Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-30-2015, 08:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Advice for moving to a new desktop

Hi everyone, I just purchased a Dell i3847-10000BK Desktop with i5, 8GB Ram, 1TB HD. This is replacing a old Dell Desktop with Vista from 2009. My old machine has two internal HDs, a smaller one with Windows and programs, and a 2TB drive where all my documents and photos are. I have about 1.5 TB of data on it, mostly photos and videos I have taken.

I am trying to figure out what the best way to move to the new computer. I am also considering buying the following SSD drive to put Windows and some programs on. Here are my questions:

1. I am planning on using PC Mover Express to move my files. I have read that it will not move programs though. The software was a free download, but an upgrade to pro is available that will move the programs too for $30. I am thinking of doing that. I have many programs that I am not sure how I would reinstall otherwise.

2. Should I go with the SSD? Or should I get a much bigger second standard internal HD?

3. I am thinking that for my old photos, that I could purchase an external case for my 2TB drive, and connect that via USB?

4. The current software I use for editing are Lightroom 3.4, and PS Elements 6. I am not an expert with them. When using Elements, I stick to simple stuff, mostly the guided edit stuff. If I go to the Adobe monthly plan, will I be overwhelmed?

I'm not a very technical person, so a big consideration here is how easy any of this would be for me. This machine is a family machine for a family on a budget, not a dedicated machine for photos. ANY advice anyone has on how I should proceed would be appreciated. I'm staring at this new machine not really sure how to proceed.

12-30-2015, 08:42 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1) Never used any of the 'mover' programs. I have always made it a policy to re-install all programs on a new machine. Yeah, it is work, but it avoids any issues and keeps you on your toes regarding serial numbers, registration and so on. It also gets rid of all the stuff that accumulates but you never really use. YMMV

2) YES. Nothing else you can do will make as much difference as an SSD. At current pricing, well worth the expense. Try to get at least a 240gb if you can fit it in the budget.

3) You probably could but I would check to see if it will fit internally first. I assume you are going to use the new 1tb drive for new photos? Be aware that best practices for Lightroom are to have all photos under the same directory to make backups and management easier. Not required but recommended. Maybe put all the photos on one drive and the videos on another?? An external drive is a good idea for backups though.

4) You will be fine with the newest Lightroom, there are changes but nothing you cannot work through. The Lightroom CC plan includes both Lightroom and Photoshop, and Photoshop will be a big change. I doubt you need it if all you are is a casual Elements user. In fact I would guess you could do everything needed in Lightroom without even going to Elements. At $10 per month Lightroom + Photoshop is a good deal if you use both. But if you don't use Photoshop I think you are better off getting the stand alone Lightroom v6 instead.
12-30-2015, 09:01 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I echo Jatrax's advice of not using a mover program unless it does a complete image, and that doesn't work changing operating systems. You'll do a much cleaner job at re-installing the programs one by one. And moving the files is a simple move from folder to folder. Check to make sure your new Dell doesn't already have a hybrid DDS/hard drive. My new Dell does and I thought that they all did now. If not that is a great upgrade. You will eventually need more hard drive space, you could put your two TB drive in your new system, or buy an external enclosure, I would opt for putting it in the new system first, but it could be done either way.
12-30-2015, 09:50 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had bad experience with hybrid hard drive. (Seagate Momentus 750 GB as far as I remember). Died in 3 month. After that I gave up on both: Seagate and hybride drives. SSD drive will give you shorter boot time, so if you shutdown/boot it often it is wise upgrade. Otherwise benefits are not that big. If you decide with SSD upgrade I may tell that my experience with Samsung SSD (850 pro series) was positive. Installed it in my desktop and Chromebook. Works well for both more than year. If I were you I would move second drive form the old machine to the new one and re-install all program on new machine system drive.

12-30-2015, 10:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

To answer your question, I'd definitely go with the SSD. Faster, better reliability, just generally better in general. With regard to moving programs, you'll have to reinstall them all on the new machine. For how to move the files, since this is a desktop, is there any reason why you can't just install the old data hard drive in the new machine? Installing a hard drive really isn't all that big a deal, assuming the new desktop has enough slots for drives, and that would definitely be the easiest way to go.
12-30-2015, 11:06 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
1. I am planning on using PC Mover Express to move my files. I have read that it will not move programs though. The software was a free download, but an upgrade to pro is available that will move the programs too for $30. I am thinking of doing that. I have many programs that I am not sure how I would reinstall otherwise.
I have no experience with PC Mover. I've "ghosted" drives using Acronis True Image but that takes the operating system along with it, and you definitely don't want Vista on your new PC.

QuoteQuote:
2. Should I go with the SSD? Or should I get a much bigger second standard internal HD?
If budget isn't a major concern use the SSD. Windows and other software will start much faster. Add a conventional hard drive for storing photos and video.

