53 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I use the pef format. I found no way to get the same metainformation using DNG. I'm shure that the pixelinformation will be the same.
I took a pef and a dng immediately one after the other with an K3 (there will be small differences because of the two pictures), the Metainformation weren't comparable. I took the Dng-converter from pef to dng, the results were not comparable to the pef or the other dng. It is true that a lot of obvious information are the same, but what about the Rest?

Using Adobe or aRGB. What information provides pentax within its RAW-File 14 Bit for the thre colors are you shure that the pixelinformation exceeds the sRGB. It is quite rigth that Adobe RGB ist quite bigger, but you need the possibility to fill in. In my opinion the raw files simply deliver 14 bit on the thre channels and the raw converter decides how to convert this to colors. There is no need for choosing the color space - except for jpg - but will this help within 3*8 Bit.