Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 130 Likes Search this Thread
07-11-2017, 06:10 AM   #361
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
I'm sure the answer is buried somewhere in this thread, but why my photos look much nicer/more vivid in RT while i'm processing, and look duller after I bring it into photoshop for further processing?
@The Squirrel Mafia Can we start a full discussion on this problem, or should it be a new thread ? Anyway, we'll need a raw file, the output jpeg and pp3 sidecar file to be able to answer to this. I guess it's related to the output profile, but we need more elements before answering.

---------- Post added 11-07-17 at 14:25 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
At the the upper right corner of the screen, under Processing Profiles, there's a dropdown menu. Selecting "default" from that list should do the trick.
Just to be complete, reverting to "default" is not reverting to "neutral". The first one is a default processing profile that contains non null values, i.e. it already modify your raw image so that it can give you an hopefully nice looking image. Reverting to "neutral" however will set all values to their neutral value, that will not bring any effect. That's why selecting "neutral" will revert to a dull image, but that's precisely what the sensor have captured and is what I'd call a "blank sheet" when it comes to editing.

Also, you may have selected a default profile in Preferences other than "default" when opening a raw file never edited. That profile may be partial, i.e. it doesn't contain all the values to only modify partly the editing (e.g. does not touch crop or resize section). Reverting to such partial profiles will not revert the missing values to their default values unless you toggle-on first the button that is on the left of this dropdown menu.

---------- Post added 11-07-17 at 14:42 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
Also, (it may have been asked previously), when a new version is released, what's the best way to install it? Should the old version be removed or does the new version install over the old? Are there any supplemental resources for the new versions that need to be there (I think the early versions required additional resources)?
That's not a simple question. RT is in a rolling release scheme, which mean that you can have bleeding edges functions that have been tested before being added to RT (the "dev" branch), but we despite we're taking care of backward compatibility of Image Quality (keeping the effect identical over revisions), this is not always possible. In a general manner, if you start developing photos, I'd recommend to finish your editing with your current version before upgrading. Then, for Windows users, you can uninstall the current version and install the new one. Your cache data will not be deleted. If you want to keep your actual version and install a new version to test it, it'll share the same cache folder, and I wouldn't recommend that (given you're in a testing phase). It's possible to use a special cache and config location though. Please see this important section in Rawpedia

07-11-2017, 08:58 AM   #362
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'm sure the answer is buried somewhere in this thread, but why my photos look much nicer/more vivid in RT while i'm processing, and look duller after I bring it into photoshop for further processing?
The only thing I can think of is Photoshop using some kind of other color profile instead of the system default or something. If you're using one of the processing profiles that I've created, it won't embed a color profile into the output, meaning that Photoshop, GIMP, or whatever shouldn't ask you if you want to keep using the embeded jpeg color profile or exchange it for something else. Basically, what you see in RawTherapee & if you view the image with Windows Photo Viewer or Windows Photos should look exactly the same, provided that you are using the default ICC profile in Windows. If the image looks the same, but then changes color in Photoshop, you'll need to figure out what color profile Photoshop is using.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ariis Quote
@The Squirrel Mafia Can we start a full discussion on this problem, or should it be a new thread ? Anyway, we'll need a raw file, the output jpeg and pp3 sidecar file to be able to answer to this. I guess it's related to the output profile, but we need more elements before answering.
I don't have a problem with having a new thread, especially if the developers can help out the users in there. Maybe a RawTherapee ask the developers thread. Aaaawwwwww yyeeeeaaahhh!
07-11-2017, 09:51 AM   #363
Pentaxian

Original Poster
UPDATE!

I've attached a new set of processing profiles with a minor update. The tone curve has been tweaked slightly. That's basically it. They're attached to the bottom of this post. Installation instructions are below.

If you're running Windows & getting that C++ Runtime Error or other errors with version 5.1, there will be a revised version coming in 2 weeks or so on the main website. As for now, you can download the latest dev version from HERE. Look for the RawTherapee_dev_5.1-132-g2c7de89f_WinVista_64.zip file & download that. It's running smooth for me.