QuoteQuote:
3. I am thinking that for my old photos, that I could purchase an external case for my 2TB drive, and connect that via USB?
Yes, that should work. USB enclosures are often slower than internal drives, but if you're only periodically loading old photos and videos (rather than doing large data copies) it should be okay.

Or, if you are going to be opening the new system to install the SSD, see if you can fit your old hard drive in there too.

QuoteQuote:
4. The current software I use for editing are Lightroom 3.4, and PS Elements 6. I am not an expert with them. When using Elements, I stick to simple stuff, mostly the guided edit stuff. If I go to the Adobe monthly plan, will I be overwhelmed?
If you aren't interested in the full Photoshop the monthly plan is questionable value. (not bashing on Adobe; $10/month is IMO great for LR+PS but only if you actually use both programs)
12-31-2015, 04:36 AM   #7
Pentaxian

As most already have said, stick with the SSD. It's far superior with the OS compaired to mechanical drives.
Also echoing, reinstall everything. You will only introduce/keep errors and slow your new computer down if you try to move installations.
Finally, you should consider more reacent versions of Lightroom an PS Elements. A lot has happened since the versions you're currently using.

12-31-2015, 07:18 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm thinking that if I go with an SSD, that the 1TB drive that came with the computer will fill fast. Moving the old 2TB HD into the new machine would make sense, but just for prevention of failure, maybe I should go with a new one? I am thinking maybe go with an SSD and the 1TB drive that came with the computer, and I will have enough time to look for a deal on maybe a 3TB internal drive and replace the 1TB one as it starts to fill.

I guess I will follow people's advice and reinstall programs. I just don't know if I have all of my serial numbers, etc. Also, for the Adobe monthy program, I could try the 1 month free trial and see if I think it's worth it? The other option would be to upgrade to a newer version of Elements.

Any other advice anyone has would be appreciated. Thanks.
12-31-2015, 08:41 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I mean, you can move the old hard drive into the new machine just to copy over your old files, and then replace it with something newer. But since this hard drive has lived in your desktop, not a laptop, I wouldn't be too worried about it.
12-31-2015, 01:25 PM   #10

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote

If you buy a Samsung SSD they come with cloning software which will keep everything as you left it on the old HDD. I got the Evo 500 and am very happy - check UserBenchmark.com for which is the best value. I just got a new PC as well so just went through the same thing. If anything try and go value on the hardware and use the savings to invest in a good IPS monitor.

Re: the old disk, it doesn't matter if you mount internally (save desktop space) or externally - with USB 3 or gigabit Ethernet (NAS Enclosure) you'll only be limited by the speed of the 2 TB disk to access your files. If you want to get a bigger one look around the 4 TB mark - those are the best value now.

Re: Lightroom, unless you want access to PS, the dehaze feature, or want to upgrade all the time its probably a better deal to stick with the one-time license for LR vs a subscription to CC. A lot of the time if you buy anything camera related from B&H they'll give you a discount on Lightroom.

Last edited by slipdm16; 12-31-2015 at 01:33 PM.
01-01-2016, 03:43 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice, I ordered the Samsung SSD. Now I have to decide whether I will just move the existing 2TB HD to the new computer or not. I think I will just hook it up externally and use the one that came with the computer. A case for the drive is what, $20? What do I specifically need to look for?
01-01-2016, 05:04 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks everyone for the advice. I just don't know if I have all of my serial numbers, etc.
There are freeware programs available that will find your software keys. Just Google for them. Good luck.
01-01-2016, 09:12 PM   #13

Photos: Albums
Thanks for the advice, I ordered the Samsung SSD. Now I have to decide whether I will just move the existing 2TB HD to the new computer or not. I think I will just hook it up externally and use the one that came with the computer. A case for the drive is what, $20? What do I specifically need to look for?
I would look for something with USB 3 and UASP (protocol to make transfers faster) - both Sabrent (I have a diff Sabrent dock that works well) and Inateck sell decent ones for $23 on Amazon
01-03-2016, 04:38 PM   #14
rfg

On question 4, I would definitely recommend updating Lightroom. I find the new features really useful; in particular the revamped basic panel which came with V4 is MUCH better than V3.

QuoteOriginally posted by slipdm16 Quote
Re: Lightroom, unless you want access to PS, the dehaze feature, or want to upgrade all the time its probably a better deal to stick with the one-time license for LR vs a subscription to CC. A lot of the time if you buy anything camera related from B&H they'll give you a discount on Lightroom.

Agree here too - if you don't use PS regularly the one time LR license is a better deal. And you can get the de-haze control if you want - instructions here:
nikos pavlakis photography: Lightroom 6 Dehaze plugin (new one with slider)
01-08-2016, 05:15 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

When I build (or buy) my next computer, it's going to stay new. I back up everything to external drives and that's where they will stay. Why fill up your new computers HD with all your old computers crap? I plug my external drive in and all my files can be accessed. If you aren't backing up, you should be. Since our cameras are producing larger and larger files, it makes real sense to store files on an external drive.