Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-09-2016, 11:38 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Since our cameras are producing larger and larger files, it makes real sense to store files on an external drive.
Agree. I use a home built server for local storage. Windows Home Server O/S which backs up all the computers on the network as well handling all the file storage on a RAID array. That's a little more serious than an external drive but the same principle. Without the server I would configure with a USB 3.0 external drive for file storage. Two actually, one for use and one as a mirrored backup.

01-11-2016, 10:30 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Again, thanks to everyone. As I said, I bought the SSD. My plan is to move the OS and programs from the NEW computers existing hard drive to the SSD, and then use the new computers HD for new photos. I will either install my old computers 2TB hard drive via USB externally, or internally. I am attaching some pictures of the insides of both computers to ask questions.

1) The new computer MB has two connectors labeled as HDD1 and HDD2, and ODD1 and ODD2. I know this means that the ones labeled as HDD are meant for Hard drives, and the ODD ones are for Optical Drives. I will use the the empty HDD2 connector for the new SSD drive. If I want, can I mount the old 2TB hard drive in the optical bay using the unused ODD2 connector? If not, then I will definitely have to buy a external enclosure. Based on the pictures I will post in the next post, is there anything unusual about the old drive for purchasing that?

2) In the documentation for the SSD drive, it says to first connect the SSD via a cable I don't have to an external SSD port to do the data migration. Do I have to buy that cable and do it that way? Why can't I just mount it internally and do the migration?

1) Backup files from old computer to existing external drive.
2) Fire up new computer and verify that it's working correctly before doing anything else
3) Connect the SSD externally via USB and run the Samsung Migration program from the new computers HD.
4) Install SSD in the new computer using the metal drive adapter and cable that I already bought.
5) Turn on the computer. I am guessing at this point I will need to change something to tell the computer to boot from the SSD?
6) Once I verify that the SSD is running the computer correctly, how should I remove all the stuff on the new computer's HD that I no longer need? Can I simple delete everything on the drive?
7) Decide whether to connect the old 2TB data drive from the old computer either internally via the optical connection (if that's possible), or externally via one of the USB3 ports on the back. If I go the external route, I need to buy an enclosure.

What else should I do, or do I need to do? Any suggestions anyone has would be appreciated, thanks. Pictures in next post.

Last edited by jake14mw; 01-12-2016 at 02:20 PM. Reason: typo, changed optical to SSD
01-11-2016, 10:55 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
First one old. Second one new.
Attached Images

Last edited by jake14mw; 01-11-2016 at 10:57 AM. Reason: clarifying
01-11-2016, 11:31 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Your final configuration is going to be SSD for software, new HD (the one with Windows on it now) for new photos, old HD (with all your old photos)

QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw:
The new computer MB has two connectors labeled as HDD1 and HDD2, and ODD1 and ODD2. I know this means that the ones labeled as HDD are meant for Hard drives, and the ODD ones are for Optical Drives. I will use the the empty HDD2 connector for the new optical drive. If I want, can I mount the old 2TB hard drive in the optical bay using the unused ODD2 connector? If not, then I will definitely have to buy a external enclosure.
The motherboard maker might have saved a few pennies by making the ODD ports slower than the HDD ports. Use the 2 available HDD ports for the SSD and new hard drive. Use the 2 ODD ports for the optical drive and old 2 TB photo hard drive.

In the documentation for the SSD drive, it says to first connect the SSD via a cable I don't have to an external SSD port to do the data migration. Do I have to buy that cable and do it that way? Why can't I just mount it internally and do the migration?
Mounting it internally should work okay.

Once I verify that the SSD is running the computer correctly, how should I remove all the stuff on the new computer's HD that I no longer need? Can I simple delete everything on the drive?
Reformat the new hard drive after you are positive that Windows is working well on the SSD. Reformatting will remove hidden Windows system files that might not get removed by deleting files.

Be careful to work on the proper hard drive. Don't accidentally reformat the old 2TB photo drive. (this is one of the reasons why backups are essential)

QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
Decide whether to connect the old 2TB data drive from the old computer either internally via the optical connection (if that's possible), or externally via one of the USB3 ports on the back. If I go the external route, I need to buy an enclosure.
The old 2 TB drive looks like it will work in the ODD port. Current optical drives use the same type of SATA interface as hard drives.

01-12-2016, 02:20 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks DeadJohn for your help.
01-24-2016, 06:07 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK, I installed the Samsung SSD. I followed the instructions that came with the drive and used the Samsung utility to copy files from the new computers 1TB drive to the SSD. The only problem I have now is that I can't figure out how to get the computer to use the SSD as the boot drive. I am attaching a picture of the boot tab from the Bios of this new Dell computer. Where it says 1st boot device, I thought I would be able to choose between the HDD and SSD, but it is not an option. The options are USB Floppy Device, UEFI:Windows Boot Manager, USB Storage Device, Internal ODD Devices, Onboard NIC Device, and Disabled.

Can anyone help me?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
01-24-2016, 06:23 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Remember that once you finished if you care one bit on what is on the drives, you need to have regular backup of everything. If you store 2TB + 1TB of data, you need a plan for permanet backup of 3TB.

01-24-2016, 08:52 AM   #23

Photos: Albums
Quick & easy fix - swap the data (not power) cables on the existing 2 TB drive with the new SSD (just the plug that connects to the HDD) and the system should now boot from the SSD. Home stretch!
01-24-2016, 09:24 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slipdm16 Quote
Quick & easy fix - swap the data (not power) cables on the existing 2 TB drive with the new SSD (just the plug that connects to the HDD) and the system should now boot from the SSD. Home stretch!
Thanks! I swapped the cables and tried it, but it didn't work. Then I unplugged the data cable to the HDD, booted it up, the SSD booted (of course, that had worked before), but then when I powered down and powered back up, it worked! SSD drive is now the C: drive, and when I go to disk management, it shows boot under it. Thanks sooooo much!
02-04-2016, 10:10 PM   #25

I'm going to cop to not having read any responses to this thread at all, but you're making a gargantuan mistake if you don't get an SSD.

Edit: it looks like you chose an SSD. Congrats on taking my advice into consideration!
02-05-2016, 10:51 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SSDs have an Achilles Heel - heat. Large server rooms that converted to SSDs have started to either invest in better cooling or revert back to spinning platters due to data suddenly disappearing on their SSDs. So make sure you have a good fan in that new box.
02-13-2016, 04:03 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
SSDs have an Achilles Heel - heat. Large server rooms that converted to SSDs have started to either invest in better cooling or revert back to spinning platters due to data suddenly disappearing on their SSDs. So make sure you have a good fan in that new box.
In the long run I think spinning platters will not exist anymore but this raise even more the need for a backup solution.

Myself i use a class HDD connected to the wifi router and so available to all computers in the house. i have daily backup done automatically. This cost me like 100€ maybe 4 year back for 1.5TB of storage but ensure all pictures and personal data are backed up. Not perfectb but at least the data is not in the same box as the computer.