Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2016, 09:10 AM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
SILKYPIX does put out the closest colors to the oringinal JPEGs, though.
If you like what Silkypix 3.0 ( what comes with the K30/K50 ) does with colour, you should try PDCU 5. With the admittedly limited testing I did a couple of years ago, I found I could never quite get Silkypix to generate as pleasing colours as PDCU.
The same image coming out of Silkypix always had this certain colour cast that was absent from the output of PDCU.

Also, I found PDCU struck a better balance of extracting detail without excessive noise. I could never match it using either Silkypix or Rawtherapee. But I admit there were so many options in Rawtherapee that I was a bit confused and overwhelmed.

If you've managed to find the "secret sauce", then congrats! Hopefully I'll someday find the time to read through this whole thread and try out some of your profiles.

02-03-2016, 11:18 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ The problem is getting PDCU 5. It seems that you can only get it with a recent Pentax camera. Can't get it on the Pentax website or anywhere else. I haven't tried it yet, but I wouldn't mind trying it to see how it compares to the processing profiles that I have created in RawTherapee.

I think I have found the "secret sauce" as far as getting the most detail versus noise reduction out of RawTherapee. I have gotten to the point where I can extract more detail with RawTherapee than what I can extract with Lightroom. Silkypix has some nice color to it, but the pictures tend to be kind of "smudgy/soft" at high ISO even when I reduce the smoothness.

But yeah. RawTherapee can be overwhelming with all the available options. It's like an overload of options. As it is, the stable version already has a lot of options, but when you compare it to the latest version, you realize that the stable version is quite simple to use. When you open up the latest version of RawTherapee, you're suddenly overwhelmed by the amount of new tools available like retinex, wavelets, & stuff. There are plenty of new tools that I still haven't had a chance to play with yet.
02-03-2016, 12:14 PM   #48
Veteran Member

The problem is getting PDCU 5. It seems that you can only get it with a recent Pentax camera. Can't get it on the Pentax website or anywhere else. I haven't tried it yet, but I wouldn't mind trying it to see how it compares to the processing profiles that I have created in RawTherapee.
You can download PDCU from the Pentax website, and there's a trick to install it that's been published mutliple times on the forum. You just have to name a volume ( like a thumb drive ) with a certain name and the software will install.

Had to dig around through old threads till I found this:

Originally posted by pid Quote
You dont need a CD at all! you just have to name a volume odr a SD card on your desktop with the name of the original K-3 CD and the updater is working and installing the compleat software.
Name it: "S-SW140" and run the updater. It has no effect to the data on the named volume, so you can use what you want.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/309024-pentax-digit...#ixzz3z8OFHIuY

Last edited by arkav; 02-03-2016 at 12:20 PM.
02-03-2016, 01:15 PM   #49
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ Cool beans! I'll see if I can give it a whirl later this afternoon. Thanks!

02-03-2016, 01:36 PM   #50
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
^ Cool beans! I'll see if I can give it a whirl later this afternoon. Thanks!
cool beans for whirled peas!
02-04-2016, 11:43 AM   #51
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

So I got the PCDU to work. Did a "virtual" CD drive to get it to install. I toyed around with it. It's actually very simple to use. It's basically a streamlined version of SILKYPIX specifically made for Pentax Cameras.

Funny thing is that every single RAW editor that I have used so far has their own interpretation on how to handle noise. RawTherapee will show it as a very fine grain that preserves detail while Silkypix in general shows the grain a little more smudged up, but it's actually not bad looking at all. Most of the fine detail is still there, but just a tad bit softer. I guess it all comes down to user preference. The cool thing about PDCU is that you can select the color settings just like the in the camera.

I'm going to fiddle around with PDCU some more. I still can't match the sharpness & fine detail that I get from RawTherapee & Lightroom with SILKYPIX/PDCU. There's probably some setting that I'm overlooking or it could be their own way of rendering pictures.
02-04-2016, 01:22 PM   #52
Veteran Member

It's basically a streamlined version of SILKYPIX specifically made for Pentax Cameras.
My suspicion is that it's essentially the same software that is in the Pentax cameras, with a simple UI bolted on. It's more obvious if you look at older versions ( like PDCU 3 that came with my K200D ), where the UI was very primitive.

