Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2015, 03:24 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Slide shows and photos in portrait orientation

Slide shows are generally made for landscape orientation. Some slide show generators cut off the top and bottom of a portrait image, some resize correctly to make the long edge fit, but the result is then a small sized image because one uses the short edge of the display for the long edge of the image.
I would prefer to show a portrait image as a slowly moving image, bottom-to-top or top-to-bottom. Maybe the transition mode of a slide show can do this. The drawback is that there will be no still image, but one can use the maximum widht of the display and let the portrait image drift slowly over the display. Landscape images can be treated in the usual way.
Does anyone know a slide show generator that can handle this? I'm not interested in fancy transitions for the landscape images, simple shifting or fading is good enough. But it should be possible to define a different transition for landscape and portrait images, and the transition for portrait images should be as described above.

11-27-2015, 12:11 AM   #2
UMC

QuoteOriginally posted by HanSch Quote
Slide shows are generally made for landscape orientation. Some slide show generators cut off the top and bottom of a portrait image, some resize correctly to make the long edge fit, but the result is then a small sized image because one uses the short edge of the display for the long edge of the image.
I would prefer to show a portrait image as a slowly moving image, bottom-to-top or top-to-bottom. Maybe the transition mode of a slide show can do this. The drawback is that there will be no still image, but one can use the maximum widht of the display and let the portrait image drift slowly over the display. Landscape images can be treated in the usual way.
Does anyone know a slide show generator that can handle this? I'm not interested in fancy transitions for the landscape images, simple shifting or fading is good enough. But it should be possible to define a different transition for landscape and portrait images, and the transition for portrait images should be as described above.
After a long road with many attempts my wife and me ended here: Slideshow software since 15 years | AquaSoft
This application has 2 main strengths: Perfect Ken-Burns-effect (i.e. moving the image along a defined path) and perfect audio trimming capabillities. The program is not really cheap, but it is worth the money.
11-27-2015, 08:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

If you have a mac, iMovie can do this. I've never used it, but it's the software that was used at my local camera club to make the slideshows (hrm, unless it was iPhoto, it was one of the default "iThingies").

Frankly, I hated the effect. It makes me feel like I'm in an art gallery and some jerk is following me around and holding up a black piece of poster board in front of everything I tried to look at to partially obstruct my view so I'm never able to take in a piece in it's entirety. Actually it's worse, I could punch that guy with the poster board, but I haven't figured out how to punch this "ken burns effect". I would rather have my portrait orientation images shown at a smaller size than have them seen in pieces, but that may have just been me.
11-28-2015, 02:52 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
If you have a mac, iMovie can do this. I've never used it, but it's the software that was used at my local camera club to make the slideshows (hrm, unless it was iPhoto, it was one of the default "iThingies").

Frankly, I hated the effect. It makes me feel like I'm in an art gallery and some jerk is following me around and holding up a black piece of poster board in front of everything I tried to look at to partially obstruct my view so I'm never able to take in a piece in it's entirety. Actually it's worse, I could punch that guy with the poster board, but I haven't figured out how to punch this "ken burns effect". I would rather have my portrait orientation images shown at a smaller size than have them seen in pieces, but that may have just been me.
Unfortunately: no Mac, but Windows.
I can understand your position w.r.t. the moving image. But I don't like the small representation either. It is the main reason that I don't invest in a high quality projector. The memories of good slide projectors haven't died yet.

---------- Post added Nov 28th, 2015 at 10:53 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UMC Quote
After a long road with many attempts my wife and me ended here: Slideshow software since 15 years | AquaSoft
This application has 2 main strengths: Perfect Ken-Burns-effect (i.e. moving the image along a defined path) and perfect audio trimming capabillities. The program is not really cheap, but it is worth the money.
Thanks, I'll have a look.