Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2016, 12:14 PM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
Yes. The K-01, K-30, & K-50 share the exact same sensor, processor, & 12bit RAW files.
Awesome. I have some nice high-ISO night shots to try with these...

01-07-2016, 12:45 PM   #17
Pentaxian

For fellow Windoze users, a kind fellow who regularly compiles recent builds for us has compiled another most recent build RawTherapee 4.2.582 (I always install these latest builds with no issues, at least not anything serious... On rare occasion little niggly things will pop up...)...

To keep my config, I always just make sure to install to same folder (C:\Program Files\RawTherapee). So since I already have RT installed to that directory, I just uninstall the current build, then during the install of the latest version, I remove the build number that the installer adds to the default install path (so in the case of this build, I install to C:\Program Files\RawTherapee instead of C:\Program Files\RawTherapee 4.2.5820)
01-07-2016, 01:04 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ Good point. I don't know why they do that. It should just go to the RawTherapee folder & then when you look at "about" you can find the version there. Most other software is configured like that.

It's different in Linux. As long as you have the proper sources for RawTherapee, you just get the latest build as they go without having to update manually.

QuoteOriginally posted by logomancer Quote
Awesome. I have some nice high-ISO night shots to try with these...
Compare the OOC jpegs to the ones you get from RawTherapee. Try adding some film simulation to it as well. There are a ton of film simulations that you can use.
01-07-2016, 01:34 PM   #19
Pentaxian

you just get the latest build as they go without having to update manually.
Definitely miss that from when I used to run Linux...

01-14-2016, 11:55 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
UPDATE!

New profiles have been uploaded. As you can tell, there are 5 different zip files. Since I have a K-50, I tend to concentrate on it the most. The file labeled 2016-01-14 Pentax K01_K30_K50 is for the K-01, K-30, & K-50 cameras since they're pretty much the exact same camera. From ISO 100 to 25600, the procesing profiles use the AMAZE demosaicing algorithm. Once you get to the pointless ISO 51200, the IGV demosaicing algorithm is used. You will find that the K-01/30/50 sensor produces great images up to ISO 6400 & decent looking images up to ISO 12800. Even ISO 25600 can produce a semi-usable image for extreme low light cases & ISO 51200 is wishful thinking. I set my camera to shoot auto ISO 100 to 6400 & manually set ISO 12800 when I have to.

The K-5, K-5II, & K-5IIs use the same sensor, so they will work with them as well. These will work with all Pentax DSLR cameras in general.

You will also notice that there are 4 more zip files. They are AMAZE, DCB, IGV, & LMMSE. They're all pretty much the same, except for the demosaicing algorithm. You can try them out & see what works better for you. Owners of the Pentax Q cameras might find that some of the other demosaicing algorithms work better for their cameras.

Noise reduction has been applied from ISO 800 to ISO 51200, but it's just for the color noise (chrominance). The grain noise (luminance) is not affected. This preserves the fine details, but there can be a bit of grain as the ISO climbs. The grain pattern up to ISO 6400 is fine & pleasant looking, though. You would have to go to the detail tab to reduce luminance noise to your own taste. You will however, start to smudge the fine detail.

So go ahead & download whatever you want to use & try it out. Compare your OOC jpegs to the ones processed in RawTherapee. You can increase the sharpness in the detail tab by turning on unsharp mask. If you get too many artifacts, turn on halo control & adjust the slider to your liking.

Have fun!
01-14-2016, 12:01 PM   #21
Forum Member

From ISO 100 to 25600, the procesing profiles use the AMAZE demosaicing algorithm. Once you get to the pointless ISO 51200, the IGV demosaicing algorithm is used.
Why the change in demosaicing algorithms?
01-14-2016, 12:18 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ I did some recalibrating in the RAW sensor settings & compared results. The AMAZE keeps more detail, but shows slightly larger grain, while the LMMSE has smaller grain, but doesn't quite preserve the detail like AMAZE. It's like you give up one thing for another. Hahaha!
01-14-2016, 05:41 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It just takes a little bit of patience & toying around with the settings to start understanding how RawTherapee works. If you put in a little bit of time, you'll actually be quite amazed with RawTherapee
My experience has all been with software like PhotoShop. From what I can see, the Lightroom metaphor/mindset is completely different. Could you recommend a tutorial that would be me pointed in the right direction??

01-14-2016, 06:11 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
http://50.87.144.65/~rt/w/index.php?title=

^ That's the official documentation.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=RAWTHERAPEE

^ Here are a few videos that can get you started.
01-14-2016, 06:51 PM   #25
Pentaxian

give up one thing for another
yeah this is more at the pixel peep level though... More noticeable differences from my view are with the various working/output profile settings.. Default Prophoto/RT-Srgb seems to be consistently giving me better results (with K3/K5 images) in my recent comparisons than your Srgb/Srgb config, but I continue to explore.... The wider gamut probably just suits my aggressive pixel pushing and pulling ways better...

I've been using a Gtk3 build (4.2.670) the last couple days and.... perty!
01-14-2016, 09:13 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ I do large prints & usually look at the pixel level to see how it's going to print out.

That is a very nice build. It's easier to move settings in. I'm hoping that they will release another stable version soon. It has been more than a year now.
01-14-2016, 09:40 PM   #27
Pentaxian

I do large prints
interesting! pray tell! how large? what? why?
01-14-2016, 10:15 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I've done as large as 30"x45" out of the K-50. I recently did a 24"x36" print out of an ISO 6400 image. I processed it through RawTherapee, used the Illford Delta 400 B&W film simulation, & sent the tiff out to print. I didn't think it was going to look all that great, but I was kind of surprised when I got it. It came out looking pretty good! It still had a lot of fine detail & the high ISO grain made it look kind of old-skool. Made me rethink my printing & ISO figures.
01-18-2016, 10:59 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Original Poster
UPDATE!

Had some errors in the processing profiles & fixed them. It was 'causing some smearing & loss of fine detail at high ISO in the stable version of RawTherapee. Also tweaked the color noise reduction a bit.
01-19-2016, 12:48 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Original Poster
TIP OF THE DAY!

Want to sharpen your images? Go to the "Detail" tab & turn on the "Sharpening". Once you do, you have 2 options in the "Method" section:

Unsharp Mask
RL Deconvolution

Both can produce great results. You can turn on Unsharp Mask & then turn on the Halo control to reduce halos/artifacts & slide it to your liking.

The RL Deconvolution setting sharpens in a different way. There are 4 additional settings to tweak the sharpness. Play around with it.

Have fun!