Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-24-2015, 05:35 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Corel Paintshop Pro X8 Ultimate

Anyone using it and how intuitive is it? I'm looking something fairly straight forward for raw processing, perhaps some photo enhancement. The package is now on sale for $39.95. What are the pros and con?

11-24-2015, 06:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I used PSP for quite a few years before I went with the Adobe CC subscription. Worked pretty well for me although it doesn't integrate very well with Lightroom. I wouldn't say I was a serious user of the tool, as LR handled most of the work I needed.
11-24-2015, 07:35 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
corel has a raw file handler program, check out their site for sales this week. i think the program is called aftershot.
paintshop pro is for hard core photoediting. corel makes good software
11-24-2015, 11:52 PM   #4
Pentaxian

If you are looking for something for RAW processing, don't get PSP X8. I find it for raw processing extremely limited. They do have a pretty good raw processor though, Aftershot pro2.

But for editing photo's it is a very good program. If you are used to photoshop, you will have a small learning curve, but it is pretty straightforward. Personally I use LR for RAW editing. And only go to PSP if I want to work with layers. So for the price, you can't really go wrong (unless you want PSP for raw editing)

11-25-2015, 05:01 AM   #5
Pentaxian

The "Ultimate" package includes AfterShot 2 - how this differs from AfterShot Pro 2 I haven't yet figured out, but if it is essentially the same then the package is a steal at that price.

I'm considering it too, but over here in Dear Old England the price is exactly that - Dear!
11-25-2015, 06:43 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks all for your input. I'm not into heavy pp, just looking for a good basic package for raw processing, plus noise reduction and sharpening,

QuoteOriginally posted by LennyBloke Quote
The "Ultimate" package includes AfterShot 2 - how this differs from AfterShot Pro 2 I haven't yet figured out, but if it is essentially the same then the package is a steal at that price.

I'm considering it too, but over here in Dear Old England the price is exactly that - Dear!

Attached is a pdf compairing Aftershot Pro 2 versus Aftershot 2. Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf aftershot2-comparison.pdf (1.04 MB, 247 views)
11-25-2015, 12:02 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LennyBloke Quote

What I have always done (in holland). Go to the corel site, set your location as the US, and you can purchase it for the US prices.

11-25-2015, 01:18 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
What I have always done (in holland). Go to the corel site, set your location as the US, and you can purchase it for the US prices.
Sneaky but smart.
11-26-2015, 11:23 AM   #9

Photos: Albums
I have PSP X8. I recently upgraded from X7.

I like having AfterShot with X8. It wasn't included with X7.
I am not the most experienced user and am not a Pro photographer. For the price, it more than meets my requirements.

Here are the Pros and Cons as I see them.
Pro
- Price, although not free it is still low ąŁ80.00 new and ąŁ50.00 upgrade. Much lower than Photoshop ąŁ400.00
- Once you know your way around PSP you can adapt concepts from some Photoshop tutorials.
- Support for a wide variety of cameras, including .PEF
- PSP X8 includes AfterShot 2 for RAW development.

Con
- Native PSP tutorials are hard to find, and may be for an older version.
- Can't do everything that Photoshop can do, but does loads for the price.
12-01-2015, 02:22 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

Thanks for the X8 advice

Thanks for all the suggestions on pricing and the AfterShot comparison

I finally picked up X8 Ultimate (as a Black Friday deal) and installed it last night. First couple of things I noticed were how good it is with AfterShot to not have to import everything into a catalog (just browse the file system), and secondly how quick X8 appears (64bit). The integration with Perfectly Clear (part of the "Ultimate" package) is also a nice little touch - as it seems to be a pretty good assessor of what to change.

Like many (I suspect) I've got quite used to LightRoom, but this bundle may just be a clearer way for me to catalog and process
02-23-2016, 10:07 AM   #11

Hi LennyBloke, after reading this, I am wondering how your experience with this is after the last few months? I see Paintshop Pro "ultimate" version now has "Aftershot" which from the sounds of it must be a "LightRoom" competitor. Is it pretty good?

I've been using mostly open source stuff, but text handling for "fun" projects in GIMP is not easy or worth the effort. Plus, most open source does not scale well on a 4k monitor (which my laptop is).

Also, would PaintShop pro happen to be able to composite images together through an HDR kind of function?
02-23-2016, 11:04 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kjg48359 Quote
Also, would PaintShop pro happen to be able to composite images together through an HDR kind of function?
I use PSP X4 and it has an HDR function. I really haven't used it to determine how good it is. I have done a ton of composite images using layers. Here are a couple of examples.

Each puppy in this shot was a separate image.

Tim
02-23-2016, 11:16 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
Each puppy in this shot was a separate image.
You are my master! Awesome! :-)