Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 130 Likes Search this Thread
01-24-2017, 11:17 PM   #211
Veteran Member

Thank you for answering..

01-25-2017, 02:35 AM   #212
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
New profiles work great also for other cameras not using 16 MP sensor - thank you! Even if new functions in v 5.0 are not that important for me this version is much better vs v 4 family - is much faster and has some tweaks in user interface and layout.
01-25-2017, 02:43 AM   #213
Veteran Member

Waiting for v5.0 for macusers...
01-25-2017, 07:45 AM   #214
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Piotrek K Quote
New profiles work great also for other cameras not using 16 MP sensor - thank you! Even if new functions in v 5.0 are not that important for me this version is much better vs v 4 family - is much faster and has some tweaks in user interface and layout.
I was testing these on some of my old Sony A200 ARW files & was impressed. Same 10MP CCD sensor as the Pentax K10D. Pictures that I shot at ISO 800 & even some at ISO 1600 came out looking really good. I would never really go past ISO 400 with that camera, but had I known then what I know now, I would have shot more often to ISO 800 & used ISO 1600 in a pinch.

---------- Post added 01-25-17 at 07:16 AM ----------

Reposting this again on this page.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/32-digital-processing-softwar...evelopment.zip

^ Processing profiles are here.

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
UPDATE!

In case you folks haven't been looking, RawTherapee 5.0 has been released. Download the fast version.

I have included some updated processing profiles. There are 3 different versions. The CUSTOM CURVE has a tone curve that is kind of conservative. The PARAMETRIC CURVE has a tone curve that has a bit more contrast punch. The NEUTRAL EXPOSURE is.... You guessed it. All settings except for exposure are there. You can add your own tone curve or exposure adjustments.

If you use the PARAMETRIC or CUSTOM profiles & you press the Auto Levels button in the EXPOSURE tab, you will notice that the picture will be extra contrasty. Just scroll down to the Contrast setting & reset if back to 0. The picture will look more normal.

All the processing profiles have a bit of grain. If the grain bothers you, go to the DETAIL tab & scroll down to the Median Filter. Turn it on to reduce some of the grain. They're all set to L*a*b & 3x3 soft. Play around with those settings if you want to further decrease the grain, but like always, you give up something for something. The higher you go or different method you use will either keep or reduce the fine detail.

Have fun!

Last edited by The Squirrel Mafia; 01-25-2017 at 08:17 AM.
01-26-2017, 02:05 PM   #215
Veteran Member

Hello,
any feedback concerning RT 5.0?
01-26-2017, 02:46 PM   #216
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by teiki arii Quote
Hello,
any feedback concerning RT 5.0?
I installed it a couple days ago, processed some images. The interface is a bit different but I haven't seen any issues, other than it seems to be a bit slower.
01-26-2017, 04:24 PM   #217
Pentaxian

Original Poster
So far so good on Windows. I haven't gotten the latest version on Debian or Fedora yet, but I'll get around to it later on.

01-26-2017, 05:44 PM   #218
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I installed it a couple days ago, processed some images. The interface is a bit different but I haven't seen any issues, other than it seems to be a bit slower.

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
So far so good on Windows. I haven't gotten the latest version on Debian or Fedora yet, but I'll get around to it later on.

Good news. Does the 5.0 version have the "pixel shift" module?
01-26-2017, 06:12 PM - 1 Like   #219
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ Not yet. There is a separate RawTherapee build with Pixel Shift being tested on Windows & Linux, but Pixel Shift hasn't been added to 5.0 yet. Maybe in a few releases from now.

Support for Pentax pixel shift files #3489 - RawTherapee - discuss.pixls.us

^ That is the main thread on the RawTherapee forum. It's still being worked on.

Play pixelshift - RawTherapee - discuss.pixls.us

^ Here is a thread where they're playing around with the Pixel Shift feature.
02-02-2017, 08:49 AM   #220
Pentaxian

Original Poster
As I'm playing with RawTherapee even more, I'm finding that I actually shoot quite comfortably at ISO 12800 & turn those images to B&W using the Ilford HPS 800 film simulation from G'MIC. It seems to be hands down the best B&W film simulation that I've used. I really love the look of that film emulation. It actually looks better than the same Ilford HPS 800 film simulation in the RawTherapee HaldCLUT.zip.

I get some grainy pictures that look old school, but still have a lot of detail. They remind me of old ISO 1600 film. Very cool looking.

