Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2016, 04:54 PM - 1 Like   #181
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by donlass Quote
I have no clue how to use the software or even where to begin. How do I import files?
Open RT and go to the File Browser tab and pick a folder that has images you want to edit. You will see thumbnails populate once you select a folder then you can open an image from there which will open in the image editor tab...

If you spend some time in Rawpedia, things will start to make sense...
http://50.87.144.65/~rt/w/index.php?title=Getting_Started

10-28-2016, 10:42 AM   #182
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by donlass Quote
I have no clue how to use the software or even where to begin. How do I import files?
You can set RawTherapee as the default RAW handler & then when you double click on a RAW file, it will open with RawTherapee by default.

I usually navigate to the folders where the RAW files are at in either Windows or Debian & then I open the RAW files from there. I don't navigate through RawTherapee.

The reason I use RawTherapee most of the time is for its relative simplicity & swiftness at opening a file. I only process one image at a time. I don't do multiple. Whenever I want ot proces an image, I go to the folder where the RAW file is located & I double click to open it up. Here is where RawTherapee wins in speed hands down compated to anyone else, since it only loads that one photo. If you have a ton of RAW files in the same folder & open one image with DXO for instance, it can take a few minutes to load the files before the image you want to work on even appears for editing. In my case, sometimes it can take up to 5 minutes at times to open an image with DXO, versus a few seconds with RawTherapee. Then again, I do have DXO 9. My guess is that the newer versions are faster.

As far as getting to know the program, take a look at the link that todd posted & you'll just have to jump in & use it too. Just play with it & you'll start to figure it out.
10-28-2016, 11:52 AM   #183
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
You can set RawTherapee as the default RAW handler
Yeah I should have mentioned that there are two ways to open RT, and I probably split my time between both, depending of course on whether I am editing a single picture or batch editing... I figured opening RT in batch edit mode would be best for someone new to the app, in case one reads about something that isn't there in the single image mode. (You can't get to the Queue tab, the File Browser tab or the Preferences when in single image mode).

A tip for those who split time in both modes (in Windows): I like to have Irfanview as my default image handler for super-quick viewing from the Windows File Explorer thumbnails. Then I used a context menu editor to add RT to the context menu so I can open an image in RT by a right click... I do this for other apps and associations too, like Gimp.. Alternatively, one could put an RT shortcut into the SendTo submenu, but having the option in the root of the context menu is obviously faster...
11-22-2016, 09:29 PM   #184
Pentaxian

Tony Northrupt posted a review of free photo editors yesterday and here is the small RT relevant portion: FREE Photo Editors (RAW): Photoscape X & RawTherapee - YouTube

He summarizes with, 'if you're good with computers, you're going to like RT' and takes a quick look at few aspects of the app...

11-23-2016, 12:59 PM   #185
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is a link to my post on RT.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/333849-r...ml#post3827574

It was in response to a new user not seeing the effect of NR due to not viewing at 100%+. It had already been mentioned in the thread about these modules having "1:1" in their title bar, so I didn't bother mentioning it again in my description.

A fuller description for a novice would include loading, selecting a profile, basics like cropping/resizing, queuing and saving.

Dan.
12-13-2016, 07:33 AM   #186
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ah yes! Been quite busy lately. I toyed around with a different method of noise reduction using wavelets, but still haven't quite figured it out that well. Sometimes it can work & other times it can kind of ruin an image. It basically depends on what you've shot. I'm going to be experimenting on that for a while.

Lately I've been playing more with DxO 9. That software can do some lovely high ISO rendering. The regular High NR works well enough. The PRIME NR tends to introduce some weird purple/magenta color cast into the photo. I never really use that method in DxO. It's also better at controlling high ISO false coloring too. This is something that I have never been able to get RawTherapee to do. It's from ISO 6400 & on where RawTherapee starts to really lose against DxO in color noise.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/94-pentax-price-watch/335169-dxo-opticspro-9-free.html

For those that are running a K-3II or older, give it a try. It's currently free until February 2017. You'll get the DxO Optics Pro 9 Elite.