---------------------------------------------------------

How to install the processing profiles so that they show up in RawTherapee's Processing Profiles section.

Download the latest processing profiles from one of my most recent posts in this thread. You might have to search a bit. Depending on what version of RawTherapee you have, download the appropriate processing profiles. Extract the folder(s) out of the zip to your desktop or wherever you want.

Once you are done installing RawTherapee, you will need to navigate to RawTherapee's "profiles" folder. Basically the path to the folder should look something like this. It might be named a little different depending on how you installed it, but you get the gist of it.

WINDOWS (need to have administrator privileges)
C:\Program Files\RawTherapee\profiles

LINUX (need to have root privileges like using "gksudo nautilus" in Ubuntu for example)
usr/share/rawtherapee/profiles

Once you navigate to the "profiles" folder where you'll see "BW", "Faded", "Generic", "Pop", "Portrait", etc. folders, place the folder(s) that you extracted from the zip(s) inside the the same "profiles" folder. That is all. Windows might ask you for a confirmation.

It gets a bit more trickier in Linux 'cause you have to set folder permissions or else RawTherapee won't start or if it does start, you might not be able to select your processing profiles. The easiest thing I have found to do is to copy one of the existing folders, rename it, delete its contents, & paste the processing profiles into it. The Linux heads will know what to do.

If you can't install the processing profiles into that "profiles" folder for whatever reason, then just manually load the profiles that you want to use by pressing the "folder" button right next the area where you select the processing profiles on the upper right hand side in RawTherapee. You navigate to wherever you placed the processing profiles at.

But wait! What do the processing profiles do? They are a good starting point for developing pictures. Instead of fumbling around with the all the options trying to figure out the optimal setting, these profiles have the settings kind of figured out for you. Once you select the appropriate processing profile, you can start tweaking color, exposure, or whatever else to your liking.

Remember that the PIXEL SHIFT processing profiles are for Pixel Shifted images. You'll get weird looking images if you use them on non-Pixel Shifted images. You can use the regular processing profiles on Pixel Shifted images, but you're not going to get the clean Pixel Shifted image. It will look like a regular image.

Last edited by The Squirrel Mafia; 07-26-2017 at 10:08 AM.
07-11-2017, 10:20 AM   #364
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
The only thing I can think of is Photoshop using some kind of other color profile instead of the system default or something. If you're using one of the processing profiles that I've created, it won't embed a color profile into the output, meaning that Photoshop, GIMP, or whatever shouldn't ask you if you want to keep using the embeded jpeg color profile or exchange it for something else. Basically, what you see in RawTherapee & if you view the image with Windows Photo Viewer or Windows Photos should look exactly the same, provided that you are using the default ICC profile in Windows. If the image looks the same, but then changes color in Photoshop, you'll need to figure out what color profile Photoshop is using.

I don't have a problem with having a new thread, especially if the developers can help out the users in there. Maybe a RawTherapee ask the developers thread. Aaaawwwwww yyeeeeaaahhh!
Weird, I opened both apps now to try to illustrate the problem, but the colors actually look almost the same, not sure what was the issue yesterday.

But, I noticed that the images still look a bit different, see screenshot here:
rt_vs_ps

It seems that RT is applying something like slight clarity/tonal contrast to the image making the textures pop, but image in PS looks more flat. I can apply something like high pass, but it adds more halo than what RT does while actually doing a worse job making textures pop:

RT:
RT_clarity
ps_clarity

Is there any way to preserve appearance of the image from RT completely, that'd definitely help to reduce the amount of further processing I'd need to do in PS.

07-11-2017, 03:20 PM   #365
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

heckflosse,
I thought I'd let you know so you won't be wasting time on the problem I previously described which affected HDR sub-image saves.

Today, I opened a non-HDR image (K-1 DNG), made a simple mod to it, and tried to save it. RT spent quite a while in demosiacing, but before it finished, closed as it had been doing with the HDR images while saving. I chose not to save a pp with the file (box unchecked).

