Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-06-2015, 05:59 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Capture One Pro 9

Capture One Pro 9 is available now. Already any experiences?

I'd like to know if besides the official functional enhancements there are some Pentax camera related improvements like better vendor specific meta data support and pentax lens support. Thanks for your replies!

12-06-2015, 06:24 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am at the verge of buying Capture One and also curious about Pentax centric improvements!
12-06-2015, 08:40 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use Capture One 9 with my Sony files (the Sony Pro version is only $40 because they made a deal with Sony) and like it a lot but I have no experience with the full version which would be needed for Pentax. It seems to me that C1 has been very slow updating to new Pentax models. Do I remember that correctly?
12-06-2015, 09:32 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I upgraded from v8 to v9 a few days ago on my 2011 iMac. My computer is pretty "old" and lacks a lot of modern accelerated hardware so I can't comment on responsiveness and performance. I don't notice any lag when doing normal processing. Dragging the sliders back and forth with the mouse as fast as you can give reasonable jerky performance. C1 tries to keep up and I'm sure if I had a modern GPU and faster processor I would get smooth animated performance. Then again, who slams sliders back and forth except for stress testing?

The image processing algorithms are excellent! Colors can be made to look natural, bold, punch, subdued, or anything in between. v9 has an updated image processing engine that allows for stronger slider settings without destroying colors, hue, and saturation. I think this improvement will be noticed in "tough shots" where exposure was missed for some reason. Most people will agree that color, contrast, and saturation processing is their speciality. One weakness I am frustrated with is the strength of their highlight recovery function. I end up having to create a layer, completely masked, just for additional highlight recovery. It's an inconvenience and it's only something I do every so often. I consider it a small compromise in the grand scheme of things.

Going back to the color processing, I think their color editing is superb! You can pick a color by clicking anywhere on the image and that selects spectrum of color - not just the lone color itself. The size of spectrum is not necessarily centered around the main color and the size of the spectrum can be adjusted. Even cooler is being able to create a mask based on the selected color. For example, I can click on a person's face to select their skin color and create a mask of everything that is that color (i.e. hands, neck, legs, etc). Now I can manipulate that color as if it were its own image and use tools like exposure correction, highlight/shadow recovery, contrast, etc. This could have been done manually before but I would have had to draw the mask by hand. Now it's just a click. Love it!

The Pentax support leans closer to the weak side when compared to other camera makes and models. While the image processing engine has profiles for nearly every Pentax body, the list of lens profiles supported is short. You can create your own easily enough to accommodate for things like barrel distortion and fringing. It's not hard but it's not there by default. The meta data support is also kind of weak. It's not that C1 can't do it. They just don't for Pentax. You can get the basic stuff like shutter speed, aperture, exposure program mode but I don't see things like lens name, serial number, etc. Personally, that's not too important to me but it may be for others. In general, their DAM is weak compared to the powerhouse Apple had in Aperture.

You can try C1 for 30 days for free. They offer a lot of YouTube video tutorials to help you get started. It takes a little time to learn it but once learned I think it's a very easy environment to navigate.

12-06-2015, 09:42 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks guy's!
12-06-2015, 10:18 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for all your comments!

I seem to have a similar history as you, 6BQ5. I was an Aperture 3 (A3) guy since it hit the market. As nothing went forward with A3 I stepped over to Capture One Pro 7 and then Pro 8. I think Pro 8 should have been Pro 7. It was a big step in stability (Mac version) and speed. With Pro 8 I was really happy. Great raw engine and tools in my opinion.

Now there's Pro 9 ... and after I looked at some videos I couldn't wait your replies and updated a few minutes ago . Sorry for that.

First trial shows me that there seem to be no Pentax specific improvements. Pentax specific metadata like used lens for an image aren't shown and the list of supported Pentax lenses is the same as in Pro 8. But I like some of the new functionality.

The video I looked at showed a keyword for a 10% rebate at the end. If someone is interested - here's the link to the interesting german video (hope it's allowed to give you this info within a post):

---------- Post added 2015-12-06 at 18:35 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
One weakness I am frustrated with is the strength of their highlight recovery function. I end up having to create a layer, completely masked, just for additional highlight recovery. It's an inconvenience and it's only something I do every so often.
I don't feel this restriction. I see two different approaches to get rid of this problem: 1) Levels Tool: drag the upper right corner point to the left. 2) Curve Tool: drag the upper right corner point down. These tools compress the whole dynamic range a little bit. You have to decide when to stop dragging and how much you want to recover by using the recovery tool. The recovery tool applies only to the highlights and therefore lets you work out the highlights specifically. Maybe you like to try it that way?

Last edited by acoufap; 12-06-2015 at 10:37 AM.
12-06-2015, 03:29 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
great reply

I am also a loyal fan of C1. I was using Sony body with Pentax lenses with C17, C18.. However, C1 7~8 suffers from a bug introduced by Apple when I upgraded my old 2010 imac to OSX El Capitan. The hardware acceleration driver just doesn't work with customized GUI engine of C1. C1 provided a solution to bypass the hardware acceleration, but it hammered the performance once for all. So far, I am scared to upgrade to C19 for now. C1 has excellent color algorithms, but they know so little about OSX platform makes a loyal user like me mad! I also don't see much of image quality improvement from C1 7 ~ 8 anyway. I don't believe 9 would be anything miles ahead either.

