Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2016, 01:33 PM   #31
Forum Member

I greatly appreciate the files. New to the photo world and the programs are the hardest to work right for me so this saves a lot of time.

01-19-2016, 02:04 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ No problem. Hopefully they'll help you out. There are so many image processing options inside of RawTherapee that it can be almost overwhelming, but once you start figuring them out, the program becomes more addicting 'cause now you're trying to tweak the last ounce of detail from that RAW file! Haha!
01-21-2016, 09:39 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Original Poster
TIP OF THE DAY!

HaldCLUT! Film simulations are awesome! If you haven't done so, follow the instructions on the first post to enable the film simulations. You basically download that file & extract it somewhere in your PC. Probably in your personal folder or home directory. Then you need to set it up in RawTherapee. Restart it & you're gold!

How do I use it? Open up a RAW file & use one of the processing profiles for the ISO that the image has. Once you're done with that, go to the Color tab. Scroll down to Film Simulation & turn it on. When you click on the big button, you will see a menu for Black-and-White, Color, etc. You basically navigate to your desired film & apply it. You have all kinds of film effects. Check out the Rollei Retro 80's in B&W. It's pretty extreme. I also like the Lomography X-Pro Slide 200 color film. There are so many film options that I'll drive you nuts trying to pick out the look you want! There is also a Strength slider that can reduce the intensity of the look. Maybe you like a particular film simulation, but it might be a bit too much. Slide down the Strength & suddenly you might see exactly what you want.

Have fun!
01-21-2016, 02:31 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
Check out the Rollei Retro 80's in B&W. It's pretty extreme. I also like the Lomography X-Pro Slide 200 color film. There are so many film options that I'll drive you nuts trying to pick out the look you want!
My most often used for color are the Fuji 400's and the Portra 160's... For BW I like the Ilfords.

01-26-2016, 02:10 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The latest development version is out: 4.2.699.

It seems to run a little bit faster than the previous version.

http://rawtherapee.com/releases_head/windows/RawTherapee_WinVista_64_4.2.699-g3c016c4_gtk3.zip

^ Download the 64bit version for Windows Vista & higher here.

For the 32bit Windows users, here is the latest build: 4.2.697.

http://rawtherapee.com/releases_head/windows/RawTherapee_WinXP_32_gtk3_release_4.2.697.zip

^ Download the 32bit version for Windows XP & higher here.

http://50.87.144.65/~rt/w/index.php?title=The_Floating_Point_Engine

^ There is some more "limitations" info for 32bit users.
01-26-2016, 03:10 PM   #36
Pentaxian

The latest development version is out: 4.2.699.
I didn't notice any speed improvements but also came from .694 so maybe the improvements have been incremental... Did find some new options in the Retinex tool that I'm trying to figure out how to benefit from (the masking stuff)... Don't know how long they've been there because I usually always use the same settings for it whenever I want to use it..
01-26-2016, 04:21 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Funny, I just downloaded RT and then this thread popped up in the "Latest". Good thing too: I was totally intimidated by the interface--don't have a clue where to begin. Where can I find a good tutorial for dummies?
01-26-2016, 07:02 PM   #38

dadipentak:

In case you haven't found it yet, here's a link to the RawTherapee wiki:

http://50.87.144.65/~rt/w/index.php?title=Main_Page

01-26-2016, 07:53 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mspadazzi Quote
here's a link to the RawTherapee wiki:
Thanks! The perfect winter project.
01-27-2016, 08:39 AM - 1 Like   #40
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
I didn't notice any speed improvements but also came from .694 so maybe the improvements have been incremental... Did find some new options in the Retinex tool that I'm trying to figure out how to benefit from (the masking stuff)... Don't know how long they've been there because I usually always use the same settings for it whenever I want to use it..
I worded that wrong. This version starts up faster, but it's the same thereafter. The previous GTK3 version would lag a bit to start up.

I'm also trying to see what the Retinex can do.