I tried the same image again, same mod, and this time the save worked fine, so something else is going on and it's not related to multiple files with the same name since only one file was involved. It seems to happen at random.

I think I can live with the issue since there's a workaround (try try again), and I'll wait for the next version of RT to see if the issue persists and go from there.

Thanks again for your input and help
07-11-2017, 06:05 PM   #366

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
heckflosse,
I thought I'd let you know so you won't be wasting time on the problem I previously described which affected HDR sub-image saves.

Today, I opened a non-HDR image (K-1 DNG), made a simple mod to it, and tried to save it. RT spent quite a while in demosiacing, but before it finished, closed as it had been doing with the HDR images while saving. I chose not to save a pp with the file (box unchecked).

I tried the same image again, same mod, and this time the save worked fine, so something else is going on and it's not related to multiple files with the same name since only one file was involved. It seems to happen at random.

I think I can live with the issue since there's a workaround (try try again), and I'll wait for the next version of RT to see if the issue persists and go from there.

Thanks again for your input and help
I still can not reproduce the bug.
Can you try using the latest _dev_ build from here ?

I would recommend to try one of the RawTherapee_dev_5.1_135* builds.
07-11-2017, 07:18 PM   #367
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is there any way to preserve appearance of the image from RT completely, that'd definitely help to reduce the amount of further processing I'd need to do in PS.
Maybe it's the Preview profile in RT that is throwing you off? Try setting up so that your monitor profile preview and output profile and then your color profile in Photoshop all are the same, for example your monitor profile, then you should have things looking the same. (I use Gimp so you'll have to look this up for Photoshop... I use Partha's color corrected version of Gimp though so usually set my output profile in RT to no ICM so I can set to my intended profile in Gimp or just use the default in Gimp...)

07-11-2017, 08:04 PM   #368
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by heckflosse Quote
I still can not reproduce the bug.
Can you try using the latest _dev_ build from here ?

I would recommend to try one of the RawTherapee_dev_5.1_135* builds.
I'm going to be out of town for a couple of days but I will try that when I get back. Do I remove the existing version of RT using Windows, and then install the new version or does it install over the old version?
07-24-2017, 10:31 AM - 2 Likes   #369
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Looks like version 5.2 is out for the Mac & will be out for Windows very soon. Same thing for Linux versions.

RawTherapee Downloads

^ That runtime error in Windows will be fixed now.
07-24-2017, 12:35 PM   #370
Veteran Member

Thank you very much!
07-26-2017, 10:08 AM - 2 Likes   #371
Pentaxian

Original Poster
UPDATE!

Version 5.2 is finally out for Windows.

Direct Windows 64bit Download

I'm attaching a new batch of processing profiles with some minor updates. I was playing around with some Q-S1 RAW files & noticed that the colors would change or desaturate a bit when applying one of my processing profiles. I eventually figured out that the Input Profile setting in Color Management was set to Camera Standard. I switched it to Auto-matched camera profile. That will take first priority & if no camera profile is found, it will automatically switch to Camera Standard on its own. I also tweaked the tone curve ever so slightly. Download & try them out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to install the processing profiles so that they show up in RawTherapee's Processing Profiles section.

Download the latest processing profiles from one of my most recent posts in this thread. You might have to search a bit. Depending on what version of RawTherapee you have, download the appropriate processing profiles. Extract the folder(s) out of the zip to your desktop or wherever you want.

Once you are done installing RawTherapee, you will need to navigate to RawTherapee's "profiles" folder. Basically the path to the folder should look something like this. It might be named a little different depending on how you installed it, but you get the gist of it.

WINDOWS (need to have administrator privileges)
C:\Program Files\RawTherapee\profiles

LINUX (need to have root privileges like using "gksudo nautilus" in Ubuntu for example)
usr/share/rawtherapee/profiles

Once you navigate to the "profiles" folder where you'll see "BW", "Faded", "Generic", "Pop", "Portrait", etc. folders, place the folder(s) that you extracted from the zip(s) inside the the same "profiles" folder. That is all. Windows might ask you for a confirmation.

