Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-16-2015, 01:49 PM   #1

Linux and pentax

Hello
I'm going to build a Linux system for Ubuntu studio blender 3D gimp Inkscape darktable etc and I'm wondering if Pentax camera are compatible with Linux system?
Anything I should know?
Thanks

11-16-2015, 01:55 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, fully compatible for the programs you mentioned. Make sure you have as much RAM in your system as you can afford. Post-processing photos can be hugely memory-intensive.
11-16-2015, 01:56 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Compatible how? I don't understand why it would make any difference??

As long as the software you want to use can read standard image formats, jpg or DNG or PEF then the only other issue is getting the images onto the computer. So your hardware needs to support either a SD card reader or a USB external drive. I'm sure none of that would be an issue for any flavor of Linux I have ever looked at.

If you are concerned about something else perhaps a little more detail would help give you a good answer.
11-16-2015, 01:57 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by naldopr Quote
Hello
I'm going to build a Linux system for Ubuntu studio blender 3D gimp Inkscape darktable etc and I'm wondering if Pentax camera are compatible with Linux system?
Anything I should know?
Thanks
What do you mean by compatible? If you're referring to USB connectivity for file transfers, that should work just fine. Darktable should also be able to open .DNGs, though it might take you a bit longer to figure out the optimal color settings than with commercial software or the Pentax DCU.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-16-2015, 02:42 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
I use the FEDORA 23 distribution. Using Wine to run Faststone. The facts of life are that photo utilities from mainstream supplies may only be available in Windows. I can live with the limitations. One thing I always do is allow the camera to format the memory card. Linux will detect the format and use the correct filing system.
11-16-2015, 04:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

yes I've just re discovered darktable, ot really is pretty good.

Make sure your version is enabled to use your graphics card, some were by default not. but I confess it was 6months ago when I installed it
11-16-2015, 04:34 PM - 1 Like   #7

I use RawTherapee on Linux Mint 17.2 64bit and I found it more complete (and less memory eater) than Darktable. have a look, maybe you will like it.
About modification, just learn how to use The Gimp and you will forget Windows. You can also use linux for camera firmware update. Just cannot use the windows program (or in case, if you really need , even I cannot imagine for what, just use "wine" for windows program using).

Oh, I have only Linux (Mint is my favorite) since 2009.

11-16-2015, 05:08 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

+1 on Darktable. Works well on my Kubuntu.
Don't use Gimp as much as I used to, because a lot of what I need to do is available in Darktable.
11-16-2015, 07:40 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paolotrabuio Quote
I use RawTherapee on Linux Mint 17.2 64bit and I found it more complete (and less memory eater) than Darktable. have a look, maybe you will like it.
About modification, just learn how to use The Gimp and you will forget Windows. You can also use linux for camera firmware update. Just cannot use the windows program (or in case, if you really need , even I cannot imagine for what, just use "wine" for windows program using).

Oh, I have only Linux (Mint is my favorite) since 2009.
Thanks to all
I will look info Raw therapee
Im a mac user my G5 just die on me and since I see folks building massive pc system on Linux and way cheaper than a Mac I want to build one my self .
What are your system spec? Any suggestion on a good configuration?
11-17-2015, 02:45 AM   #10
Veteran Member

As others have said, as much m as you can afford is a good start.

Heck my machine I use is ancient, 16g ddr3, 3g Intel quad core, some geforce something or other.

Plenty good enough for 16mp raw files.

Last edited by tromboads; 11-17-2015 at 02:04 PM.
11-17-2015, 05:16 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a 5 year old Dell with an i3 processor, 6GB of RAM and integrated intel graphics, and it's enough horsepower for me as a hobbyist. It was Dell's entry level box when I bought it, I just stuck some extra RAM in. (I use darktable and gimp.) You can get good deals on well-spec'd off lease business-class desktop machines with better specs than mine for only a few hundred. A little hardware goes a long way with Linux.

From what I understand darktable can offload some of it's processing to the video card (GPU) if it has OpenGL support. That might be a worthy upgrade if you find the photo processing too slow. Stick with NVIDIA for best compatibility. I'm going from memory though, so check into that before you buy.

If you want a new machine, make sure you stay mainstream and do your research via google to see if there are any hardware incompatibilities with Linux. It takes some time for new hardware support to make it into the kernel and then float down into the current releases of most distros.
11-17-2015, 02:04 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Yes but if you aren't using bleeding edge stuff, you'll be ok
11-17-2015, 11:08 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It isn't OpenGL that offloads some of the graphics processing onto the graphis card, it is opencl. Both AMD and Nvidia graphics cards support opencl. Oh, and yes, always format your SD card in the camera, not in your PC
11-20-2015, 06:14 AM   #14

Original Poster
Thanks guys I will start looking for all the components I need
12-04-2015, 01:03 AM   #15

darktable 2.0 (in release candidate, comes out soon) is awesome. If you calibrate your camera/monitor, it also knows how to deal with additional ICC profiles.