Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-04-2015, 02:46 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
good to know.

12-06-2015, 06:55 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paolotrabuio Quote
I use RawTherapee on Linux Mint 17.2 64bit and I found it more complete (and less memory eater) than Darktable. have a look, maybe you will like it.
About modification, just learn how to use The Gimp and you will forget Windows. You can also use linux for camera firmware update. Just cannot use the windows program (or in case, if you really need , even I cannot imagine for what, just use "wine" for windows program using).
I
Oh, I have only Linux (Mint is my favorite) since 2009.

Agree 100%!! Linus Mint , Raw Therapee, Dark table and Gimp are all I use.. I run Linux on my desktops and labtops. The only thing I can't do that I would like to do is watch Netflix, but oh well. I've used LInux for years and tried many Distro's.. Mint has been my standard for years. I just like the way it works.

Pentax and LInux are very similar.....very similar in many ways. If you guys using both Pentax and Linux are out there reading this, You probably know what I mean.

al
12-30-2015, 06:47 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Just a hello all Linux fans.

The more I use Darktable, the more I love it.

I previous would use take a DNG, into Ufraw, then into Gimp. Darktable really takes a lot of time out of this. When happy with a Jpeg, I would resize it to various resolutions, darktable saves a great deal of time :P

I confess I strongly disliked the interface, but it's manageable. Oh to save your hair... set all the tools you regularly use into the favs menu, then you will not be digging through those menus every again

Sorry long story short, if you haven't used darktable. give it a go.
12-31-2015, 04:25 PM - 1 Like   #19

DarkTable V2 has been released - darktable 2.0 released | darktable

12-31-2015, 09:34 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Ahhhhh i wish you hadn't said anything..

Slackware 14.1 - Slackware Current here I come

or a;

yum update all
apt-get upgrade all

If that's your language :P

Last edited by tromboads; 12-31-2015 at 09:50 PM.
01-01-2016, 05:19 AM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

Just wanted to add a few more options for different tastes:

digikam (if you want to have a good overview of your photo collection and don't need much PP)
Geeqie (good image viewer)
argyll (screen calibration)
Rapid Photo Downloader (very useful!)
hugin - also to create lens correction profiles that can be used in other programs.

I am using Linux for approx. 4 years now - no regrets.
01-01-2016, 08:48 AM   #22
Forum Member

I use Digikam for cataloguing, browsing and batch resizing of photos for web display. It is excellent and the right.click menu allows me to send a batch of photos to Gimp for editing.

From those who have only seen Gimp on Windows, it was designed and written for Linux and works better on Linux than on Windows.

Last edited by john.margetts; 01-01-2016 at 12:29 PM.