I have attached a zip file to this post with an ISO 12800.pp3 file & that Ilford HPS 800 film simulation. I've exaggerated the grain a bit, by bumping up the Finest Contrast in the Wavelets tab to 160 instead of 75. I'm basically adding more grain to the grain to make it look more pleasing. Sounds counter intuitive, but it actually works quite well for B&W images. Place the film simulation where your HaldCLUT directory is at. In other words, put it in the folder where you have your film simulations.

To use it, open an ISO 12800 RAW file & open the ISO 12800.pp3 file in RawTherapee. Then go to the Film Simulation section of the Color tab & look for the ilford_hps_800 film simulation & apply it. Voila!

Last edited by The Squirrel Mafia; 03-27-2017 at 07:34 AM.
02-02-2017, 06:39 PM - 1 Like   #221

QuoteOriginally posted by teiki arii Quote
Good news. Does the 5.0 version have the "pixel shift" module?
It does not. But functionality wise the pixelshift branch of rt 5.0 currently is on par with the official rt 5.0 branch (+ pixelshift). Means, that everybody who is able to compile rt also can compile rt pixelshift. For users of the windows version of rt there also exists installers (I can post the links here if wanted).

Regards, Ingo
02-03-2017, 10:46 AM   #222
Pentaxian

Original Poster
UPDATE!

It looks like they're going to release a slightly updated version of 5.0 either later today or tomorrow. The first one was kind of slow.

I just downloaded the latest RawTherapee_5.0-r1-gtk2_WinVista_64.zip from their Google Drive. It's insanely fast. It takes about 5 seconds from double clicking the RAW file, RawTherapee opening, & me being able to edit already. It would take about +-20 seconds with the first release.

Hopefully the newer GTK3 version will be just as fast. It's not on the current website, but should be out soon. Stay tuned!

By the way, the latest profiles are still HERE.

Last edited by The Squirrel Mafia; 02-03-2017 at 10:52 AM.
02-03-2017, 02:59 PM   #223
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

it's already there (gtk3) .. it seems to have fixed my no disk bug too (yay) problem resurfaced.. oh well at least I have a work around...

Last edited by todd; 02-03-2017 at 07:50 PM.
02-05-2017, 06:09 PM   #224
Veteran Member

@The Squirrel Mafia

Something you may have overlooked about high ISO denoising is Preferences/Performance tab, where you'll be able to add one more low frequency denoising ("Increase the number of wavelet levels for HighQuality", if I translate it correctly). I'd also set "Denoising level" to standard, and switch "Tool mode " to Expert. Those parameters affects the performance, but the end result too, so some of them should be move in the Denoise tool itself. That's what happen when developer doesn't follow guidelines...

With all this enabled, you could try this attached pp3 file, that only use the Denoise tool for denoising, but also disable Sharpening and set the Demosaicing method to IGV. Not as good as DxO 9 or 11, but a good starting point. Could you share again the rawfile or "the remote controller" shot ?
Attached Files
File Type: txt ISO12800 K5.pp3.txt (815 Bytes, 97 views)
02-05-2017, 08:54 PM   #225
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
it's already there (gtk3) .. it seems to have fixed my no disk bug too (yay) problem resurfaced.. oh well at least I have a work around...
I actuially got that notice when I got 5.0r1. I went back to using the GTK2 version for now.
QuoteOriginally posted by Ariis Quote
@The Squirrel Mafia

Something you may have overlooked about high ISO denoising is Preferences/Performance tab, where you'll be able to add one more low frequency denoising ("Increase the number of wavelet levels for HighQuality", if I translate it correctly). I'd also set "Denoising level" to standard, and switch "Tool mode " to Expert. Those parameters affects the performance, but the end result too, so some of them should be move in the Denoise tool itself. That's what happen when developer doesn't follow guidelines...

With all this enabled, you could try this attached pp3 file, that only use the Denoise tool for denoising, but also disable Sharpening and set the Demosaicing method to IGV. Not as good as DxO 9 or 11, but a good starting point. Could you share again the rawfile or "the remote controller" shot ?
dropcanvas - instant drag and drop sharing - IMGP5904.DNG
^ Here's the link. It's an ISO 25600 file from my K-50. I can see some low frequency color noise at ISO 6400, gets slightly worse at 12800, & it's very obvious at 25600.
Closed Thread