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Funny, I just downloaded RT and then this thread popped up in the "Latest". Good thing too: I was totally intimidated by the interface--don't have a clue where to begin. Where can I find a good tutorial for dummies?
The official documentation is a great place to start & YouTube has some stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=RAWTHERAPEE

^ Here are a few videos that can get you started.
01-27-2016, 10:25 AM   #41
Pentaxian

This version starts up faster
For me on Win64 it's still starting up pretty slowly, at least when I start the full version... If I open just one image with it, which I often do, it's always been pretty fast...
01-28-2016, 06:07 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I played with RT quite a bit a few years ago. It seemed to me to be the the tweaker's raw converter. Granted, this was a major version back and 32 bit, but has the stability in Windows been improved? I liked the results, but dealing with the file management and then system crashes had me abandoning the program by version 3.
01-28-2016, 08:38 AM   #43
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ In general, stability has been far improved. Stable version 4.2.1 for Windows 64bit is rock solid. I've never had a single issue with it.

http://rawtherapee.com/releases_head/windows/RawTherapee_WinVista_64_4.2.1.exe.zip

^ It's only for the 64bit version of Windows, though. I figure that at least 75% of Windows users worldwide are on a 64bit machine by now, though. I also use the stable versions in Debian, Ubuntu, Linux Mint, & CentOS linux distros.

Even the development versions are very stable. They'll occasionally have small quirks, like the save window going behind everything else & not being able to get to it unless you "alt+tab" your way through the programs to get to it. The version just before the latest 4.2.699 crashed on me only once & that's probably 'cause I was doing several things at the same time while it was processing an image. I'm hoping for a stable version soon. The last one was done on October 25, 2014. They're overdue for a new stable version.

The plus side to the development versions are the new tools that are not yet available in the stable version that give you way more processing options. Probably too many more. Hahaa! That & the latest cameras are supported if you're shooting with other newer cameras.

Give it a shot. You'll probably be pretty thrilled with it.

On another note, I'll be uploading some updated processing profiles. I have to basically do one for the stable version & one for the development version. When using the development profiles on the stable version, for some strange reason, the luminance noise reduction turns on & kind of washes out some of the fine details in higher ISO pics. I notcied this a while ago & attempted to fix it, but then other issues arise in the development version when I do that. It's a never ending battle.
01-28-2016, 10:22 PM   #44
Pentaxian

Original Poster
UPDATE!

I uploaded new profiles. I did some minor tweaks. One development set for of profiles for the latest version of RawTherapee & one stable set for Version 4.2.1 or earlier on Windows or Linux. Download the appropriate profiles for your version of RawTherapee.

Have fun!
02-02-2016, 01:08 PM   #45
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I've been toying around with SILKYPIX that came with my K-50 recently. Been trying to get the noise to detail & color results out of it. Its pretty limited & 32bit based. I even downloaded Developer Studio Pro 7 to try out. The new version has way more tools & options, but no matter what I do, I can't seem to get the most fine detail out of it. SILKYPIX does put out the closest colors to the oringinal JPEGs, though. I do like that a lot. However, there are times when some of the colors seem to be oversaturated in SILKYPIX, which in turn makes higher ISO images look kind of flat or "cartoony" looking, similar to what the Pentax in camera JPEG engine does at higher ISO. In the end, the photos that I get out of RawTherapee look more "real", if you get what I mean.

Color is my next project. I think I have maxed out the amount of fine detail that can be extracted out of the RAW files in RawTherapee. I want to concentrate on getting more accurate & awesome colors out of the RAW files. I've toyed with the ProPhoto profile & that seems to overblow the pinks, reds, magentas, & other colors out of proportion. I currently use the sRGB color, but sometimes that seems to wash out the colors ever so slightly, even though they seem closer to what they really are. The HaldCLUT film simulations are awesome, but I bet if I had the color sport on, they would look even better when applied. I need to find a balance. So yeah! I need to calibrate my monitor & get some color checking stuff to get better color accuracy.

As for now, I used the Adobe DNG Profiler to create dcpprofiles for Pentax DSLR & mirrorless cameras that produce a DNG RAW file. I used base ISO DNG files & the embedded camera profiles when creating them, not the Adobe standard. Most start with PENTAX. Some newer models start with RICOH PENTAX. The processing profiles are set to automatically look for the correct dcpprofile. Don't rename the dcpprofile unless you know what you're doing 'cause RawTherapee will default to "Camera standard".

Since all 22 dcpprofiles together accumulate to a tiny 139kb size, you can basically dump all of them into the dcpprofiles folder. That or you can just pick out the one you need. The path looks something like this:

C:\Program Files\RawTherapee\dcpprofiles

You might get a confirmation about overwriting some of them. You can either overwrite or use these newer ones.

OK! Have fun!

Last edited by The Squirrel Mafia; 12-16-2016 at 09:43 AM.
Closed Thread