Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 130 Likes Search this Thread
08-27-2018, 12:40 PM   #511
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DSLRnovice Quote
When I use RT I notice the default color is different than my camera and the settings like Natural, and Landscape in DCU. Is there a way to load a photo with the same settings used in the camera like in DCU5?

Dan
You can use .dcp files with Rawtherapee. If you have Adobe Camera Raw/Adobe DNG converter or just a free trial install you can search your computer for *.dcp files and use them with RT. If I remember correctly the various types, natural, bright portrait etc., should be available. Note however that you can't really get identical results across software without a huge amount of work.

There's some info about dcp files here:
How to get LCP and DCP profiles - RawPedia

08-27-2018, 01:24 PM   #512

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
You can use .dcp files with Rawtherapee. If you have Adobe Camera Raw/Adobe DNG converter or just a free trial install you can search your computer for *.dcp files and use them with RT. If I remember correctly the various types, natural, bright portrait etc., should be available. Note however that you can't really get identical results across software without a huge amount of work.

Thanks for the help. I found a DCP file for the K-1 in the Rawtherapee directory. Is it necessary to convert them before using them in RT?

Dan
08-27-2018, 05:13 PM   #513
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I find RT working really well with gr files. The high iso presets shared here - are they designed for high mp sensors? I tried it with high iso gr but the file ended up really smoothed out, I think I'm gonna have to dial it back a bit)

Last edited by awscreo; 08-27-2018 at 06:49 PM.
08-27-2018, 06:04 PM   #514

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote

Finally found how to load the K-1 DCP file. It looks like each image has to be set individually. If I set the DCP file in custom, it shows up in the PP3 file for that image. However, if I set it to "automatched camera profile" the PP3 does not indicate the K-1 in color management. Is this simply doing it in the background?

My real problem was that the monitor profile was not automatically set in RT. When I corrected that my images looked closer to what i saw in DCU.

Last edited by DSLRnovice; 08-28-2018 at 07:40 AM.
08-28-2018, 10:25 AM - 1 Like   #515
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Thanks for the help. I found a DCP file for the K-1 in the Rawtherapee directory. Is it necessary to convert them before using them in RT?Dan
That's the dcp shipped with RT. It's probably auto applied when you open K-1 files, the default setting if you will. I think the K-1 has a properly created dcp in RT so the colours should come out very accurate when using that dcp. Accurate is different to pleasing however and the Pentax profiles are tuned for Pentax colours not accurate colours. Those profiles you have to get from Adobe Software according to the link i pasted above. I think those profiles are supplied to Adobe by Pentax but I'm not sure.

Finally found how to load the K-1 DCP file. It looks like each image has to be set individually. If I set the DCP file in custom, it shows up in the PP3 file for that image. However, if I set it to "automatched camera profile" the PP3 does not indicate the K-1 in color management. Is this simply doing it in the background?My real problem was that the monitor profile was not automatically set in RT. When I corrected that my images looked closer to what i saw in DCU.
When "Auto-matched camera profile" is selected under "Colour Management" I believe the RT dcp is active. As explained above this is a colour accurate profile.

If you shoot DNG rather than PEF you can also select "Camera Standard" which should load the profile embedded in the DNG. This should give you the closest match to sooc jpegs.

To auto apply custom settings to your image files save a custom .pp3 file (top right save icon) and go into preferences > Image processing tab > For raw photos > Dynamic then create a new Dynamic profile rule under that tab. Specifying your camera, lens etc according to your preferences. There's some info at this link:
Dynamic processing profiles - RawPedia
08-29-2018, 03:46 PM   #516
Forum Member

Can I still find the dcp profiles mentioned in the first post somewhere? They don't seem to be among the thread attachments.
09-09-2018, 08:21 AM   #517
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been playing around quite a bit with RawTherapee lately, really trying to use it in a Lightroom-equivalent workflow. The Squirrel Mafia pp3 files from this thread are a huge help, along with the things like the punchier tone curves. I'm just now to the point where I can get largely equivalent results (at least by my eyeballs) to what I'm getting out of Lightroom, including with higher ISO shots.

