Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
12-15-2015, 07:48 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's another strange-looking daughter. First applied "paint daubs" then applied "ink outlines."

Last edited by WPRESTO; 01-29-2016 at 12:30 PM.
12-15-2015, 07:59 AM - 1 Like   #17
Forum Member

Be that as it may, the OP asked for help settling a disagreement whether it could be done, or not, with Lightroom.
Of course there are better tools for the job ...

QuoteOriginally posted by Dipsoid Quote
Yes, this could be done with lots of tedious work with the adjustment brush. You're better off using layers and layer masks in Photoshop or getting it in camera.
12-15-2015, 08:04 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for all of the responses everyone.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
If Tess ever wanted this I'd tell here, "Here's where you buy photoshop, her's where you buy a few tutorials, here's a few place on the web
This is exactly how it all started. She asked, I questioned what exactly she wanted with a big confused "What???", she specified, and I pointed at my bookshelf and said "Get every book about photoshop and start reading". We then reached the point of discussion where she had to hear it from someone else other than myself.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Really?... are sure you want to let us lot in between you two.
Doing so has saved me a few times already. This is just the first time that I mentioned her in my questions.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bromberger Quote
not possible in LR.
possible in PS, but will be much more work than simply shooting it in uv light in the first place
Exactly. Thank you.

QuoteOriginally posted by Dipsoid Quote
Yes, this could be done with lots of tedious work with the adjustment brush. You're better off using layers and layer masks in Photoshop or getting it in camera.
Yep. I agree. Best bet is to shoot it in Glow in the dark and enhance it from there. That way, at least you have something to work with.

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I doubt you can exactly reproduce such effects PP, however, the "GLOWING EDGE" filter in PS will give you something equally radical.
Thanks for taking the time to show this.

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfworx Quote
I would not be so quick to write off Lightroom, this is a quick 5 minute effort...
Thanks for taking the time to show this.
12-15-2015, 08:07 AM   #19
Pentaxian

You can create an image totally from scratch using the paint tools in photoshop, so obviously it can be done. No question there. The real question is would anyone but a fool attempt it? Learning to paint and doing it with a traditional set of paints might be faster.

12-15-2015, 08:30 AM   #20
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
Doing so has saved me a few times already
Good to know that we are providing this fine public rescue service.
12-15-2015, 09:38 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Learning to paint and doing it with a traditional set of paints might be faster.
Not for me...
12-15-2015, 10:53 AM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

My girlfriend wants to take a photo and process it in Lightroom to look like it was glow in the dark. I said that it's not possible unless you shoot a glow in the dark photo and enhance it in LR. Agree or disagree?
It can't be reproduced using only LightRoom.

Do you want to be right, or do you want to have a girlfriend?

12-15-2015, 11:11 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote

Finally a voice of reason.

Oh how often that's the choice.
12-15-2015, 11:29 AM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

How about glowing pup with Topaz Glow?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
12-15-2015, 11:31 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sherrvonne Quote
How about glowing pup with Topaz Glow?
Wow, how do you do that...?
12-15-2015, 11:43 AM - 1 Like   #26

Having actually shot using blacklights for lighting, I can tell you that there are a few things that you'll need to do to do this right.
Blacklight is extremely hard to focus under (it's dark), so have a flashlight to assist with the focusing if you're using autofocus, otherwise manual focus is best, and a tripod is required.
Blacklights do not put out a lot of light. Think what you're going to need to light the room up and double or triple it. A place to get a blacklight is Hot Topic (they sell the 48" tube and a fixture. Amazon probably has a good deal more.).
UV reactive makeup is around, you'll want some. In our case it wore off quickly and we had to reapply often. White clothing reflects the best. A good black backdrop helped too.
Your eyes will get tired, best to give yourself some breaks.

A caveat is that I took these with my K-20 way back in the day. -- correction; EXIF is saying my wife's K5. Okay then.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Last edited by Hank; 12-15-2015 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Correction
12-15-2015, 12:08 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Wow, how do you do that...?
Well, first you gotta house sit a pup named Mikki and then after the owner passes away take multiple photos of pup in an attempt to rehome it. After failing to rehome pup your own family adopts it. then photos come in handy for this kind of stuff. It was actually really simple with the Topaz Glow program . (After I had the photo chosen in Lightroom,) From the 'develop' module in Lightroom I went to 'photo' and clicked 'edit in' and chose ''Topaz
glow' and clicked on that and it brings up your chosen photo in the topaz glow program and then gives you a choice of 'glow' templates to choose from. after you have chosen one it allows you to further tweak the photo however you like. It's really fun.
12-15-2015, 12:15 PM   #28
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

We then reached the point of discussion where she had to hear it from someone else other than myself.
When my wife asks me a question we usually reach that point at about the 3rd or 4th word of my reply.

If a man speaks in the forest, and there's no woman to hear it; is he still wrong?
12-15-2015, 12:17 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
When my wife asks me a question we usually reach that point at about the 3rd or 4th word of my reply.

If a man speaks in the forest, and there's no woman to hear it; is he still wrong?
And if I continue she pokes me in the ribs, and if I make any noise at all, she calls me a wuss.
12-15-2015, 10:27 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote

I don't want to have to spend any more time in LightRoom explaining how it isn't possible.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Good to know that we are providing this fine public rescue service.
I'm a member to a DIY-home improvement forum. She watches the DIY shows where they transform an entire house in a day. You should see how that goes. I'm forced to ask questions that I already know the answers to, just so she can read the answers I already told her from other people.

QuoteOriginally posted by sherrvonne Quote
Well, first you gotta house sit a pup named Mikki and then after the owner passes away take multiple photos of pup in an attempt to rehome it. After failing to rehome pup your own family adopts it. then photos come in handy for this kind of stuff. It was actually really simple with the Topaz Glow program . (After I had the photo chosen in Lightroom,) From the 'develop' module in Lightroom I went to 'photo' and clicked 'edit in' and chose ''Topaz
glow' and clicked on that and it brings up your chosen photo in the topaz glow program and then gives you a choice of 'glow' templates to choose from. after you have chosen one it allows you to further tweak the photo however you like. It's really fun.
Thank you! I have taught her how to use a DSLR, and was having trouble getting her to want to process her own images from RAW. I never thought to introduce Plugins to her, or show her what they can do. Perhaps showing her this would show her what really is possible compared to what she thinks should be possible.

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote

Ha!