If it was really just the standard commerical Silkypix software, why go to the bother of designing a separate UI? On the other hand, if it's actually the camera software ( still based on the Silkypix engine ), that would explain the clunky interfaces
that had to be added on for use on a computer.

This would explain why PDCU has exactly the same settings the cameras offer, and is capable of duplicating the cameras' rendering.
02-04-2016, 02:03 PM   #53
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ Interesting. I wonder if Ichikawa soft laboratory Co., Ltd. has some kind of partnership with Pentax or if it's somehow related to Pentax like a subsidiary or something.

02-04-2016, 02:09 PM   #54

^ Interesting. I wonder if Ichikawa soft laboratory Co., Ltd. has some kind of partnership with Pentax or if it's somehow related to Pentax like a subsidiary or something.
Mmmmm yeah, they probably have to do with Pentax's cameras image processing engines.

PDCU processes the files so they look very similar to what I see in my camera's lcd screen.
02-15-2016, 10:13 AM   #55
Pentaxian

Original Poster
UPDATE!

I've updated the processing profiles for the DEVELOPMENT version. Just minor tweaks in the EXPOSURE & DETAIL tabs for all processing profiles: amaze, dcb, igv, & lmmse.

I'll get around to doing the same tweaks to the STABLE processing profiles later on.

I'm getting good at using this program! I'm able to squeeze out more detail & have less noise at higher ISO than what I can do with Lightroom. I can't believe it's not butter.... errrr... that this program is amazingly awesome for being free & open-source. Then again, I love open source. (^o^ ) <3 <3 <3
02-18-2016, 11:17 PM   #56

Software names vary, but Ishikawa licenses bundled development software for Pentax, Casio, Panasonic, FujiFilm, Tamron, and Samsung. I have the bundles for Pentax, FujifFilm, and Panasonic, and as near as I can tell the bundles only work with the camera model they ship with. So I think Pentax and the other manufactures just have independent license agreements.

You gotta love that freeware and shareware, but just in case you are interested Ishikawa is offering upgrades from the bundles to two of their main products, for about $60 or $200 depending on what you want. Its all on their website.
03-07-2016, 11:06 AM   #57
Pentaxian

Original Poster
UPDATE!

A new version of RawTherapee is out!

RawTherapee version 4.2.849 for Windows 64bit.
Direct link for 64bit.

RawTherapee version 4.2.745 for Windows 32bit.
Direct link for 32bit.

If you're on Linux, Mac or some other OS, select your OS & follow instructions.
Direct link to downloads.

Have fun!
03-07-2016, 11:25 AM   #58
Veteran Member

UPDATE!

A new version of RawTherapee is out!

RawTherapee version 4.2.849 for Windows 64bit.
Direct link for 64bit.

RawTherapee version 4.2.745 for Windows 32bit.
Direct link for 32bit.

If you're on Linux, Mac or some other OS, select your OS & follow instructions.
Direct link to downloads.

Have fun!
Many thanks to RawTherapee authors and team for their hardwork!
Is there a place we can read changelog for this release?
03-07-2016, 02:01 PM   #59
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ When you go to the direct download link, there is a "Details" link on the right side that will expand & then you can click on the "Changeset" link, but it's very technical. Basically it's down to the coding & you have to try to figure out what they've been doing.
03-11-2016, 10:00 PM   #60

I have to say THANKYOU to Squirrel Mafia for the work and furthermore it got more people like me to explore further about our camera's raw capability.

I have just began to learn Rawtherapee for little over a month now and I think these type of community involvement will definitely helps a lot.

I've tried between all 4 types of demosaicing profiles and liked IGV immediately. Pictures & colour renders sharper and smoother at high ISO photos.
Closed Thread