A few observations/questions:
- When I apply, say, the ISO 800 pp3 to a RAW file it immediately seems to lose punch. It's lower contrast, almost always underexposed (exposure compensation seems all over the place - not entirely sure what's going on there), very much non-punchy. Almost as though RT was using the camera presets when I open the file and the pp3 flatlines that. Is that what's happening?

- If I bump exposure and contrast and a few other things I can get the files back to where they were upon opening, and then some. Like I said, I'm getting fairly comparable results to Lightroom. I did make my own version of the punchy tone curve because Squirrel Mafia's was a little too punchy for me... but that's just personal preference.

- Because of the two previous bullets I'm making my own pp3s based on Squirrel Mafia's. ISO 800 is pretty good, just because I took some pictures of my kids playing soccer on a grey, overcast morning yesterday and a lot of them were around 800 so that's what I focused on first.

- I still don't begin to comprehend about 3/4ths of the settings in RT. But my comfort level of where the important stuff is, is gradually getting better.

But all in all I'm pretty happy. This is the first time I've been able to get Lightroom-like results out of Linux, which makes me hopeful I could eventually transition completely away from Adobe.

09-10-2018, 08:27 AM   #518
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
I've been playing around quite a bit with RawTherapee lately, really trying to use it in a Lightroom-equivalent workflow. The Squirrel Mafia pp3 files from this thread are a huge help, along with the things like the punchier tone curves. I'm just now to the point where I can get largely equivalent results (at least by my eyeballs) to what I'm getting out of Lightroom, including with higher ISO shots.

A few observations/questions:
- When I apply, say, the ISO 800 pp3 to a RAW file it immediately seems to lose punch. It's lower contrast, almost always underexposed (exposure compensation seems all over the place - not entirely sure what's going on there), very much non-punchy. Almost as though RT was using the camera presets when I open the file and the pp3 flatlines that. Is that what's happening?

- If I bump exposure and contrast and a few other things I can get the files back to where they were upon opening, and then some. Like I said, I'm getting fairly comparable results to Lightroom. I did make my own version of the punchy tone curve because Squirrel Mafia's was a little too punchy for me... but that's just personal preference.

- Because of the two previous bullets I'm making my own pp3s based on Squirrel Mafia's. ISO 800 is pretty good, just because I took some pictures of my kids playing soccer on a grey, overcast morning yesterday and a lot of them were around 800 so that's what I focused on first.

- I still don't begin to comprehend about 3/4ths of the settings in RT. But my comfort level of where the important stuff is, is gradually getting better.

But all in all I'm pretty happy. This is the first time I've been able to get Lightroom-like results out of Linux, which makes me hopeful I could eventually transition completely away from Adobe.
The PP3 files are set to match the jpeg tone curve that's embedded in the RAW file. Sometimes it can look a little flat. You'll have to tweak it to your liking at times. It's also using the film-like tone curve by default. It will tone down a few colors by default. If you switch the curve to standard, some colors regain their punchiness. I'm hoping that the developers can eventually change it to whatever curve you want to use. For now it's defaulted to film-like.

It's great that you're making your own PP3 files! RawTherapee seems to have a very massive learning curve, but once you kind of figure it out, it becomes insanely easy to use. It's like really hard at first & then insanely easy. Just takes a bit of time to get used to it. I can use it to batch photos very quickly. You can even search by ISO & other settings. Like find all RAW files withing a certain ISO range to apply the proper PP3 file & then batch them away to wherever you want to batch them to.