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I upgraded from v8 to v9 a few days ago on my 2011 iMac. My computer is pretty "old" and lacks a lot of modern accelerated hardware so I can't comment on responsiveness and performance. I don't notice any lag when doing normal processing. Dragging the sliders back and forth with the mouse as fast as you can give reasonable jerky performance. C1 tries to keep up and I'm sure if I had a modern GPU and faster processor I would get smooth animated performance. Then again, who slams sliders back and forth except for stress testing?

The image processing algorithms are excellent! Colors can be made to look natural, bold, punch, subdued, or anything in between. v9 has an updated image processing engine that allows for stronger slider settings without destroying colors, hue, and saturation. I think this improvement will be noticed in "tough shots" where exposure was missed for some reason. Most people will agree that color, contrast, and saturation processing is their speciality. One weakness I am frustrated with is the strength of their highlight recovery function. I end up having to create a layer, completely masked, just for additional highlight recovery. It's an inconvenience and it's only something I do every so often. I consider it a small compromise in the grand scheme of things.

Going back to the color processing, I think their color editing is superb! You can pick a color by clicking anywhere on the image and that selects spectrum of color - not just the lone color itself. The size of spectrum is not necessarily centered around the main color and the size of the spectrum can be adjusted. Even cooler is being able to create a mask based on the selected color. For example, I can click on a person's face to select their skin color and create a mask of everything that is that color (i.e. hands, neck, legs, etc). Now I can manipulate that color as if it were its own image and use tools like exposure correction, highlight/shadow recovery, contrast, etc. This could have been done manually before but I would have had to draw the mask by hand. Now it's just a click. Love it!

The Pentax support leans closer to the weak side when compared to other camera makes and models. While the image processing engine has profiles for nearly every Pentax body, the list of lens profiles supported is short. You can create your own easily enough to accommodate for things like barrel distortion and fringing. It's not hard but it's not there by default. The meta data support is also kind of weak. It's not that C1 can't do it. They just don't for Pentax. You can get the basic stuff like shutter speed, aperture, exposure program mode but I don't see things like lens name, serial number, etc. Personally, that's not too important to me but it may be for others. In general, their DAM is weak compared to the powerhouse Apple had in Aperture.

You can try C1 for 30 days for free. They offer a lot of YouTube video tutorials to help you get started. It takes a little time to learn it but once learned I think it's a very easy environment to navigate.

12-07-2015, 11:43 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I used v7 on the Mac; I liked it better than Apple's RAW out of the box. Of course with any RAW processor you can pretty much achieve any result with the proper manual adjustments and saving those as presets, but it was nice to have something do such a good job out of the box. When v8 came out I passed on the upgrade and went to DxO instead. More lens support, and better results, for me. And I now use Lr for all the organization.

But I was never enamored of the application's photo organization; it stunk IMHO, realizing this is very subjective. Keywording eg was horrible. I've seen that this has improved in v9, but not enough to bring me back (at least it does hierarchical, but not non-exporting keywords and other stuff that Lr has had forever). If it was offered more cheaply just for some of the adjustments, like a plugin, I'd go for it, but as an Aperture or Lr replacement I don't miss it.
12-11-2015, 05:53 PM   #9

I have been using c8 for about 3 months. The first month it didn't support k3ii raw.
They now want another $99 to update if purchased after oct 30. They even let c7 update for the same price. They would not give me an update even though I bought it sept 24 & it took -month to get k3ii support. Also the OpenGL crashed the program & it would restart & crash again.they finally did a script that reset the settings so it would start. An update seemed to help. C8 severely lacked support for most of the Pentax lenses. Also I have never gotten any response from tech support for the bugs I had reported. I had hoped c9 would rectify that, but still has the same limited set. So I'm not wiling to dump another $99 on top of the $299 I just spend for marginal improvements & very poor Pentax lenses support.

It may work for you, but I'm not inclined to recommend a company that treats its customers this way. I don't have time to beta test their software.
12-12-2015, 09:26 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tico Quote
I have been using c8 for about 3 months. The first month it didn't support k3ii raw.
They now want another $99 to update if purchased after oct 30. They even let c7 update for the same price. They would not give me an update even though I bought it sept 24 & it took -month to get k3ii support. Also the OpenGL crashed the program & it would restart & crash again.they finally did a script that reset the settings so it would start. An update seemed to help. C8 severely lacked support for most of the Pentax lenses. Also I have never gotten any response from tech support for the bugs I had reported. I had hoped c9 would rectify that, but still has the same limited set. So I'm not wiling to dump another $99 on top of the $299 I just spend for marginal improvements & very poor Pentax lenses support.

It may work for you, but I'm not inclined to recommend a company that treats its customers this way. I don't have time to beta test their software.
Yeah, I had a somewhat similar experience when I bought C1Express, which they discontinued not too long after I bought it. Given the needs for upgrades (and to their credit they are doing major ones almost yearly) the cost is about as much as both Lr and Ps. I switched to DxO's plugins instead, and have been extremely happy with that. Great customer support, and lens corrections for most of my lenses. I had complained about the DA-Ls not being recognized, but OTOH they recognize the Samyang 16 and other lenses that I can't get Adobe profiles for, and that's really use on the wide end.