Here is an ISO 25600 pixelpeep sample below from DxO 9 using regular High NR & RawTherapee using an ISO 25600 processing profile.

So yeah! I still want to beat DxO's high ISO rendring. Let's keep this thread going!
12-13-2016, 08:38 AM   #187
Pentaxian

...The PRIME NR tends to introduce some weird purple/magenta color cast into the photo. I never really use that method in DxO. It's also better at controlling high ISO false coloring too. This is something that I have never been able to get RawTherapee to do. It's from ISO 6400 & on where RawTherapee starts to really lose against DxO in color noise.
Interesting.
Can you share the RAW file used in these examples?
12-13-2016, 09:16 AM   #188
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ I don't have a place to upload online. I can email it to you, though. It's an 18.9MB DNG file.

12-13-2016, 10:13 AM   #189
Pentaxian

^ I don't have a place to upload online. I can email it to you, though. It's an 18.9MB DNG file.
Here are a few popular file sharing sites. See if one works for our needs.
dropcanvas - instant drag and drop sharing
Pastelink.net - Publish Hyperlinks
Droplr – All-in-One Screenshot and File Sharing Tool
http://ge.tt/
12-13-2016, 10:42 AM   #190
Pentaxian

Original Poster
OK!

dropcanvas - instant drag and drop sharing

^ Expires in 3 days.
12-13-2016, 12:09 PM   #191
Pentaxian

Okay thanks for that.

In your previous comments, when you say false coloring, are you referring to the green and purple color blotches(noise pattern) that appears in the midtones and shadow areas of the image?
12-13-2016, 12:18 PM   #192
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ Yeah. DxO does a better job at removing it. Blacks stay black & don't have a green, blue, red, etcetera color cast in them.
12-13-2016, 12:57 PM   #193
Pentaxian

OK!
please share your RT pp3 for this too, so we can compare...
12-13-2016, 01:15 PM   #194
Pentaxian

^ Yeah. DxO does a better job at removing it. Blacks stay black & don't have a green, blue, red, etcetera color cast in them.
Okay thanks for the that. I believe the correct term for this particular phenomenon is low frequency noise, which incidentally, is one of the more difficult aberrations to contend with in NR.

That said I ran the image through RawTherapee 4.2.1375 and found that the (lfn) could be mitigated using the Chrominance Master slider in combination with the Median Filter(selected) under L*a*b* w/high quality selected.

In addition to this, I also believe that while RawTherapee and DxO 11 can be quite good at rendering above average high ISO images with minimal effort, that these are not very adept at reproducing very high ISO images(such as your sample image) for the most part. To which I'd add, my observation has been that ACR or LR coupled with Topaz Denoise will most often produce superior results than with global editing methods

I'd also add that that there is one other contender worth mentioning in this case(very high ISO's) and that is Photo Ninja. To which I'd add, I've discovered will most often outperform every other RAW developer in terms of detail retention and color preservation with very high ISO images. - no clue if it's a worthy RAW developer as I don't use it personally, though on this particular front, it's been consistent in rendering better output than the competition.

Therefore and in conclusion, I'd also also add that while these methods will prove useful in cases where batch processing and image detail are negligible, that they will not contend with what I'd call advanced noise reduction methods. That is to say, to segmenting image noise by values(shadow, midtones and highlights) so as to treat each region respectively. Which will in turn, allow for maximum detail retention and control insofar as noise reduction goes.

- hope this helps.

Last edited by JohnBee; 12-13-2016 at 01:58 PM.
12-13-2016, 01:35 PM   #195
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
To which I'd add, my observation has been that ACR or LR coupled with Topaz Denoise will most often produce superior results than with global editing methods
This has been my experience too in regards to Topaz... This is why I use RT for noise reduction a lot of the time for the sake of expediency, and will send my output to Gimp and Topaz Denoise when I want to get the best result possible.. I am the curious type so would give DXO a try except the last time I checked they are still not supporting the K1.
Closed Thread