This is pretty much the only program that I use to develop RAW files. I compile my own version on Windows once a week to get the newest one available. You can also compile a version on Linux. I do use DxO on occasion, but I'm using it far less now. I also use PDCU on occasion as well, but it's so laggy & buggy that it drives me nuts.
09-13-2018, 12:23 PM   #519
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just realized that RawTherapee doesn't have a spot removal tool (unless I missed it). Hmmm. That's a pretty big miss for me. I suppose I can export to GIMP after everything else is done and learn to use cloning tools, etc there. But this is something that's very simple in Lightroom, and it's something I use pretty frequently.
09-14-2018, 05:20 AM   #520
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just realized that RawTherapee doesn't have a spot removal tool (unless I missed it). Hmmm. That's a pretty big miss for me. I suppose I can export to GIMP after everything else is done and learn to use cloning tools, etc there. But this is something that's very simple in Lightroom, and it's something I use pretty frequently.
That is the one thing missing which would make it a complete one stop shop. I either export to Gimp, or if I know beforehand I’ll need a spot tool, I’ll use Darktable for that image. The spot tool there is very good.
09-14-2018, 09:00 AM   #521
Pentaxian

Original Poster
There's a "newlocallab" version that allows you to edit parts of the image. Here's a direct link for the windows 64bit version. You can find out more about it from this page. They're available on Linux too.
09-15-2018, 08:17 AM   #522
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
There's a "newlocallab" version that allows you to edit parts of the image. Here's a direct link for the windows 64bit version. You can find out more about it from this page. They're available on Linux too.
I downloaded the newlocallab version, ran it, picked a jpg I knew has a spot on it. I spent 15 minutes trying to figure out how to remove the spot... and totally failed. Part of the issue is that the only documentation I can find on this version and its features is in French, so I Google translated it and maybe something was lost. It appears to suggest that spot removal isn't really what this is meant for but you can do it. Didn't work for me.

Then I fired up Darktable for the first time in two months and the spot was gone inside of 45 seconds, and I really don't know what I'm doing in Darktable. It was trivial. So I guess for now spot removal stays in the realm of Darktable and Lightroom.
09-16-2018, 05:23 AM   #523
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a general question... what's a recommended workflow for RawTherapee using an external editor just for spot removal? I'd rather not do everything else in RT and then have to export a huge TIFF file just for spot editing. I know I can't non-destructively edit jpgs, but if I have it just right in RT then use Darktable, GIMP or something else for spot removal on the jpg? If something gets screwed up or I want to tweak the RAW file then the limitation seems to be I have to re-spot remove on the new jpg. Am I introducing any other limitations by doing that?

Any other ideas? My plan B/C would be just do all of my editing that requires spot removal in Lightroom 6.

The other mitigation is clean all the crud off my sensors.
09-16-2018, 12:15 PM - 2 Likes   #524
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have a general question... what's a recommended workflow for RawTherapee using an external editor just for spot removal? I'd rather not do everything else in RT and then have to export a huge TIFF file just for spot editing. I know I can't non-destructively edit jpgs, but if I have it just right in RT then use Darktable, GIMP or something else for spot removal on the jpg? If something gets screwed up or I want to tweak the RAW file then the limitation seems to be I have to re-spot remove on the new jpg. Am I introducing any other limitations by doing that?

Any other ideas? My plan B/C would be just do all of my editing that requires spot removal in Lightroom 6.

The other mitigation is clean all the crud off my sensors.
I've started a spot-removal branch few years ago (IIRC) - and that's why the locallab branch doesn't include it - but the engine is not so simple to tweak because we compute only the viewed part of the image. In the case of spot removal, the source can be out of the preview, so it's a bit of work in the engine. However there's so much demand for this feature (and my camera's sensor is not so clean either) that I'll probably give it a second chance once my actual work in progress is finished (small patches).

Otherwise yes, the idea is to edit the image in RT as much as possible, then send to Gimp or whatever you prefer (but Gimp now open float images!) and do you local stuff there. Alternatively, there's an RT plugin for Gimp, but you can't do everything in RT as of now.
09-16-2018, 06:14 PM   #525
Veteran Member

Curious, is there any way to achieve similar shadow/highlight functionality as lr/capture one? I really really like the colors I get from RT, but I get weird results when I try to mess with highlights and shadows panels. I kind of get similar results with the blacks slider, but LR seems to get more detail from the highlights. Can someone point me in the right direction?
Closed Thread