It gets a bit more trickier in Linux 'cause you have to set folder permissions or else RawTherapee won't start or if it does start, you might not be able to select your processing profiles. The easiest thing I have found to do is to copy one of the existing folders, rename it, delete its contents, & paste the processing profiles into it. The Linux heads will know what to do.

If you can't install the processing profiles into that "profiles" folder for whatever reason, then just manually load the profiles that you want to use by pressing the "folder" button right next the area where you select the processing profiles on the upper right hand side in RawTherapee. You navigate to wherever you placed the processing profiles at.

But wait! What do the processing profiles do? They are a good starting point for developing pictures. Instead of fumbling around with the all the options trying to figure out the optimal setting, these profiles have the settings kind of figured out for you. Once you select the appropriate processing profile, you can start tweaking color, exposure, or whatever else to your liking.

Remember that the PIXEL SHIFT processing profiles are for Pixel Shifted images. You'll get weird looking images if you use them on non-Pixel Shifted images. You can use the regular processing profiles on Pixel Shifted images, but you're not going to get the clean Pixel Shifted image. It will look like a regular image.

Last edited by The Squirrel Mafia; 09-21-2017 at 09:00 AM.
07-28-2017, 10:16 PM   #372
Forum Member

Hi,

I have dowloaded rawtherepee 5.2, when i look in the dcp profiles there are some for k10 and k5 etc. However when i try to load them via the folder button when i click on the dcpprofiles folder it seems empty. I have the dcpprofiles open in widows explorer i can drag them into the load processing parameter box, when i click load all files the box closes. Also i managed to click on a couple of profiles that seemed to load as custom profiles. When i reopened rawtherepee they had dissappeared. Also the dcp files have the adobe icon on them is this stopping them from loading?.

here is the dcpprofiles that were in rawtherepee 5.2

and in the profiles box, when i click on the to load the folder is empty.

Thanks

I downloaded these
File Type: zip 2017-07-26 Processing Profiles - 5.2 AMAZE NON-PIXEL SHIFT.zip

they seem to have loaded..but clicking on it says custom in the profiles, and i didn`t see them.
Attached Images

Last edited by scotty1; 07-28-2017 at 10:36 PM. Reason: txt
07-29-2017, 03:58 AM   #373
Forum Member

I will just have to stick to the bundled profiles, as i have tried all sorts to add the processing profiles. I can still get good results from rawtherepee without them

Perhaps a way to make rawtherepee even better, would be to have these camera dcp profiles already installed in future versions.
So even I could use them

Last edited by scotty1; 07-29-2017 at 06:57 AM. Reason: add txt
07-29-2017, 08:41 AM   #374
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is there a way to import LR lens profiles into RT? I use Rokinon 14 2.8, and it needs to be highly corrected unfortunately

EDIT: found a way, easy enough

Last edited by awscreo; 07-29-2017 at 08:48 AM.
07-29-2017, 03:57 PM   #375
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is there a way to import LR lens profiles into RT? I use Rokinon 14 2.8, and it needs to be highly corrected unfortunately

EDIT: found a way, easy enough
If it relates to RT, do you mind sharing? I have the Vivitar 14mm and would be interested in your method although I don't see too many problems with the lens that need correction other than edge distortion which is just part of all superwide lenses.

---------- Post added 07-29-2017 at 05:08 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
UPDATE!

Version 5.2 is finally out for Windows.........................
I'm sure this has been explained along the way but what is the proper way to update to a new version of RT in Windows? I'm a newbie to RT and just started with the previous version but it sticks in my mind (from reading this thread way back somewhere) that updating is a two step process and involves deleting some files in addition to removing the old RT version????

Is it just as simple as removing RT using Windows and then installing the new version? Is there a way to preserve profiles created in the older version?

Thanks
Closed Thread